[RELEASE] Blood FRENCH MEAT add on released !

Discussion about editing and mapping for Blood.
Le Babe
Well Done

Re: [RELEASE] Blood FRENCH MEAT add on released !

Post by Le Babe » Feb 1st, 2013, 12:24

BloodyCologne wrote:Just finished the fourth level, found the secret level entrance to the hangar :D - will continue here when I have time to play again, perhaps tomorrow !

Review will follow... but as for now... really great, maps 3 and 4 = awesome !!!!

Good to hear man, waiting for the review then, Tedd will be happy.
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Feb 6th, 2013, 02:05

Very nice. My favorite was the Airport map, it felt like a real spiritual successor to "Wrong Side of the Tracks". I wondered why other add-ons didn't explore this setting yet. Didn't reach the secret map, I'll be sure to next time I complete this. Interesting design choices on how you gave the player weapons and introduced enemies. I liked the Easter eggs too, especially the secret:
Spoiler: show
Cabal did 9/11 :P
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

Mateos
New user

Post by Mateos » May 5th, 2013, 12:21

Good morning,

You planned to make a ModDB page, is it still planned? I browse for it and did not find anything bound to Blood :/

Would be a good advertising platform :)

DubTheTruth
New user

Post by DubTheTruth » Jun 24th, 2013, 23:44

In a few words, this was awesome. All the levels were insanely well-thought out and very, very immersive (go play this mod with some earbuds). I liked how the resources from the original game were used, such as Caleb's one-liners, and somehow they all felt new to me.

My favorite map was definitely WestTown, because of all the effort that was obviously put into it. It seems as if it's a normal level at first, but once you actually make your way into Town, it feels as if it's actually a town overrun by Tchernobog's minions. The hall that was splattered with blood everywhere was my personal favorite, when I saw the ghost coming towards me, I was actually pretty scared; and I got that feeling that I just missed a Cultist ritual. The vault that was littered with Phantasms once you grabbed the key in there was also an intense moment.

My definite favorite moment in this add-on was in Corpses Museum, when I stumbled upon the dark room with nothing but white lights and an eerie ghost sound that was also in WestTown's hall of Rituals, in both instances the sound was used to the fullest and I give you guys credit for that.

Great freaking job. Seriously.
"I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings." ~ Max Payne.

Tedd
New user

Post by Tedd » Jul 10th, 2013, 04:31

DubTheTruth wrote:In a few words, this was awesome. All the levels were insanely well-thought out and very, very immersive (go play this mod with some earbuds). I liked how the resources from the original game were used, such as Caleb's one-liners, and somehow they all felt new to me.

My favorite map was definitely WestTown, because of all the effort that was obviously put into it. It seems as if it's a normal level at first, but once you actually make your way into Town, it feels as if it's actually a town overrun by Tchernobog's minions. The hall that was splattered with blood everywhere was my personal favorite, when I saw the ghost coming towards me, I was actually pretty scared; and I got that feeling that I just missed a Cultist ritual. The vault that was littered with Phantasms once you grabbed the key in there was also an intense moment.

My definite favorite moment in this add-on was in Corpses Museum, when I stumbled upon the dark room with nothing but white lights and an eerie ghost sound that was also in WestTown's hall of Rituals, in both instances the sound was used to the fullest and I give you guys credit for that.

Great freaking job. Seriously.
Thanx a lot for playing and give your opinion on the work dude !

Hi every body,
if you are interrest, actualy i working on a addon of doom 2 (32 levels).
I also started an episode 2 for French Meat in pirate islands universe, paused for the moment ( doom 2 addon before !)

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Dec 6th, 2013, 15:18

Good Day MenGentle.

I have decided to attempt to cobble together some manner of review of this exceptional masterpiece if I may say so myself after dissecting this around 2 weeks ago, then I stopped to attend to my duties and finished this sucker today but not without being continually shocked by the constant surprise ambushes.

E1M1 - Full Moon Rebirth

Ahh this was phenomenal! A sleek and authentic rendition of Cradle to Grave with your own style of portraying an alternative to a potential Cemetery, the outside section with all the hedges has a Cryptic Passage vibe to it, I would have said 'Even Death May Die' but it's lacking the winter theme and stonework is more prominent here. I especially loved how you retained all the queues and interactive objects from the original map but in your own style, hence the Bloody Sink and drinkable blood pouches. It was also pretty damn tough! Cultist encounters are numerous and can take you by surprise, especially considering your initially lacking in ammo but a very good nostalgic and great opener to this already promising mod!

E1M2 - West Town

Hmm! I'd have to say this is the weakest map in the set for me, although it's got a great amount of non-linear paths and they seem to merge back onto themselves, I think it suffers from symmetrical problems particularly when you first enter the town, also the constant use of brown was very bland and sour for the eyes, we don't need a reminder of Quake's Brown World now xD Sure it's packed with Cultist encounters but they seem to make up the majority of battles and it becomes quite stale over time. However I must hand it to you on the rain effect, I'm not certain I've seen that before or if so it's pretty damn impressive.

E1M3 - Cabal's Forest

Well now this was a very impressive venture! The opening immediately reminded me of Cryptic Passage's Boat Docks along with Boggy Creek, moving into the brown warehouses had a 'Post Mortem' feel to it along with that masterful barn/crop field level in 'Bloody Pulp Fiction' You really have to keep on your toes for this one, I constantly crouch when approaching and turning corners and I have to check both around and above me for any sudden Cultists. Moving into the forest just screamed of RATM's Forest of Shadows with all the Cultists hiding behind the numerous trees along with Dead Reckoning's Crystal Lake, what really impressed me was the divergence in paths and you could take different routes throughout. Very good touch on the waterfall section with the adjacent grey caverns, that reminded me of RATM's 'Six Feet Below' in the waterfall area. Their was a constant change of combat tactics in this one which impressed me the most, their were numerous close encounters but also distant fights with Fanatics positioned awkwardly, I really had to start saving here and think before proceeding ahead.

It also becomes apparent by this stage that every time you pick up a key or hit something and double back, you will always find new Cultists have spawned in various spots so I always have to take it slow :x It's a pretty tough challenge on 'Well Done' but a very balanced experience if you keep your eyes open. Going through the Forest onto that above bridge section thing was very smoothly executed and I liked how it linked back to the start when going for a key I think, that area had an 'Even Death May Die' feel to it. Also the random Zealots were amusing, they'll slaughter you instantly if you don't twitch react.

E1M4 - People Juice Factory

Ahahaha someone's been taking inspiration from Bloatoid's Hostile Takeover I see xD You can make a direct comparison with the Sin Lab and Underwater Lab level in that! The actual opening itself has an 'Even Death May Die' and 'Bloody Pulp Fiction' to it, making your way 100ft below into the insidious and humorous factory made of fresh victims, it's all too quiet at first and that's never a good sign! What I liked about this one was the level of exploration, navigating through air ducts, working your way through cargo areas and doubling back to other regions with constant surprise ambushes along the way. The interior parts are definitely reminiscent of 'Spare Parts' and 'Hostile Takeover' as I already mentioned, the amount of machinery and dim lighting had a spooky industrial feel to it, but the highlight of this level was all the amusing experiments within the chambers along with the hilarious Test Subjects xD

E1M5 - Fire Wings Airport

Now then this was a force to be reckoned with! Seriously it was ludicrously tough! The Cabal are everywhere and in high numbers! It's a good thing you were generous with Life Essences as at one point I accidently ran into a group of Fanatics on the upper floor and had to double back, but the tremendous thing was I then approached them from the opposite side and took them by surprise! Good job on the room over room with reflective floor touch though ;) Yes It was a very good tribute to 'Wrong Side of the Tracks' considering you retained the Rare Books Shop and Bar, I think by this point I was wondering whether I had missed the Tesla Cannon, whether it was in a secret or not because I found a secret which had Tesla Charges but hmm still no weapon to contend with! The secret with the 3 Zealots was humorous to say the least, Oh gee a secret and turns out it's probably one of the worst damn encounters in the entire level :lol: My favorite aspect without the doubt was the end xD

E1M6 - Cabalcaida666 Airline

Well all the shaking and commotion at the start was pretty damn funny, the actual design itself reminds me of 'The SIN Campaign's' 3rd map - Sky Rage funnily enough, it's a simple straight forward brawl with Cultists galore and the surprise Zealots encounters. However the ahem surprise behind the Skull door was the best damn implementation of scripting I've ever seen in Blood xD On par with some of RATM's madness I'd have to say, I do like how if you like to keep the player on their toes, even in the exit room where it seems all quiet their is still a damn random Cultist in the corner to catch me off. All in all a short but very good transition stage.

E1M7 - Corpses Museum

Ah this was like RATM's Green Town but with the Museum being more extensive and elaborate by contrast, the opening section with the Hedge Maze was a tad alarming with the nuisance weeds everywhere, but someone called for an Exterminator I guess! Again you show your adeptness with Build with the numerous eye catching effects on display, the upside down bound Innocent, the Guillotine and not to mention the dreaded Nightmare Maze were very interesting places to explore. I was thankful the maze simply consisted of gross pulsating flesh walls and flickering lights to tear at the mind of the player along with Zombies hiding everywhere, placing Cultists there would have more frustrating then fun, so it's good to see you've got a keen eye on maintaining gameplay flow!

The warehouse section towards the end was a good reminder of 'Welcome to Your Life' if not intended, it was pretty tricky with all the decorative objects in the way it's hard to see potential Fanatics and Cultists lurking around corners.

E1M8 - The Clowny Arena

A fitting end map I suppose! But it felt rather Anti-Climatic to me, it seemed sort of rushed and quickly compiled together, you have a short excursion from the train to the inner arena and a slew of goodies before the showdown begins but somehow I was expecting more then just two boss encounters. I was hoping for executed groups of enemies before facing the Dreaming One himself as he would have been pretty tough in those circumstances, was their meant to a credits screen of sorts? Because it just chucked me back to the start with the level restarting after killing Cerberus.

Well this really was a masterful mod all in all, the quality was high throughout and consistent and it was also a very tough odyssey throughout with the continual use of ambushes as I already mentioned, I'm surprised to hear you want to craft a 2nd episode! That may well take another 5 years potentially :shock:

wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Post by wangho » Dec 9th, 2013, 07:29

Good read! I like reading reviews to Blood mods and maps

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Dec 9th, 2013, 22:46

Well met Wangho! Hmm it seems I never left a review for BPF looking at the thread, I think I got carried away and was attempting to write a dissertation and gave up xD

Last I heard you were working on a snow themed Avalanche sort of map, did you ever get around to finishing it? :D
Last edited by Krypto on Dec 12th, 2013, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

L3GEND
Still Kicking

Post by L3GEND » Dec 10th, 2013, 00:24

https://bloodline.eu -regularly posted news, regularly new things
https://archive.bloodline.eu - the biggest blood bank ever made, over 2700 bloody files, from week to week more.
support our work and register !

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Dec 12th, 2013, 19:20

Yep that was my favorite moment of the entire mod as well, apart from the plane crash xD

wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Post by wangho » Dec 13th, 2013, 02:54

Krypto, I havent done any work on it lately since my computer with that HD screwed up. I need to quit being lazy and transfer the files over to my new comp. I have that one and one at a graveyard sort of in the style of Cradle To Grave. Both are about half finished/detailed.

I didnt mean to draw attention to BPF or anything, it's old news by now, but if you'd like to give a review though, I'd read it :)

ssjlance
New user

Post by ssjlance » May 24th, 2014, 17:36

I just started playing this add-on, and I am impressed on so many levels. First thing I loved about it; it's one of the very few add-ons I've played that doesn't require overwriting any of Blood's files. I can just drop it in my Blood folder and not worry about anything other than remembering to launch the INI file. That is seriously a plus to me, as small as it might seem.

And second... the maps I've played so far are just incredibly well done. I'm admittedly awful at Blood, so I've been playing the second level for a couple of days or so (on Lightly Broiled, no less), but I'm REALLY loving the atmosphere of the levels, the way enemies are placed, and I'm really digging the slow gathering of weapons. Instead of just saying, "Oh, I'll use this weapon on this horde of enemies," I actually have to put some thought into how much ammo I have, what I can afford to use, and what will actually be effective. Maybe it's just the first two levels, but I love that TNT is actually sparse. I'm so used to having around 50 at any given time, it's nice to have to try and conserve them for when it's really needed.

Only annoying thing I have noticed is the secrets are apparently pretty damned hard to find. Not really that bad, as it makes it all the more rewarding to actually find them, but I ran around the first level for half an hour JUST looking for secrets, and I could only find one. Maybe I just suck, though. lol