Stephen Weyte reveals who voiced the Cultists....

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Stephen Weyte reveals who voiced the Cultists....

Post by Blood of Nightmares » May 6th, 2013, 03:16

I have recently sent Stephan Weyte an email asking him who voiced the cultists and here's what he had to say.....
Stephan Weyte wrote:Now I did the recordings almost, what, 15 years ago . . over 10 I know, so
trying to remember who was who and what was what in my dotage is very hazy.
However, when I've listened to snatches of Blood, I do recognize my voice in
some other characters but for the life of me, I can't really remember doing
them though, again, I'm pretty sure it's me. I probably tossed them off
very quickly in some recording session . . . Oy, such a talent! Don't know
how much you know about recording these games but even though they're are
around for a long time, the recording sessions are done very quickly . .
time is money and all that. It was my idea, moi; however, to sing and come
up with the apropos songs; that's what made Caleb the different, sardonic
and loveable character that he is! The computer nerds and designers who do
the games ain't theater or film script writers; if allowed, it's the actors
who flesh out what is typically a stereotypical and boring (to me)
character.
Okay? Hope that helps. Pretty sure it was me but, again, can't remember
doing it. Take care, Stephan
Yep it's very obvious that not only did Stephan voiced Caleb but he also voiced the Cultists as well (since if you ever noticed the Cultists sound just like him which they infact have the same/similar dying screams).

meleemario
New user

Re: Stephen Weyte reveals who voiced the Cultists....

Post by meleemario » May 6th, 2013, 04:10

No kidding?! I always suspected that Stephen Weyte Might've had something to do with the Cultists, the similarities in some of their voices really stuck out, and sometimes when Caleb died, the scream he did sometimes (like getting crushed) sounds EXACTLY like the Cultists. I had chalked it off as a bug in the game until now. Excellent, BoN!

Stephen Weyte is the MAN!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 6th, 2013, 10:35

Until as late as the final beta version a somewhat shortened and less iconic cultist scream was used for one of Caleb's deaths, so this made sense to me. It's nice to hear that at least some of the Caleb character was created by Weyte ad-libs. By the sounds of things, however, he won't remember and be able to answer as to what exactly that damn announcement from Wrong Side of the Tracks is about.

Still, Blood's got a few odd and interesting sound bites which it would be nice to track down, like the eternal mystery as to who did the choking hand voice acting...
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 6th, 2013, 13:51

Correction: the cultists themselves use the shorter death scream up to the final beta. It was in the Transfusion project that this same scream was used for Caleb's death.

This is why I shouldn't type on Monday mornings.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » May 6th, 2013, 23:01

It's not particularly surprising considering the great plasticity of his voice, but given as I never heard no cultist in the official online sample catalog (even though Caleb's there) I figured it had to be someone else.

Also, cool to see he does still have time to reply to fan mail 8)

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » May 7th, 2013, 03:49

As a young Bloodite, I had an ambivalent perception of the cultists, thinking they were hags armed with shotguns and machine guns. I also wondered why they had a "youthful" scream upon death, which I associated with male teenagers.

It was not unknown to me that Caleb was "one of the beastiary" after seeing his sprite in the mini-map and help screen animation, which I would enjoy watching repeatedly when I was too scared to proceed in a level. In addition to the sprite, the cultist-like death sound, appearance of decapitated head, and voice made it clear Caleb was not a standard "hero".
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » May 7th, 2013, 17:09

I actually used to perceive cultists as female, too.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » May 7th, 2013, 23:50

Have you tried peeking under the robes? :lol: