The Nightmare Levels

Discussion about Blood II and its addons.
Dopefish
Still Kicking

Post by Dopefish » Apr 18th, 2006, 14:55

Let's not forget the terrible anachronisms that killed the mood and Ishmael's voice.

Ishmael... it seems like he couldn't decide whether he was going to have a dry, cracking voice, or if he was Indian.
Punching contest GO!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Apr 18th, 2006, 18:28

Nice review format, but I think you gave the game a little too much credit. :lol:
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Choronzon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Choronzon » May 17th, 2006, 23:52

Just finished playing them myself. Not completed I just got to Ophelia's level. Already I have a strong suspicion that Monolith looked at the disappointed reviews Blood 2 got, were really pissed off about it, and then released the Nightmare Levels as some kind of bitter comeback.

The first major problem is that it doesnt take itself at all seriously. Blood 2 had this problem but NOTHING like this. So they are all sitting round the campfire and Caleb suddenly vanishes. So Ophelia says "He never was any good at telling stories". Eh... arent you concerned that one of your number just vanished into thin air? Then good old Ishmael quips in requesting some food. What the? This HAS to be some kind of intentional joke.

I loved the feel of Caleb's level with the ice and the darkness and the robed cultists! YAY! But I agree I wish they would shut the fuck up. Still, it helped me locate them when they were sniping me in the opening bit.
I always play any Blood thing on hardest and this was no exception. But even then this was easy as hell. There were several Drudge things at the end of the level... I just walked past them to the exit. Hmm.

When it came to Ophelia's level... what? I have to destroy some photos? Oh God the whole reason for her being there and the task at hand was so ridiculous that I couldnt bring myself to continue. I shall at some point.

I enjoy playing this as I always enjoy playing Blood 2. In the sense that the movement feels good etc. But it angers me because Caleb's level shows that Monolith could have given us a bloody brilliant sequel to the original Blood!

So, first impressions. Well the whole thing is one big joke but it is enjoyable to play. However it is not part of my Blood canon thats for sure.

As I was playing another question popped into my head. Why are people waiting for the Blood source code to be released when the Blood 2 code is there to be used! Im definately going to have a look into it myself.

Thanks to Hellen and Reqiuem for this, the final addition in my now complete Blood collection! :twisted:
Im gonna paint the town red...

Shaggy
Pink on the Inside

Post by Shaggy » May 18th, 2006, 00:17

Choronzon wrote:As I was playing another question popped into my head. Why are people waiting for the Blood source code to be released when the Blood 2 code is there to be used!
lithtech engine sucks. and "people" are waiting for release of blood source code to make blood playable on modern machines (like duke3d or shadow warrior).
signatures are irrelevant. they are for those naive simpletons, who think that they can sum their whole life philosophy in several worlds.
idiots.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » May 18th, 2006, 00:18

Choronzon wrote:So they are all sitting round the campfire and Caleb suddenly vanishes. So Ophelia says "He never was any good at telling stories". Eh... arent you concerned that one of your number just vanished into thin air? Then good old Ishmael quips in requesting some food. What the? This HAS to be some kind of intentional joke.
I'm not sure if you have already noticed but they are the Chosen one, believe me, they can take care of themselves!

Choronzon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Choronzon » May 18th, 2006, 00:19

Shaggy wrote:
Choronzon wrote:As I was playing another question popped into my head. Why are people waiting for the Blood source code to be released when the Blood 2 code is there to be used!
lithtech engine sucks. and "people" are waiting for release of blood source code to make blood playable on modern machines (like duke3d or shadow warrior).
The Build XP thing works fine for me. Except for the higher resolutions. It would be nice to play at the higher resolutions. Still, that winXPfix has allowed me to play the Settlers 2 at 1024x768 again :lol:

Choronzon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Choronzon » May 18th, 2006, 00:21

Daedolon wrote:
Choronzon wrote:So they are all sitting round the campfire and Caleb suddenly vanishes. So Ophelia says "He never was any good at telling stories". Eh... arent you concerned that one of your number just vanished into thin air? Then good old Ishmael quips in requesting some food. What the? This HAS to be some kind of intentional joke.
I'm not sure if you have already noticed but they are the Chosen one, believe me, they can take care of themselves!
Maybe I just take the Blood concept in a more serious way than others do. I mean, they just don't act like Id expect a bunch of undead people to act. The game conveys nothing of the agony of the characters that the backstory does. Who knows.

Shaggy
Pink on the Inside

Post by Shaggy » May 18th, 2006, 00:38

Choronzon wrote:
Shaggy wrote:
The Build XP thing works fine for me. Except for the higher resolutions. It would be nice to play at the higher resolutions. Still, that winXPfix has allowed me to play the Settlers 2 at 1024x768 again :lol:
yeah, but it's sometimes real pain to make blood work nice. source code release would effect in non-problematic usage of higher resolutions (i use lowest possible: 320x200) and adding enhances like polymost, opengl and so on and so forth. nevermind, it's blood2 forum not blood1's ;)
signatures are irrelevant. they are for those naive simpletons, who think that they can sum their whole life philosophy in several worlds.
idiots.

Jethro
Still Kicking

Post by Jethro » May 18th, 2006, 11:15

Reqiuem wrote:- The flayer was quite fun to use.
I'd say it was brilliant :D It was such fun to see pieces of flesh ripped off enemies :drool:
Reqiuem wrote:- The clowns are just reskinned suited cultists who utter the same original sound bytes.
Still, I think it was funnier to shot them than those "man in black" :)
Reqiuem wrote:- More shoddy, poorly directed cutscenes that rarely make any sense.
Again I must disagree, I think most of them were good, and I would call this "lack of sense" "kind of twisted sense of humor".
Reqiuem wrote:- Gabby's voice is even more annoying than usual.
I think it was the same like in Blood 2but she was more talkative than usually.
Reqiuem wrote:- Extremely short (beat it in just over an hour)
Than you didn't finished it od Suicide level or you were running toward exit instead of spilling blood :twisted:

Choronzon wrote: I always play any Blood thing on hardest and this was no exception. But even then this was easy as hell. There were several Drudge things at the end of the level... I just walked past them to the exit. Hmm.
Strange. I was fighting them with flyer for more than 10 minutes. Still, I think you would change your opinion if you'd get through Gabriela's story withdout finding autoshotgun (you need to beat half of level using only knife then :D ). Also, Caleb vs nightmares level was quite challenging (lots of enemies spawning all around you), and final nightmare (big, bad doggy :)) was nearly unbeatable withdout getting it stuck on one of pillars.
Choronzon wrote:When it came to Ophelia's level... what? I have to destroy some photos? Oh God the whole reason for her being there and the task at hand was so ridiculous that I couldnt bring myself to continue. I shall at some point.
This whole addon was meant (or at least I think it was meant) to be a joke. So, in Ophelia's story you're trying to destroy photos, Ishmael is running out of circus and Gabriela is trying to get some sleep :)
Choronzon wrote:As I was playing another question popped into my head. Why are people waiting for the Blood source code to be released when the Blood 2 code is there to be used! Im definately going to have a look into it myself.
The released part of sourcecode was meant to be SDK for mods so it only contains parts (whole?) of this sh1tty netcode and some info about item/weapon/player/enemies representation ingame. It doesn't contain sourcode for graphics (you get only precompiled software engine), physics (am I wrong?), and modules responsible for loading stuff from files.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die

- H. P. Lovecraft

Choronzon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Choronzon » May 18th, 2006, 14:14

Now Im wandering around on one of the upper floors, still on Ophelia's level. Theres flames blocking one of the hallways and I cant figure out how to turn them off or otherwise get round them. Not really enjoying the game. The Gremlins are quite annoying. The level itself is dull.

Hellen
Well Done

Post by Hellen » May 18th, 2006, 14:20

Um.. If I remember correctly, you should jump out of the window in the nearest room to the flames and then use the ladder to get to another room and then to the attic.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » May 18th, 2006, 15:22

That is correct.

I think you're just expecting too much from a Blood II (!) addon. It easily beats the quality of the original game (perhaps excluding some of the maps, like the initial subway and few other places). Most of what Blood II contains, at least I, consider them to be way more boring than the Nightmare levels.

Anyway, isn't the whole point of the levels to be Nightmares the Chosen ones are experiencing (not being able to sleep in a regular bed for instance...), I see no point in stabbing them in the back for being good at what they're supposed to be.

Requiem
Lightly Broiled

Post by Requiem » May 18th, 2006, 16:00

What the...

Blood II > The Nightmare Levels

No contest, Nm levels are terrible no matter how much more like Blood they were!

Jethro: Medium skill...
[quote="Umnir"]The final boss of HL.. It's like running on sharp glass, acid raining on you while there's two pineapples in your ass sideways and bulldogs are trying to eat your balls.[/quote]

Dopefish
Still Kicking

Post by Dopefish » May 19th, 2006, 01:43

The best part of the Nightmare levels was easily the shot glasses and bottles in Caleb's second stage.
Punching contest GO!

RiffRaff1138
New user

Post by RiffRaff1138 » May 22nd, 2006, 06:50

Having just finished both Blood 2 and the Nightmare Levels today, I feel the need to throw in my pair of shiny copper coins.

Cutscenes aside, Blood 2 is a great game, but it's just not Blood, dammit. It's Postal 2, is what it is. Which is far from bad in and of itself, but it's supposed to be Blood, and it isn't.

Nightmare, on the other hand, feels like Blood. Its cutscenes are even worse, but the atmosphere is perfect. And sure, it may be short, but at least it isn't as fricking repetitive as Blood 2. There's, what, three train levels that all look exactly the same; three levels in the city, containing that area around the Motel Hello; Three levels containing that hub in the CabalCo building, one of which consists entirely of that hub. I'd rather play five completely original levels once each than five bland levels over and over.

Plus, robed cultist > suited cultist. Crudux cruo!
[i]Why can't people just be nice?[/i]