Caleb's head: Long Hair or Bald?

Discussion about Blood and its addons.

Bald or Long Hair?

Bald
12
55%
Long Hair
10
45%
 
Total votes: 22

User avatar
Blood of Nightmares
Well Done
Posts: 1674
Joined: May 10th, 2005, 23:17
Location: The Accurate Hall of Epiphany

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Jul 4th, 2009, 23:35

Well to you the truth I also like Caleb with a bald head (also the shadow from his hat that makes him faceless and all you can see his eyes and briefly his mouth) because I think it was also one of Monoliths references to horror films with horror icons being faceless and bald...

Well actually I like both long hair and bald....

User avatar
wangho
Well Done
Posts: 1217
Joined: Oct 31st, 2006, 06:30
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Post by wangho » Jul 5th, 2009, 02:36

When I see him with the cliched long hair, it's always accompanied by the even more cliched "gritted teeth." That particular look is very cliche and has been in heavy use for the past 15 years. It's gotten stupid and is just an easy way for an artist to convey 'tude.

kurt
.PSD
Posts: 1410
Joined: Nov 12th, 2007, 04:21
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind
Contact:

Post by kurt » Jul 5th, 2009, 03:00

Are people still arguing about this?

I thought this matter was already settled...


Image
Image

User avatar
Dimebog
Troll of the Opera
Posts: 2165
Joined: Aug 6th, 2006, 15:48
Contact:

Post by Dimebog » Jul 5th, 2009, 13:18

I deleted some posts because I fucken' can.

You can get back to the topic now.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

User avatar
Final Caleb
Pink on the Inside
Posts: 274
Joined: May 29th, 2006, 12:22
Location: Hungary

Hair mystery revealed

Post by Final Caleb » Aug 25th, 2009, 17:23

I recently asked Kevin Kilstrom about... stuff. He sort of explained this one.

Well, I'll give you the ultimate answer, and I hope it's not too disappointing. I would love to hear the reasons that people came up with and hear the ideas that they might have.
The real reason that Caleb was bald in Blood is because of technical limitations. I always envisioned Caleb as Ash from Evil Dead so for me, he always had short hair that was hidden under his hat. I didn't put hair on the actual Caleb model because by the time I digitized him and cleaned him up, you couldn't see his hair anyway. And actually, the model's head is painted all black (including most of the face) so that it would always be in shadow no matter what kind of lighting he was in.
When it came time to do the cut scenes for the game (which were very low-budget and last minute), the 3D modelers borrowed the stop-motion puppets to use as reference for the 3D models that they were building. When Caleb was made I didn't even think twice to let the modelers know that he is supposed to have hair because I never expected his hat to come off. However, there is that one scene when Caleb is flying end over end backwards and his hat flies off and he's got a completely bald head. I never liked that scene because I never envisioned Caleb as being bald. It never got changed because the 3d guys we had back then weren't the best and it was very difficult to get things changed once they were already animated. You may also have noticed that Caleb doesn't have any ears either.
So there you have it, the unfortunate real reason that Caleb ended up being bald!
Kevin


Altough any other idea and speculation would pull through I guess, since it's not forbidden to draw or describe Caleb being bald only. The myth goes on 8)
It doesn't matter what kind of PC you have, if you can't play BLOOD on it...

User avatar
Blood of Nightmares
Well Done
Posts: 1674
Joined: May 10th, 2005, 23:17
Location: The Accurate Hall of Epiphany

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Aug 25th, 2009, 21:40

I guess these pictures below are the closest accurate depiction I can find (from Kurt's thread and Cube) of what Caleb was originally supposed to look like in the original Blood according to Kevin Kilstrom...

Image Image
Image
Image
Image

am I right?

Edit: Spellchecked Kevin's name
Last edited by Blood of Nightmares on Aug 25th, 2009, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Final Caleb
Pink on the Inside
Posts: 274
Joined: May 29th, 2006, 12:22
Location: Hungary

Post by Final Caleb » Aug 25th, 2009, 22:42

Pretty close. The hairstyle matches most probably.
Just be careful to write names correctly :lol:
It doesn't matter what kind of PC you have, if you can't play BLOOD on it...

User avatar
Blood of Nightmares
Well Done
Posts: 1674
Joined: May 10th, 2005, 23:17
Location: The Accurate Hall of Epiphany

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Aug 25th, 2009, 23:36

Final Caleb wrote:Pretty close. The hairstyle matches most probably
I think the model now basically needs red eyes.

Oh Wait....

When you said "pretty close" and if your talking about Caleb model's actual appearance then I'll I have to say that I agree with you that the Caleb model there looks like a old man or Lenard from Redneck Rampage...

Although I would wish that someone would make a Caleb model similar to the FMV only detailed with short hair added in....

Also to Dimebog/Daedalus/Daedolon/Wangho/whoever thought that Caleb was bald, I hate to break it up to you but it seems that my "bald head because of technical errors" theory was actually correct all along and also the entire "Cabal shaving male members while letting females keep their hair" gender role/divide theory as previously discussed here before (and as depicted in RATM) appears to be completely wrong....
Final Caleb wrote:Just be careful to write names correctly :lol:
I made a correction above

User avatar
mouth
Lightly Broiled
Posts: 870
Joined: Oct 15th, 2004, 15:09
Contact:

Post by mouth » Aug 27th, 2009, 16:18

Press F7 to receive clarity without witnessing cutscenes.

edit: also, approach mirrors. Whooa! Uuh, just me.
Long live the new flesh!

User avatar
Daedalus
Blood is my Medium
Posts: 4418
Joined: Apr 27th, 2004, 00:46
Location: The Door between Worlds
Contact:

Post by Daedalus » Aug 27th, 2009, 16:51

Blood of Nightmares wrote:Also to Dimebog/Daedalus/Daedolon/Wangho/whoever thought that Caleb was bald, I hate to break it up to you but it seems that my "bald head because of technical errors" theory was actually correct all along and also the entire "Cabal shaving male members while letting females keep their hair" gender role/divide theory as previously discussed here before (and as depicted in RATM) appears to be completely wrong....
Kevin Kilstrom, our lord, may be the father of Blood, but his mighty vision does not shape reality. We are here to discuss, praise and build onto Blood, not Kevin Kilstrom's imagination. This is not a Kevin Kilstrom community. To that end, nothing we've postulated is factually incorrect.

The movie Gladiator, starring Russell Crowe, was intended to have a scene in which he combats a rhinoceros in the arena. Due to technical limitations and time constraints, this scene simply was not possible to shoot. Perhaps a few people came out of the bioscope saying; "surely a rhinoceros would've tied the performance together quite nicely!", but that doesn't alter the fact that the movie Gladiator contains no rhinos. Ridley Scott could've approached, shook my hand and apologised for not including a scene with a rhino, but that wouldn't have affected how I feel about his movie and I would only laugh if I saw him talking about rhinos in connection with Gladiator in future. Gladiator is a movie about Russell Crowe fighting in Rome's colosseums, not 'that movie, set in Rome, in which Russel Crowe doesn't fight a rhino'.

This concept applies to almost every form of art ever created.

The only exception to this rule is the senile George Lucas, who deemed it necessary to shit on the Star Wars sequels and say; "I meant to do that". These cheap replications may indeed take over from the old copies in time, but that doesn't change the fact that in the first movie Han shoots first and Mos Eisley is a ghost town, not a video game.

Ultimately, Blood was itself a shot in the dark; a series of chaotic elements thrown together to see what would blend and I maintain that a large part of Blood's "success" can be written purely down to luck. A lot of value which people see in Blood, especially myself, can be ascribed to what is not there, rather than what is. This principle extends to all walks of Blood, one of the most important being Caleb (from Blood 1's) persona and appearance.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

User avatar
Ella
Restraint Resistant
Posts: 944
Joined: Feb 6th, 2008, 12:35
Location: Loathers Mill

Post by Ella » Aug 28th, 2009, 01:30

I wouldn't have compared something as trivial like hair or baldness to a whole additional scene in a movie cut from final production. Then again this is a largely debated subject, so yeah. Although saying this, the idea of the male Chosen shaving their heads isn't an official concept, just a speculation, so certain people who voted bald either went overboard, or have a vivid imagination.

User avatar
Shadowman
The Posty Baby
Posts: 1463
Joined: Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:14
Location: MapEdit
Contact:

Post by Shadowman » Aug 28th, 2009, 03:13

They used different models for like every cutscene.
Image
Achievement Unlocked: <3*
(Since returned to Daedalus.)
Achievement Unlocked: Kickass Chaos Avatar by Ella.

Achievement Unlocked: Best Insult Ever

User avatar
Daedalus
Blood is my Medium
Posts: 4418
Joined: Apr 27th, 2004, 00:46
Location: The Door between Worlds
Contact:

Post by Daedalus » Aug 28th, 2009, 10:29

Ella wrote:I wouldn't have compared something as trivial like hair or baldness to a whole additional scene in a movie cut from final production. Then again this is a largely debated subject, so yeah. Although saying this, the idea of the male Chosen shaving their heads isn't an official concept, just a speculation, so certain people who voted bald either went overboard, or have a vivid imagination.
That the male Chosen should shave their heads is simply logical speculation, that Caleb is bald in Blood is not. To summarise my movie comparisons, all the good intentions in the world do not change what comprises a product. This thread's poll seems to have shifted to what Caleb appearance people prefer, not to what was intended by its creators, for if that was true, as it turns out, the only 'correct' option would be to not vote!
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

User avatar
NAto
Well Done
Posts: 1958
Joined: Jun 3rd, 2005, 16:32

Post by NAto » Aug 28th, 2009, 13:06

Ella wrote:I wouldn't have compared something as trivial like hair or baldness to a whole additional scene in a movie cut from final production.
Your argument hinges on adjectives, which is a fallacy. I think Matt's argument is a good one and deserves a better rebuttal.

In Blood Caleb is bald, and I don't care much about Blood 2. Therefore bald gets my vote.

User avatar
Ella
Restraint Resistant
Posts: 944
Joined: Feb 6th, 2008, 12:35
Location: Loathers Mill

Post by Ella » Aug 28th, 2009, 14:39

I recall stating that i knew it was a heavily debated topic, so in a way i understood Matt's argument, it's just that if this weren't of a severe impact to the person and merely disregarded then i'd raise the point that this debate would be a trivial one at best.

I never disagreed with Matt.

From the judging point now, it's more a matter of preference as stated, which wasn't originally intended from the start, and something i contributed to purposely. But as i've said, to extend Bloods story by means of speculation is exactly that, and only should be held by the persons beliefs in this, not the entire Blood community, and to use this in an argument against hair (as it were) isn't a solid argument.

Post Reply