Shaw's Nightmare

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
musa
New user

Shaw's Nightmare

Post by musa » Jun 8th, 2013, 12:57

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Re: Shaw's Nightmare

Post by Dimebog » Jun 8th, 2013, 13:31

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Which version of the Build engine are you using and for which platform?
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

musa
New user

Post by musa » Jun 8th, 2013, 13:32

The latest one for DOS.

musa
New user

Post by musa » Oct 21st, 2013, 07:27

I have updated the FAQ. It can be downloaded here: here.

musa
New user

Post by musa » May 5th, 2014, 18:47

Shaw's Nightmare has a web page. You can view it here: shawsnightmare.ucoz.com

Bruce777999
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bruce777999 » Jun 8th, 2014, 12:02

Funky graphics, will give it a try though.

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Oct 4th, 2014, 00:58

I saw one of your posts on the now defunct Jonof forum years ago, yet I refrained from joining and replying as I sensed you were a kid, but now that you're older, it's about time you get the news: this game is horrendous in every imaginable way. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

The sprites and the artwork in general look flat and kindergartenish. The hurting sounds resemble someone receiving pleasure as opposed to someone receiving pain. The lighting's nonexistent. The controls remind me of a really bad flight simulator game. The maps got a Chex Quest feel to them, which isn't good. The music is a single string of randomly pitched noise that gets on my nerves quicker than anything else. The whole theme makes sense in your mind only and increasing the difficulty to an usable degree I could not accomplish without closing my eyes.

All in all, I felt utterly discouraged to put myself through any more of this pain, thus I completed it not.

Get this if you don't get anything else: it is but a good thing that you've desired to learn whatever you learned from DOS and the Build Engine, but you're not going anywhere with it. Go play Blood and see if you can figure out exactly what's missing in SN. Return then to us with a refreshed mind, wishing to learn and willing to raise the bar, not for our sake but your own.

musa
New user

Post by musa » Nov 24th, 2014, 20:50

Here is why the project ended up the way it is:
I started Shaw's Nightmare in 2007 but cancelled it because I felt the project was not progressing. Then in 2008 I found the Build Engine and I revived the project. I tried to ask a programmer for help and Nuno Martinez came along to help me but when he found out I was going to sell the project, he quit because I did not discuss it with him. I tried several times to program it myself but failed until in June 2009, but then I lost interest in the project. In 2011 I restarted the project but the computer got formatted and I lost all the data. I restarted in August 2012 (that's where this version of the game comes from). Eduardo Sanchez Barrios came along in September 2012 but for some reason he did not respond to me (this year is when I finally got through to him), when he finally responded he told me he had no time for the project.

I did not have enough people to work on it, and there is so much to do when making a game: programming, making levels, graphics, composing music, and sometimes things didn't go my way. :(