Deus Ex series discussion

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Deus Ex series discussion

Post by Panoptic Blur » Jan 24th, 2012, 18:35

I was going to post a single post in another games thread about this, but I figure the series is big enough to warrant a thread of its own.

Anyway, in the first DX game, in Paris, you can break into an apartment with a couple. Their names are René and O. This was the first time I realized the reference to The Story of O.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Re: Deus Ex series discussion

Post by Panoptic Blur » Jan 24th, 2012, 22:31

In DX1, Buddha statues are partially interactable items. You can destroy them and the game suggests that you should be able to lift them ("That is too heavy to lift") but they never get an outline box and you can't actually move them.

You can also completely break the game by going to Versalife too early.

In the Versalife basement, it's possible to kill Maggie Chow and Bob Page by shooting plasma or rockets at the window they're behind. A spawning glitch means that sometimes you can clip the explosion through the window. If Maggie Chow dies this way, she is removed from the game for good. I seem to recall killing Bob Page this way also causes the game to eventually crash later on when it looks for him and can't find him.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Jan 25th, 2012, 00:24

Update: Killing Bob Page in Versalife means he will not show up in the holotransmitter in Vandenburg. This breaks the game.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Jan 25th, 2012, 09:26

If untrained in heavy weapons, crawling with them is faster than walking (running).
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Jan 25th, 2012, 14:53

The Dragon's Tooth Sword takes up four squares in your inventory, even though you store only the hilt (and you have to go through a nifty little "extend the lightsaber" animation each time you equip it).

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jan 25th, 2012, 16:48

It's actually quite weird that the NPC's get erased completely from the game (who aren't meant to be killed). You would assume that these characters get created from file for specific scene, instead of being erased and then not found. It's almost as the code lives by itself.
LOL HI!