Video Game Music

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
Umnir
Half-homie

Re: Video Game Music

Post by Umnir » Nov 27th, 2010, 14:02

Allrite, I'll play my part in the wonderful ADLIB POWAH times!

Imagine those playing in the background when you dodge huge lasers and plasma balls FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

This is not adlib, but tracker music again. The song file includes the composement (notes and stuff) and samples that the game plays "live". How fucking epic is that song? :D

Sort of ravey, adrenaline pumping action music. Suits beat 'em up well.
LOL HI!

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » Nov 27th, 2010, 14:53

The last track reminds me of that fight scene in the Mortal Kombat movie with Reptile. Now that's a film i definitely haven't seen for a while.

Anyone played the original Devil May Cry? If so then you'd remember the battle themes. Fast paced gritty electronica.

Flock Off! (Griffon Battle):

Lock & Load:

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Nov 27th, 2010, 17:08

Also, all the Resident Evil save rooms
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Nov 27th, 2010, 18:34

Here we have a complete history of the Soviet Union arranged to the tune of Tetris. (Tetris song part starts 50s in.)

With all due apologies in advance to Hellen.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Hellen
Well Done

Post by Hellen » Nov 27th, 2010, 19:26

PriestOfTheBeast wrote:With all due apologies in advance to Hellen.
No biggie!

(I'm not derailing the thread, this one is from the game soundtrack).

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » Nov 27th, 2010, 20:35

morhlis wrote:Also, all the Resident Evil save rooms
The Remake version in this compilation sounds different from the Remake version i'm familiar with. Not entirely sure whether or not it's different with specific releases, but the PAL versions sounds like this:

Going back into horror again, this time with Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare. I absolutely love this track, even though it is simple and straight forward, it is both calm and soothing. Reminds me of the old times i used to play the game 10 so years ago, all the times i was stuck and had to stop and wonder where to progress while this track was playing.

Hellen
Well Done

Post by Hellen » Nov 27th, 2010, 21:26

Olivier Deriviere

and

(made me want to learn Bulgarian)

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Nov 27th, 2010, 22:50

Theme (not the original actual MGS theme) for MGS Snake Eater. I think you can see the 007 influence here, and the brilliance is that this doesn't play when you start to play, but after short intro just like in the named 007 movies. That singer's voice <3

Hitman: codename 47 (the first one) theme, in it's beautiful synthness.
LOL HI!

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Nov 27th, 2010, 23:40

Gotta give the FPS games I grew up on some love, even if they are obvious:

Wolfensteeeeeeeein

ROTT Muthafucka! Eyballs raining dowwwwwn!

As a rule I hate "remastered" midis of the original game music - but this is the only one I could on youtube that approximates how I remeber the background guitar

...and in unrelated genres....every single song from Zombies Ate My Neighbors

(my fav - love the Shining reference)

ok so this aint all of em but you can see the win involved

And what about Maniac Mansion???

okok....Im gonna stop >____>
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Nov 28th, 2010, 00:29

Sorry guise for spamming the tunes, but I feel like posting few more tonight.

Music for the most fucking terrifying gaming experience I remember. The level consists of abandoned sanitarium, habitated by lost souls. I remember a part where I see a cell where this shaking character with some sort of cage apparatus in it's head is sitting back towards the door. I unlock the door for sheer perverse curiosity, sneak VERY slowly towards it and when I get cl..AAAAARGH!

As D mentioned this, Deus Ex soundtrack is also in my very loved soundtracks. It's hard to choose favorite, because it's full of masterpieces. I chose this though, because - especially in the first time(s) - Hong Kong was very VERY atmospheric. This one play in the darker, slower parts of Hong Kong. Mysterious.
LOL HI!

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » Nov 28th, 2010, 15:11

*scroll scroll scroll scroll scroll*

One of the reasons why the Timesplitters series is awesome:

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Nov 28th, 2010, 15:27

Hehehe what a mess!

Conceivably one of my favourite RPG's given my ill disposition towards the genre, it merely isn't my suited preference. An element of favourtism is derived from it's enigmatic setting in contrast to the majority. Rather than the cliche fantasy, medieval setting, here we have a dystopian cyberpunk realm, writhing in the assorted brutality of guns and the eccentricity of magic. With the protagonist having nearly died and awakening to a state of amnesia. The soundtrack is riddled with a cyberpunk, rock sensation.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Nov 28th, 2010, 20:19

Ella wrote: One of the reasons why the Timesplitters series is awesome
Quite surprising for the type of game, sounds something like industrial powernoise.

This soundtrack is more like that the game was made for soundtrack rather than soundtrack made for game. Nuclear wasteland, small town with high radioactivity habitated by insane ghouls. So, so intense.
Imagine wandering accross desert and you haven't eaten in few days, and you just took the last drip from your flask and the sun is violently scorching you... fuuuuuu.

Beautiful game, and so is the soundtrack. :,)

Although I never got into the game, Silent Hill 2 has brilliantly made soundtrack. This is from the more ordinary side if you will, but overall the soundtrack has bold and creative use of synths.
LOL HI!

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » Nov 28th, 2010, 20:58

The thing about the Timesplitters series is that it's terribly underrated, very few people have heard of it, very few people have played it. Seriously, it's saddening since the games are so unbelievably fun, they share a lot of the charm that Blood does, dark humour, a wide and quirky arsenal, the undead, silliness on quite a remarkable level, it's all there. It's only a shame it was a console based game, it would've done great on PC.

Also, i approve of the Fallout soundtrack, despite the fact i've never touched the game.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Nov 29th, 2010, 00:19

Ella wrote:The thing about the Timesplitters series is that it's terribly underrated
TS has had a decent run on consoles. A large number of the staff who worked on Goldeneye007 for the N64 went on to do Timesplitters work. They kept the level design fairly linear, goals fairly simple, and concentrated on a high-octane, fast-moving fun game with lots of action. I'd say they succeeded very well. Even in the age of HALO, Timesplitters set the bar for cinematic silly FPSes. If you ask me, their main failures came when they tried their hand at making serious games like Second Sight (bad controls, interesting psionic powers, indifferent plot) and Haze (a game that was hurriedly shipped before it was finished, and which eventually brought down the entire company).

There are a load of really cool Timesplitters songs. Here are a few of my favorites.

Wild West

Spy-Fi

And while we're on the topic of Goldeneye007, here's the end level music for it - in my opinion one of the best examples of a high-intensity action game soundtrack.

Cradle
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."