The Doom Appreciation Thread

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

The Doom Appreciation Thread

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Jun 21st, 2010, 05:25

As we all know if it weren't for Doom's existence then we wouldn't have gotten our beloved Blood nor we've be sitting down discussing things right now.

Well anyway is there any Doomers here in the Blood community? If so could anyone point out their favorite or the most recommended Doom wads?

Although here's a list of recommended Doom wads I found over at the ZDoom forums. (I think you can find most of these over at idgames or you could simply look at this thread or hell even the entire ZDoom (Projects) and Doomworld wads forums).

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3039/doomwads42810.png

Also there's Doom wad station which contains some of the far more older wads from the 90s

http://doomwadstation.com/

Also the most recommended and popular Doom source port is ZDoom which you can find it (and download it) here.

Joe Hades
New user

Re: The Doom Appreciation Thread

Post by Joe Hades » Jun 21st, 2010, 10:29

I used to play Doom lots, its a good game! I thought Doom II was a bit of a disappointment though, considering you only get 1 new weapon and a few new enemies.

Doom 3 was fun but it was over too quickly and I wish they stuck with the original enemy design and look. I think ID should release the a update that replaces the current 3D models with the same models, only the new ones would have a higher polygon count.

"Im not dead...yet"

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Jun 21st, 2010, 19:44

I used to play Doom, through source ports too. Played mods in (G)ZDoom and Skulltag multiplayer. Some cool mods I remember are UTNT and DE.
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

That_one_guy
Still Kicking

Post by That_one_guy » Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:40

I'm a part time doomer and the wad I reccomend you all give a try is Massmouth 2.

Reconite
Still Kicking

Post by Reconite » Jun 22nd, 2010, 16:45

I play Doom over Skulltag every now and again. My Skulltag folder has hundreds and hundreds of *.wad files due to this. :D

I preferred Final Doom to Doom II, purely because of level design. Final Doom's was fantastic in comparison to Doom 1 and 2.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Reconite11

Lukas
New user

Post by Lukas » Jun 23rd, 2010, 01:14

For (G)Zdoom - All wads made by Tormentor667 (http://www.realm667.com/), Action Doom 1 and 2, Deus Vult 2

For Classic Doom - 2002 : A Doom Odyssey, Alien Vendetta, Icarus - Alien Vanguard, Strain, Plutonia 2

Those are the ones that pop into my head when I think of good doom wads.

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:05

Reconite wrote:I play Doom over Skulltag every now and again. My Skulltag folder has hundreds and hundreds of *.wad files due to this. :D

I preferred Final Doom to Doom II, purely because of level design. Final Doom's was fantastic in comparison to Doom 1 and 2.
Yeah most of the Doom II retail campaign sucks. However, what comes to mind when I remember Doom II is the resources and wads that keep it alive.

Also is your name on ST Reconite too?
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

That_one_guy
Still Kicking

Post by That_one_guy » Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:06

Reconite wrote:I play Doom over Skulltag every now and again. My Skulltag folder has hundreds and hundreds of *.wad files due to this. :D

Yes but when it comes to modding doom 2 is the best choice as it is the most used. But when it comes to Final Doom, TNT Evilution is my favorite. It's got that Doom charm without the insane difficulty of Plutonia.
Last edited by That_one_guy on Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.

That_one_guy
Still Kicking

Post by That_one_guy » Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:11

Well I'm not sure if its the best, as the publics opinion varies from 4 stars to 2 stars, but I create wads when I feel up to the critisism. one of my most fun is Orbital located here.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15969

Lukas
New user

Post by Lukas » Jun 23rd, 2010, 11:26

That_one_guy, not bad. But you definitely need to improve if you want to get on the Best Wads of All Time list. Here's my short review:

The first thing I noticed was the detail - the lack of it :( . I suggest you read some tutorials on how to make your map more pleasing to the eye - there are some great tutorials at Realm667.

Of course eye candy isn't everything. Your map was fun to play, but a little too easy - nevertheless a welcome change of pace. Also it wasn't quite as HUGE as you said, actually it took me a short time to play through.

Overall, 2.5/5.

What I suggest is to open the map in Doom Builder, and add touch ups here and there following the tips on Realm 667.

Reconite
Still Kicking

Post by Reconite » Jun 23rd, 2010, 22:25

MoonStalkeR wrote:Also is your name on ST Reconite too?
Depends what I'm doing. It's usually a bunch of things, most of the time I use "Reconite" though, I think.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Reconite11

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Jun 25th, 2010, 23:25

Oh I certainly am a fan of Doom. I'm a fan and a follower of the FPS from its infancy to be exact. At first I just liked FPS games because they appealed to me so much. But over time I really have got into the history of the industry and the developers, especially those in the early and late 90s. Doom was a seminal game in my childhood. I played it for hours. I downloaded wads, I bought wad packs, I played deathmatch with the few friends I knew that actually owned PCs. Doom was, and still is, super fun to play. Especially if you get a program like ZDoom or GZDoom and play with additional options and higher resolutions. There are some amazing mods out there.
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Jun 25th, 2010, 23:41

I appreciate original Doom 1.

Doom 2 suffers from weird level design and unbalanced difficulty.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Jun 25th, 2010, 23:48

Dimebog wrote:I appreciate original Doom 1.

Doom 2 suffers from weird level design and unbalanced difficulty.
This I agree with. Especially the unbalanced difficulty part.
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Jun 26th, 2010, 16:41

Anyone up for a co-op game on ST? Most likely with these levels.