Backwards Compatibility Solutions — Widescreen and Gameplay

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
Umnir
Half-homie

Re: Backwards Compatibility Solutions — Widescreen and Gamep

Post by Umnir » May 27th, 2010, 07:21

Daedalus wrote:Deus Ex
Im not best with terminology, but I think my laptop screen could be described as widescreen: 1366x768? Deus Ex does support this resolution to my surprise natively, but I just presume your resolution/screen ratio is different.

Thanks for the RA2 idea, I have to try that!
LOL HI!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 27th, 2010, 10:52

Daedolon wrote:... Which is the reason I posted the link, I have personally found the site very useful and informative on my quest to widescreen gaming. I shall soon contribute to this thread on a higher level, though, so that should settle any problems you might have.

'Tis a shame the WarCraft III patch is a cheat for Blizzard, since I wanted to use it but I'd rather not risk losing all my games.
In that case, all is forgiven. I viewed the post as dismissive of my efforts, but if you're looking to add in future, all is well.
Umnir wrote:Im not best with terminology, but I think my laptop screen could be described as widescreen: 1366x768? Deus Ex does support this resolution to my surprise natively, but I just presume your resolution/screen ratio is different.

Thanks for the RA2 idea, I have to try that!
In that case I've a confession to make. Call me weird, but even though I own the game of the year edition, I insist on playing my ancient version of Deus Ex, as I fear any change in the game experience through patching. It is highly possible that a later incarnation might've added some degree of widescreen support. Thanks a lot for the information.

Umnir, have you ever found a means by which to play Age of Empires II in widescreen? I haven't yet succeeded in finding a practical solution for it. Any information on that would greatly empower this thread.

And you are most welcome! Cool little tricks like that is what the thread's all about! :love:
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 27th, 2010, 11:15

GOTY version, as far as I remember, is just Deus Ex with patch added automatically. Do you apply the patch?

As for AoEII, I haven't tried yet. I tried the mod that windowizes the game, but it's pain in the ass to play. I did this to remove the acid colors Win7 produces (and it worked), but I haven't tried the "kill explorer" trick that worked with RA2...
LOL HI!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 27th, 2010, 13:56

As I said, I deliberately and strangely play the archaic version of Deus Ex and don't patch it.

Seems the jury isn't out on the Age of Empires II question yet. I may have to plunge eldritch depths in order to find some means of making it work. My only decent solution so far is to modify my videocard settings to force it to 4:3, but frankly, that just isn't good enough and not everybody can do so. I'll sniff around later.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » May 27th, 2010, 14:26

Daedalus wrote:Seems the jury isn't out on the Age of Empires II question yet.
And the cool writing will always be reserved for me.

:trollface:

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 27th, 2010, 14:30

Shut it.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 27th, 2010, 15:53

Matt, when you are playing Deus Ex again, maybe you should try the patched version for the hell of it? I recall there wasn't any content changing. I can't remember why I originally had to patch it, but I had some problem back in days. But then again, if it works, why change it.. I don't know.

So did I recommend you or not? :lol:
LOL HI!

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Jul 31st, 2010, 16:51

Daedalus wrote:Starcraft: Brood War

Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 3.

No CD fix:

With patch 1.15.2 Starcraft no longer requires the CD to play. Here are the instructions to accomplish this:

- Make sure you have "Hide extensions for known types" unchecked under Explorer Folder Options.
- Copy "INSTALL.EXE" from the StarCraft: Brood War CD to your StarCraft folder and rename it to "BroodWar.mpq".

Hey thanks mate that worked. 500Mb file pffffff, so lame for a no-cd.

It only works with Broodwar though, do you think I can do the same with Starcraft.exe from the starcraft CD ?

You're right about the fullscreen mode on large screens. The menus are horrible but the game colors are all okay (FORTUNATELY !). I remember resolving the color problem with one version of the catalyst driver and using the automatic scaling by the GPU, but with the 10.4 the colors suck. I can't wait for ATI to give us a patch that would solve all problems and not add some everytime.
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Jul 31st, 2010, 22:54

Thanks, Le Babe. A pleasure to help out those here.

If memory serves, the original StarCraft doesn't have the same style of .mpq files that Broodwar and Diablo II used, so I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to use this means for original SC. I know that a 500mb solution's a bit cheap, but it's that, images for the CD, or manual labour.

The original StarCraft CD's only necessary to play the original campaigns and watch the original videos in any case. Not the sort of thing a person would need on a frequent basis. If you're determined to find a no-CD fix for original StarCraft, why not search around and report it here? (;

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Aug 1st, 2010, 00:09

But there already is a no-cd patch for SC1 and also an unofficial windowed-mode patch.

EDIT: Yes, the Blizzard support site explains how to copy the MPQ files for both vanilla and the expansion. You just need to name them differently IIRC. And you need to make sure that you don't have any other Blizzard game CDs mounted in your drives (virtual or physical) because there will be a conflict when it finds those random MPQ files.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Aug 5th, 2010, 13:08

I noticed that my Windowed Alpha Centauri solution has been downloaded seven times. Either we're an Alpha Centauri community in denial, the bots have been up to new tricks, or the Postmortem is secretly lurked by a league of Alpha Centauri fans.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Aug 5th, 2010, 17:59

I think the entire Sacred Community of Alpha Centauri is lurking Posty. All seven of them.

I'll keep a close eye on their activity. If something sinister breaks out, our fourteen bloodites will be able to take them down, no problem.

Bitches don't know about our numerous community.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Aug 5th, 2010, 18:07

Nothing personal, my dear Alpha Centauri Community, but The Interbutts simply isn't big enough for the two of us. I shall ruthlessly crush your fanbase, of course, and shall derive great pleasure from having you executed.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Jan 30th, 2012, 09:46

Daedalus wrote:Dawn of War allows widescreen resolutions natively once the Dark Crusade expansion is installed. Dawn of War's camera distance becomes absolutely stifling on larger monitors and I highly recommend the following files for fixing this particular problem:
Engine.rar
Brilliant! I recently lost my machine to a virus and lost this solution. Now I can play this game in large monitor tolerant glory once again! Thanks, Matt!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Jan 30th, 2012, 09:54

No problem, friend. None should be deprived of the experience that is the finest RTS in the history of mankind.

There are whispers of a widescreen solution for Age of Empires II floating around. I will perform a thorough investigation and report in the future - definitely a game worthy of keeping in top shape. Stay tuned!