Top 10 Games - Any Platform

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Re: Top 10 Games - Any Platform

Post by morhlis » Nov 4th, 2010, 03:08

Illegal content? But I am a member of the pirate party!

lol, no but really ok - I won't ^^
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Nov 4th, 2010, 08:21

I wouldn't normally mind this much off-topicness, but because of the current direction of it, please try to keep it down.

Bruce777999
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bruce777999 » Nov 5th, 2010, 14:31

01. Doom I/II
02. Blood I
03. Quake I
04. Major Motion(Amiga)
05. Warcraft I
06. X - Com I
07. Fallout
08. Bioshock
09. Duotris(C64)
10. many others

wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Post by wangho » Jan 29th, 2011, 03:35

1. Blood (PC)

It's pretty good!

2. Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight (PC)

Being a huge original Star Wars fan, I was instantly drawn into this game. The sights, sounds, atmosphere, and level design were all top-notch! Spent many an hour on the old Jedi Knight IP board joining multiplayer games for a round of Canyon Oasis. The multiplayer was a blast and much better than Jedi Knight's sequels.. (Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy)

3. Robotron 2084 (Arcade)

this old Williams arcade game really gets my blood racing and panic sets in as you have to blast your way out of the enemies closing in on you. Fast paced and with no clutter. The Williams arcade sound effects are top notch as always!

4. Total Annihilation (PC)

This is a really great and often overlooked RTS game from the late 90's. Very cool metallic units and outstanding music. Many, many, MANY mods out there

5. Beavis & Butt-Head: Virtual Stupidity (PC)

Im a huge Beavis & Butt-Head fan, so this one is right up my alley. Just as funny as the MTV cartoon series and a pretty good adventure game to boot!

6. Metroid (NES)

Oldie but a goodie! The music is out of this world and it truly felt like you were exploring some werid alien world in the far reaches of space.

7. Arctic Fox (AppleIIc)

This old game is from the mid-80's when I originally spent hours playing through this thing. I remember the cool box art and studiously reading the packaged maps and reading materials as I navigated the Arctic planetoid looking for enemy tanks and missile silos.

8. Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (XBOX)

I never had as much fun playing an online multiplayer game than with this one! I wish I still had my XBOX so I could play this again. The tanks and choppers were so much fun to ride around in.

9. Crimson Skies (XBOX)

Another fantastic online game with a number of different planes with different abilities to choose from.

10. Doom (PC)- Needs no words

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » Jan 29th, 2011, 03:40

ehh.. i didnt mean to post the top one. Posted too soon.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Jan 29th, 2011, 04:43

Didn't picture you as a RTS guy, Wangho.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Shadowman
The Posty Baby

Post by Shadowman » Jan 29th, 2011, 06:36

None of these are in any particular order. Reasoning is slim if there is any because it's fairly obvious.

1. Sonic 1
2. Sonic 2.
3. Sonic 3.
4. Sonic and Knuckles
5. Blood
6. Sonic Adventure
7. Grim Fandango
8. Sonic CD
9. The entire Worms series.
10. Name a Sonic game. It goes here.*

*Some restrictions apply.
Achievement Unlocked: <3*
(Since returned to Daedalus.)
Achievement Unlocked: Kickass Chaos Avatar by Ella.

Achievement Unlocked: Best Insult Ever

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » Jan 29th, 2011, 07:15

Daedalus wrote:"Sorry but you can only delete your own posts."

Didn't picture you as a RTS guy, Wangho.
oh yeah, I love a GOOD rts... Starcraft, Age of Empires/Mythology, Red Alert 2, Freespace..

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jan 29th, 2011, 12:24

Freespace is now an RTS?

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jan 29th, 2011, 12:49

wangho wrote: 8. Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (XBOX)

I never had as much fun playing an online multiplayer game than with this one! I wish I still had my XBOX so I could play this again. The tanks and choppers were so much fun to ride around in.
You could alway play it with PC? It's better that way anyway.
LOL HI!

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Jan 29th, 2011, 16:35

My favorite RTS is Rise of Nations.

It's a much more economic-based RTS than most, and it has a fairly significant science aspect as well. As with most Brian Reynolds designs, it isn't so much a groundbreaker as just a good, solid refinement of an evolving genre.

You start off with three resources: Food, Timber, Wealth. Later on as you modernize you unlock three more: Knowledge, Metal, and Oil. Units tend to follow a rock-paper-scissors equation: there is no unit that is effective against all other units, and there is no unit that has no vulnerabilities at all. The combat engine is sophisticated enough that a good micromanager can beat an opposing force double its size through clever maneuvering - but in the standard game your strategy cannot prevail without a good economic strategy.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » Jan 29th, 2011, 23:34

Umnir wrote:
wangho wrote: 8. Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (XBOX)

You could alway play it with PC? It's better that way anyway.
I tried both. It's more fun on XBOX than PC for me. It's a LOT tighter gameplay, the PC version required alot more time and devotion I think

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » Jan 29th, 2011, 23:38

Daedolon wrote:Freespace is now an RTS?
Not anymore.. this year it became a Tetris clone

Callum Sanderson
New user

Post by Callum Sanderson » May 3rd, 2011, 15:02

1. Blood
I love 90's first person shooters, and this is one of the best.
I'm a huge horror fanatic and love all the refrences and the style of the game.
It's fun as Hell, the physics, gore and protagonist are better then the other games.
2. Doom II
It pretty much got me into the fps games, it's simple compared to the later (build) games, and little overplayed now but still one of my favourites.
3. Oddworld Abe's Oddysee
Really creative game and alot of replay value to it.
4. Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
being a fan of the 3 abe games, I ignored this for awhile, when I finally got around to play it, I was wish I'd had played it earlier, really enjoyable.
5. Oddworld Abe's Exodus
Along with oddysee, these games are really creative, alot of puzzles, nice story lines, alot of funny momments and the charater designs are original.
6. Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
I loved this game when I was a little kid, the monsters scared me even.
7. Shadow Warrior
I pretty much like SW and Redneck Rampage the same, this is clearly the most developt build engine game.
8. Duke Nukem 3D
not a big fan of the character or the whole duke series, but this was one of the good build games.
9. Oddworld Munch's Oddysee
nice little game, not as good as the others but still it's not a bad game.
10. Witchaven
very sloppy with strange monsters and sound effects this game is a guilty pleasure to me.
Spoiler: show

kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Post by kurt » Sep 21st, 2011, 01:44

I just realized that I've never added my 2 cents to this thread. I've played so many games over the years that its difficult to compile a top ten list of any kind. But I'll attempt to give it a try.

10. Fallout

It's been a long time since I last played Fallout. It was an immersive RPG set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, and even now I'm sure the game would be as enjoyable as it once was. Your character could have numerous differing traits and skills which could significantly effect the gameplay. There were a diverse number of NPC's, and the game itself had an engrossing storyline. I still haven't got around to playing Fallout 3 yet, but it is on my to do list.

9. Painkiller

The game was set in Hell, and in many ways it feels like the spiritual successor to Blood. Unfortuately the real sequel to Blood was actually conceived in Hell so it won't be mentioned here. But in Painkiller you play as a character that has died and you must battle an army of monsters in a variety of interesting settings. These included graveyards, monasteries, an asylum, and an opera house to name a few. An enjoyable game with fun gameplay. I had no complaints.

8. Undying

A true horror classic that unfortunately did not do as well as it should have. Released in 2001 the game had an excellent story, gameplay, and true horror that I've not yet seen replicated in any other game. Set in the 1920's, this setting was at its best in the mansion which was featured in the game. The old ruins nearby also provided a doorway into the past where you had to deal with some angry monks. Spells could be used on the numerous enemies, and the family of ghosts residing in the previously mentioned mansion are unforgettable. A sequel was planned but due to poor sales it never materialized. That's truly unfortunate, but this game remains a true classic that deserves much more recognition than its received.

7.Sanitarium

I truly miss the old adventure games that were once so great in abundance. They often featured incredible stories and a great deal of creativity. Games such as Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, and Sam and Max, were games that are still unforgettable to me. Numerous jokes and a great deal of humor made such games the classics that they now are.

But Sanitarium was a dark and horrifying game that took the player through a journey of madness. It's been quite awhile since I last played it but I recall that it was rather grotesque at times. The voice acting of the main character was unfortunately terrible, but the horrifying settings more then made up for that.

6. The Dark Eye

An interesting and unusual game from 1995 that made me feel as though I was part of someone else's twisted nightmare. The game featured 3d environments and stop motion clay animation to bring to life a truly disturbing environment. It actually made one feel incredibly uneasy. The game revolves around Poe's stories, and in the end the player loses his mind from all of the insanity that he's witnessed. If I had to spend too much time with some of those twisted clay people I might have eventually gone insane as well.

5. Deus Ex

Enough said.

4. System Shock

When released back in 1994 it was dismissed by many as a DOOM clone. But it was unlike anything that had ever come before. It featured a horrifying story on a space station in the future and the game play was innovative and well thought out. Unfortunately the graphics have not aged well, but at the time they were so advanced that most computers had to run the game screen in a very tiny window. A sequel followed some years later with more advanced graphics, and System Shock 2 has become an unforgettable classic. But the original still remains superior in my personal opinion.

3. GTA 4

I've always enjoyed the GTA games just for the hell of it. But the latest installment truly out does the previous games. It took the developers years to build an entire city in 3D that was so incredibly rich in detail and realism. The NPC's act like real people might, if you were to suddenly punch a guy in the head or throw him in front of car. I don't even really care about the story that much. I simply enjoy stealing any car I want and killing anyone that looks at me funny. Whenever I feel bored I'll visit Liberty City and take out my frustrations by causing as much destruction as possible and killing everyone I see.

2. Silent Hill

There have been numerous sequels in the Silent Hill series but the original still remains my favorite. Although the voice acting was terrible in the original Silent Hill, this game truly felt as though you were actually experiencing some kind of fever induced nightmare. Silent Hill 2 may have had superior graphics and a well thought out story, but the original Silent Hill had a way of getting under your skin. The wobbly and wavy 3D models actually enhanced the nightmarish feeling, and the ambient and musical sound were absolutely perfect.

1. BLOOD

It's had a place in my heart since the day it was first released. I maintain a separate WIN98 computer just for this game, and I doubt that I will ever lose interest in it.

Honorable mentions go to:

Blade Runner
A point and click adventure game from 1995 that was set in the Blade Runer universe.

The Longest Journey
Another old school adventure game that I remember fondly. I've never been a teenage girl but in The Longest Journey, I was a teenage girl in the future!

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Another point and click adventure game. It was an incredible game though, that featured a great deal of horror, based on the work of Harlan Ellison. It was about an evil computer that's destroyed all of humanity except for five people, who he's been keeping alive and torturing for the past century. Lots of fun there.

Killing Time
It was a DOOM clone made by the defunct Studio 3DO. The story was rather interesting and enjoyable, and it was told through Full Motion Video and real actors. The musical soundtrack was impressive and memorable, but the actual graphics and gameplay were really nothing special. It did have some really fun enemies though. Tickle tickle.

Outcast
Its virtually ignored and forgotten now. But it was a rather interesting and enjoyable FPS/ adventure game that was created in 1999. It had the rare distinction of using voxels rather then polygon models and it had an enjoyable story mixed with fun gameplay. Unfortunately it did rather poorly and few people have ever heard of it.

I could probably fill up an entire page full of great games. But I suppose that will have to do.