Top 10 Games - Any Platform

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
Reconite
Still Kicking

Re: Top 10 Games - Any Platform

Post by Reconite » Jun 3rd, 2010, 19:35

I'm not one to do a whole commotion and review on certain games so I'll just leave it with my opinions (also because I'm lazy ;)). And by the way, I only usually do one from each series. So maybe the rest of the series sits with the one I put first or the one I put last, but sometimes it depends on what's in the "rest of the series".

1. Fallout (1997, PC) cRPG

2. Metroid Fusion (2002, GBA) Action-Adventure

3. Final Doom (1996, PC) FPS
Spoiler: show
4. Deus Ex (2000, PC) FPS/RPG

5. Half-Life: Opposing Force (1999, PC) FPS

6. Blood (1997, PC) FPS

7. Duke Nukem 3D (1996, PC) FPS

8. Star Fox 64 (1997, N64) Rail Shooter

9. Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (1999, PC) RTS

10. Pokémon Fire Red (2004, GBA) jRPG

11. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993, GB) Action-Adventure

Now you have finished scrolling you can see the post below.
:trollface:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Reconite11

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Jun 7th, 2010, 04:07

1. BLOOD.

2. Grim Fandango - "From the creators of of FULL THROTTLE and DAY OF THE TENTACLE comes an epic tale of crime and corruption in the Land of The Dead. Featuring Manuel Calavera as your Travel Agent of Death in the most extraordinary 3D adventure ever made. Set your travel plans for this winter." This advertisement says it all.

3. Psychonauts - From the creator of game #2. Pure state of art, this game.

4. Condemned: Criminal Origins - My all time favourite Horror game. In my eyes, the most atmospheric, suspenseful and immersible horror game ever made.

5. Fallout 3 - You should already know what this is. You either love it or hate it. I love it.

6. The Starcraft Series.

7. Call of Cthulhu, Dark Corners of the Earth: Easily one of the best horror games ever made despite whatever anyone says. Perfectly captures the atmosphere of a written Lovecraft piece better than any game ever will or ever could.

8. The Suffering: My third favourite horror game. This is not intelligent psychological survival horror but real horror instead. If you are religiously into the first genre, you will be disappointed. No item hoarding, combining and running away from zombie dogs until you are blue in the face. It's about stalking and being stalked. Serious action and mindfuck all the way.

9. Undying - No comment. This is one of those things you actually need to experience for yourself. I hope you already have, otherwise you missed out. Unlike most other entries on my list, liking this game is not a matter of taste at all, but a matter of having or not having taste, period.

10. Quake 3 Arena - The game I feel answers what conveys the BLOOD action feel and pace in a game next to BLOOD itself as opposed to Painkiller which is everyone else's answer.

Honourable mentions (games with significant value to me but not particular enough to make it in the Top 10 or even 20): Civilization 1, the Diablo series, Warcraft 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom 1, Duke Nukem 3D, Rise of the Triad, Commander Keen series, Quake 1, Mortal Kombat series, Tekwar, Another World.

I really need to give System Shock, previous Fallout titles and Thief 2 a proper playthrough. There is a good chance that some of these games will instantly become a part of my immortal list.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Jun 7th, 2010, 07:55

CoC was a great game. I never got to the end due to a bug. I'm going to have to dig out the CD and see if there's a patch.
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jun 7th, 2010, 10:53

CoC, oh how much I wanted to love that game. It had so good atmosphere and so much potential to be one of the best horror/shooters of time but they wanted to ruin it with artificial and sadistic difficulty that didn't serve anyone. Add to that, the sodomistic save system. I think there's mod or something that allows you to save everywhere, and in that case I would be willing to try again.

What a waste of shoggoth. :(

EDIT: Great lists guys. Jarmo also stated some great games there.
I think Im going to make a 11-20 honorablez mentiones after I get from work... and I courage everyone to do so aswell yes? No? Yes?
LOL HI!

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Jun 9th, 2010, 19:01

Oooo - Honorable Mentions...I think I might have to go way past 11-20. Of course if I wanted to get really technical I could just break the games up into genre. Because honestly its just too hard to say "fav of all time lawl!!"

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Sep 8th, 2010, 17:50

There're too much games, I'm gonna try to do a list of ten, for games that hold a particular place in my heart, but I like lots and lots of games and I couldn't make a list. I won't give numbers because I can't really make a ladder for those games.

BLOOD : I truly discovered Blood (finished the game, bought original copies, see the cutscenes, discovered the story) in 2008 ( WTF !? :shock: ). I knew the game for a long time, but I just didn't have the time or opportunity to play it for a long time. I remember being ultra enthusiast the fisrt time I tried it about the ultimate gore effects and the cool weapons / enemies. In 2008, I had a period when I decided to go through all those old FPS I never got when I was younger : Duke, Redneck, Blood, etc. And then I fell in love with Blood' universe.

DIABLO II LORD OF DESTRUCTION : I am also a huge lover of the first Diablo. I like middle age a lot, I especially liked it when I as a bit younger, so playing as warriors, wearing armors and slashing demons and undead was just awesome. And I like taking levels and gaining experience with characters, that causes me some troubles with RPG games because I have a tendency to become addict to that shit. I think D2LOD is the game on which I spent the more hours in my life.

Quake III ARENA / QUAKE LIVE : I like the Quake series, but this one especially. I spent lots of hours on it and I still like it (I play Quake Live now). It the best FPS when it comes to multiplayer according to me. Highly customizable, fast paced, old-school like, etc.

RESIDENT EVIL 2 : My favourite game from the PSX console, and my favourite Resident Evil episode. That shit terrified me when I discovered it at a friend's place the first time, could even go to the police department because I couldn't control the character properly. Aftewards I bought it and finished it many a time. Awesome.

ODDWORLD ABE'S EXODUS : : My favourite from the Oddworld series. One of my favourite PSX game too, and probably the my favourite plateform game of all time (and Earthworm Jim is close second). Humor, sadism, excellent atmosphere and graphics...you win.

DUKE NUKEM 3D : Mandatory. The first FPS I played on PC when I was young at a friend's place on his Packard Bell. I enjoyed it so much, I was always eager to go at this guy's place because I knew I could play Duke and I had no PC at home at the time. When you are young and you experience the alien killing, the gibs, pissing in the toilets, killing an alien taking a shit...and BOOBS ! Too cool for school.

STARCRAFT : I don't have too many RTS in my favourite games, I like the Warcraft series a lot, I enjoyed the Age of Empire series too, but Starcraft is the best strategy game of all time according to me. I totally suck at it (in multi player), I never really played it a lot but I like it and if I had to pick a game to play some multiplayer matches that would be this one. The story is nice, the overall design is nice, the game is balanced and offers huge battles...

KILLER INSTINCT : My favourite brawling game ever, that I played a lot on Super Nintendo (I know enjoy the arcade version, with better graphics). Lots of hits, cool characters, fatalities, possibility to throw your opponents off buildings... I am a huge lover of Mortal Kombat and Bloody Roar too but KI is just above all gameplay wise and atmosphere-wise.

HEROES OF MIGHT AND MAGIC II : My favourite of the HOMM series. I consider the series is made of HOMM 1, 2, 3 and 4. The rest isn't the same in my opinion. Musics are just pure sweetness, the different creatures are awesome...um...this is excellent I don't see a single flaw in this game.

Ok a last...it's very hard, lots of games come in my mind, Dungeon Keeper, Roller coaster Tyccon, FEAR, Tenchu 1 and 2, Soldier of Fortune, gameboy version of Pokemon (the first ones, blue and red), Bust-a-move and so on and so forth. I think I have another mythic game for me that deserves the 10th place even if it's been ages since I played it :

WAR WIND : My first RTS game, 4 awesome races, so much memories from my childhood...it deserves to be in the list :D . If you never tried this one you should, for the sake of the chief of the Shama'Li race's belly.

"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Sep 8th, 2010, 18:56

Daedolon wrote: [*]God of Thunder (1993, PC) Adventure
Another prime example of combining youthful imagery, similar to Settlers 2 and Theme Park, with a very solid gameplay and storyline. God of Thunder is the very epitome of a Zelda like game done right. The storyline is very simple, where you play as Thor the God of Thunder, send to rid the land of evil by your father Odin. You talk to NPCs, find items and skills to progress on in a land portrayed with a classic top-down view. The game is riddled with block moving puzzles that can be very challenging for the unexperienced and it's just what I want from a game like this.
I have to comment this. Very fond memories of this games, especially my brother loved this game.
Im more fond of the Jetpack from the same guy, wich is one of the greatest one screen platformer fun! Add to that the awesome level editor that you can use to make levels for your friend to play while you laugh your ass off! :lol:
LOL HI!

Jerry
Still Kicking

Post by Jerry » Sep 11th, 2010, 10:14

My 10 top games aren't ordered by quality but in alphabetical order. It is because these games are from different genre and I see them as equivalent.

Blood
Duke and Doom were good but Blood is perfect!

Dead Space
One of the best horror games ever (IMHO)! Even the FEAR wasn't so scary as Dead Space. Prepare yourselves to face malformed things, Necromorps, which once were humans and to reveal a story of an abandoned space ship you are in. Ripping off heads and legs of your enemies is the only way to survive. There's only you and cold space.

Deus EX
This is a game with a huge variability and lots of different ways. Also the story is nearly perfect. But, unfortunately, Deus ex 2 wasn't as good as the first one.

Heroes of Might and Magic II
I spent many days in front of this game. It is unforgetable.

Mafia
This game originally comes from the Czech Republic and so do I. I dare to say that this game has the best ending I ever saw. The Tommy's story will catch you and won't let you go. But be aware of Mafia II, it is a one big letdown. :(

Mass Effect
I had to decide between Mass Effect and Dragon Age and Mass Effect certainly won. But Bioware prove itself that it can made good fantasy and also good sci-fi.

NetHack
Who could forget on the most famous D&R game? Every play is different and many hours of fun are guaranteed.

System Shock 1
If this isn't epic then anything isn't.

Urtica ][ : Angelo
You won't find this game on the net. It is a Czech homemade game. Despite the quality of graphics the story is unbelievably good with many emotive endings. I played this game 10 times in total so far!

Worms: Armageddon
Hallelujah will never have the same neaning after playing Worms. Prepare your umbrellas, sheeps are falling!
I want Jo-Jo! I want Jo-Jo! Jo-Jo! JO-JOOOO!

Requiem
Lightly Broiled

Post by Requiem » Oct 4th, 2010, 02:40

In no real order;

1) Half-Life
2) System Shock 2
3) Mafia
4) Max Payne
5) Blood
6) No One Lives Forever
7) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
8) Silent Hill 2
9) Clive Barker's Undying
10) Kingpin
[quote="Umnir"]The final boss of HL.. It's like running on sharp glass, acid raining on you while there's two pineapples in your ass sideways and bulldogs are trying to eat your balls.[/quote]

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Oct 26th, 2010, 07:59

Warwind, eh? *Scours Underground Gamer*

Lawstiker
New user

Post by Lawstiker » Oct 27th, 2010, 01:05

Wow, that War Wind game looks kinda interesting. To bad I missed it back in the day, looks like it could have been a fun RTS game.

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Oct 27th, 2010, 02:17

Lawstiker wrote:Wow, that War Wind game looks kinda interesting. To bad I missed it back in the day, looks like it could have been a fun RTS game.
Ah yes! But you still can play it! I'm going to find it and post a mega upload link if its any good, then you can play it too ^^

Lawstiker
New user

Post by Lawstiker » Oct 31st, 2010, 03:22

morhlis wrote:
Ah yes! But you still can play it! I'm going to find it and post a mega upload link if its any good, then you can play it too ^^
Ah, lets not. The game may classify as abandonware as far as I know, but Daedalus made it clear in Section D of the End User License Agreement that posting illegal content is not exactly something suppported here, so lets not be posting a link to that shall we :wink:

Unless you where speaking of a demo, then that would be fine.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Oct 31st, 2010, 11:04

Abandonware, the evil monster that eats the gaming industry.
LOL HI!

RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Post by RedFanatic » Nov 1st, 2010, 15:32

1=:=Startopia
2=:=Blood
3=:=Unreal Tournament 2004
4=:=Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl
5=:=Jagged Alliance
6=:=Devil May Cry 4
7=:=FEAR
8=:=Flatout Ultimate Carnage
9=:=Tron 2.0
10=:=Severance Blade of Darkness

Not entirely sure of the order but thats close enough.
[color=red]Infuscomus Cruo Lokemundux[/color]

http://bpf.deathmask.net/
[img]http://bpf.deathmask.net/banner.gif[/img]