On Assuming The Role of the Female In Video Games

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Re: On Assuming The Role of the Female In Video Games

Post by Blood of Nightmares » May 28th, 2011, 09:57

Status Cruo wrote:Choosing a female character over an equally/better suited male counterpart is a complete faggotry, a sort of virtual emasculation. Furthermore, female characters and non-white characters alike stand as nothing but a cheap marketing strategy to me.

Anyways. About everything worth including in a video game that a female can do, a male can do better, with the honorable exception of seducing a straight male, like that mission in Commandos :lol:
I'm seriously hoping your joking, if it is then it's no laughing matter.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » May 28th, 2011, 14:57

Some great games where one or all of the main protagonists are female:

Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil
Portal
Perfect Dark
Super Mario Bros 2 (long jump FTW!)
Street Fighter 2 et seq.
Aliens vs. Predator, technically
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Bruce777999
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bruce777999 » May 28th, 2011, 19:46

Blood of Nightmares wrote:
Status Cruo wrote:Choosing a female character over an equally/better suited male counterpart is a complete faggotry, a sort of virtual emasculation. Furthermore, female characters and non-white characters alike stand as nothing but a cheap marketing strategy to me.

Anyways. About everything worth including in a video game that a female can do, a male can do better, with the honorable exception of seducing a straight male, like that mission in Commandos :lol:
I'm seriously hoping your joking, if it is then it's no laughing matter.
Status Cruo means the hip factor - that also annoys me.
Female and colored folks are not added because of equality but because of momentary appeal to a certain "trend".
Facetious equality is a serious concern for women in the workplace - e.g. they are "equal" but get paid less. A long time friend of mine was trying to get help for a chick at her workplace via the internal bureau for gender affairs because she got sexually harrassed... guess what the "gender"slut said to her - "Mrs. X. might have dressed in an inappropriate way and such conduct could have led to sexually aggressive undertones by this male colleague."
This exact same "gender"bender though was climbing the walls upside down when my friend phrased her thesis not compatible to gender sensitive issues.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » May 29th, 2011, 00:37

Women don't get paid less because they are women. It's just the average statistics. Women don't tend to be qualified for better paid jobs and positions and therefore are paid less, on a global scale.

Some people just need to work harder and strive for better education. The non-caucasian minorities tend to not get enough or any education. Less severely, women tend to get less education as well as a result of their upbringing. That is why these groups of people either live in poverty and resort to criminal or are statistically underpaid. Not because other people are racist or chauvinist.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » May 29th, 2011, 12:17

Dimebog wrote:Women don't get paid less because they are women. It's just the average statistics. Women don't tend to be qualified for better paid jobs and positions and therefore are paid less, on a global scale.

Some people just need to work harder and strive for better education. The non-caucasian minorities tend to not get enough or any education. Less severely, women tend to get less education as well as a result of their upbringing. That is why these groups of people either live in poverty and resort to criminal or are statistically underpaid. Not because other people are racist or chauvinist.
I think this video reveals the truth...

Also the current system we live under (capitalism) is a society originally intended for wealthy white males while everyone else (minorities, etc) are just exploited for their own personal gain.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 29th, 2011, 17:51

I specifically said this thread was about a person's feelings concerning playing as females in video games, not other concerns. Start a thread elsewhere if you want to cover political concerns.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » May 31st, 2011, 05:55

Bottom line; who wants to play a character that starts bleeding 15 days before getting shot? :twisted:

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » May 31st, 2011, 12:11

Status Cruo wrote:Bottom line; who wants to play a character that starts bleeding 15 days before getting shot? :twisted:
I guess your truly are a sexist male (and white as hinted in your first post) supremacist misogynist as far I can tell.

Great...that's what this forum needs....more and dividing & conjuring.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 31st, 2011, 12:24

Status Cruo, meet BoN, our resident board Marxist.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 31st, 2011, 14:01

Status Cruo wrote:Furthermore, female characters and non-white characters alike stand as nothing but a cheap marketing strategy to me.
No, they are alternatives.
Status Cruo wrote:Anyways. About everything worth including in a video game that a female can do, a male can do better, with the honorable exception of seducing a straight male, like that mission in Commandos :lol:
You try to say that videogames make sense? One of memorable female character from MGS, sniper wolf was woman. This could be explained with fact that woman physique in general is more suited for sniping than mens. With your logic, the character could have been neon green pixel with purple tentacles coming out of it's ass.
LOL HI!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 31st, 2011, 14:46

Umnir wrote:This could be explained with fact that woman physique in general is more suited for sniping than mens.
How do you figure?

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 31st, 2011, 15:10

Their physique is better suited for it.. I cannot find citation at the moment for you (work work work :/)
LOL HI!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 31st, 2011, 15:38

I was asking for your impression, not whether you're Wikipedia or not. (;

I don't see any female benefits in the holding of rifles.

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » May 31st, 2011, 15:46

Umnir wrote:No, they are alternatives.
Actually this is what I'd call "affirmative action characters" and it's meant to turn everything in the media into a piece of crap Benetton ad. They would be alternatives if real statistics were employed for shaping up the abilities and weaknesses of said characters for those games where such a thing would actually make sense and be useful, but as they stand today, it's just an unnecessary, generic mesh of tits and ghetto accents.

Also, a citation is not good enough. It takes scientific papers for something like this to be accepted.

@Daedalus: real Marxists don't support multi-million, if not billion dollar corporations like those responsible for computers, internet access and Blood. They'd try living like the Amish, but in absence of productive people to loot from, they would be back in real life on the first stomach gurgle :lol:

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » May 31st, 2011, 17:39

Status Cruo wrote:Actually this is what I'd call "affirmative action characters" and it's meant to turn everything in the media into a piece of crap Benetton ad. They would be alternatives if real statistics were employed for shaping up the abilities and weaknesses of said characters for those games where such a thing would actually make sense and be useful, but as they stand today, it's just an unnecessary, generic mesh of tits and ghetto accents.

Also, a citation is not good enough. It takes scientific papers for something like this to be accepted.
Have you ever noticed that you consider white males as the "main race" while everyone else are minorities to you? This actually purely reflects the ones who currently controls the means of production that your even unaware of.
Status Cruo wrote:@Daedalus: real Marxists don't support multi-million, if not billion dollar corporations like those responsible for computers, internet access and Blood. They'd try living like the Amish, but in absence of productive people to loot from, they would be back in real life on the first stomach gurgle :lol:
At this point I don't think I should be taking you seriously if you don't even know what Marxism is really is or a poor understanding of it. It' basically a political science about the study of class society and how lower classes will eventually raise up against the higher classes and create a classless society we control the means of production. That means that instead of billion dollar corporations (the wealthy) controlling everything, we would be responsible for computers, internet access and better yet we would have the source code for Blood in our hands instead of Atari's/WB Game's.

I think I maybe once again wasting my time here.