On Assuming The Role of the Female In Video Games

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Re: On Assuming The Role of the Female In Video Games

Post by Daedalus » May 22nd, 2010, 21:35

A mighty post indeed, J. My thanks.
kurt wrote:As long as the game is enjoyable to play then it really doesn't matter to me whether the character is a female. But if they were to start talking about fashion and shopping then I think I would have draw the line on what I would tolerate.
Interesting. So you don't mind ambiguity about the role, but if the game veers towards overly female topics, then it becomes something of a bother. I take it you don't play any girls games. I'll pass on giving you Sim Shopping for Christmas.
Crumpet wrote:Being assigned a female role can either have an intimidating or insulting effect with woman players, especially if the portrayal of the female lead doesn't reflect that correctly of a female personality, only to suit a male player.
I'm curious. What do you mean when you say 'intimidating'? Thanks for your input — we unfortunately don't have very many at all to get the other half's view on this matter.

An interesting thread so far, folks and none of us seem quite the same on matters to this end. I just had another interesting thought, though. Would you say that the attractiveness of the female characters or leads has some bearing on your decision on whether or not to select them? In my case this is absolute, and I'd go so far as to say that there is a direct correlation between the perceived beauty of the model and/or character and my probability of selecting her. This is likely a perfectly natural drive, though and likely has some anchoring in genetics and/or sexual politics.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » May 23rd, 2010, 00:05

To clarify, i use the word 'intimidating' to reflect a character that is in an advancement beyond what is considered average in women. As i said with Lara Croft in the previous post, she has all the abilities of a superhuman, as well as a perfect build and personality, but also has a very sinister approach in certain circumstances. We know it's all true that women have their insecurities, so when undergoing the role of Lara, we can make comparisons and become almost feeble (attraction wise).

Intimidating is probably not the best word to use, as i initiate it here with greater depth on the emotional scale of appearance and personality, fear in a sense of how women naturally are, creating false perception. For your case 'elite' would suit better, as Lara reflects a woman that's incredibly high standard.

kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Post by kurt » May 23rd, 2010, 04:38

Yes, Sim Shopping might be better appreciated by someone other then me. :lol:
Daedalus wrote:Would you say that the attractiveness of the female characters or leads has some bearing on your decision on whether or not to select them?
I'd agree that the appearance of the character would have some bearing on my decision to select them or not. It also depends on the type of game that's being played. I didn't really care for the Hawaiian shirt on the guy in Vice City but unfortunately he was my only choice. But then the game would have seemed highly unusual if I could have actually played as an attractive woman character. Try to imagine a woman killing all those people and then picking up some prostitutes. I won't make any jokes about bad women drivers but what if she were to constantly stop and ask for directions! (I am kidding of course...)

I can also totally understand Ella's sentiments. Stereotypical unrealistic males often appear in media as well, and they could make some men feel intimidated or insecure in comparison. They're usually overly muscular, can be shot a hundred times, and then brush themselves off with a brief well placed one liner. They can also get any woman they want and usually always do in the end. But of course movie characters like game characters are simply a way to live out fantasies in being something that you may never be, whether its the über man or elite woman. You can also play as different aliens in some games, but I certainly wouldn't argue that it's unrealistic and that a real alien could never live up to those standards.

In the end it's all just fun and games until someone loses an eye...

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » May 23rd, 2010, 04:57

kurt wrote:I didn't really care for the Hawaiian shirt on the guy in Vice City but unfortunately he was my only choice.
Since my favourite genre of games are shooters (as mentioned on the last page), this is why I feel playing a female character often, if the possibility of choice is there. It doesn't seem very constructive for me for each game having a stock, bulky male with that Hawaiian shirt and a low cut hair where there's zero character development or even the complete lack of any kind of rudimentary depth. The depth of female character in games very often go much deeper than their male counterparts, even if the characters scratch the surface of a well written book or a movie. This is why it's very easy for me to like even a more shallow female character than any generic, male action hero.

I'm sure you're all familiar of this picture, I really wish this wouldn't happen any longer in modern video games:

I could ramble on this more but I would run out of words to describe such lack of any originality. Never argue with an idiot...

kurt
.PSD

Post by kurt » May 23rd, 2010, 08:18

I totally agree with the importance of a good story and character growth. I'll generally choose a well written, low budget movie that moves slowly, rather then a fast paced blockbuster filled with special effects. I'd also like to see more intelligent games with real depth created as well. But unfortunately a lot of people like to turn off their brains with mindless entertainment. If the story or characters becomes too complex or cerebral some people might get frustrated in their inability to comprehend it all. So it's usually kept as simple as possible for the masses, and it has to move quickly with lots of special effects.

The average person simply doesn't want to play the character of an intellectual pondering the meaning of life, a scientist discovering phenomenon, or an investigative reporter. They want to blow things up real good, and you have to be a big bulky ultimate male warrior in order to do that.

Yes, the human race is doomed to extinction. But I would still like a choice on whether to play a male or female character.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 23rd, 2010, 12:39

Well, I just want to throw some löyly and say I like the low cut hair, despite the fact that it might be generic. 8)

I have to defend Mr.47 and James Earl Cash however, since their look fits their character perfectly (and they were some of the first characters like that in modern (?) era of games).

I don't really mind what kind of physical stature my character has as long it fits the game. However, if I could choose from long haired guy and short haired guy, I would choose the short haired guy.
LOL HI!

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » May 23rd, 2010, 22:29

Daedolon wrote:I'm sure you're all familiar of this picture, I really wish this wouldn't happen any longer in modern video games:

On a related note on feminist material on gaming

http://www.feministgamers.com/

http://www.womengamers.com/

http://4thegirlgamers.blogspot.com/

http://girlinthemachine.blogspot.com/

kurt
.PSD

Post by kurt » May 23rd, 2010, 22:33

I think all playable game characters should resemble me. The world would then be a far better place. :lol:

But seriously, whatever happened to adventure games? They used to be equal in number to FPS. They offered well thought out stories, puzzles, and unique characters with some depth. But they were unappreciated by most, and people thumbed their noses at something that required them to use some thought. Even the occasional puzzle in a FPS today annoys some people.

But we seem to have wandered off topic...

:trollface:

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 23rd, 2010, 22:42

Blood of Nightmares wrote:

LOL HI!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 23rd, 2010, 22:47

BoN, I let your first post pass because that was your impression, but come on, man. I specifically said we weren't here to discuss any societal or political factors to do with greater female exposure in games. This thread's strictly to do with a person's personal feelings on selecting and assuming the roles of women in video games.

Your observation is astute, Kurt, and I agree, but it certainly isn't relevant to the topic at hand.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » May 23rd, 2010, 22:50

Sorry if I carried this a bit off topic but I thought topics like these are flexible since it can be traced back to political/societal discussions...oh well carry on.

kurt
.PSD

Post by kurt » May 24th, 2010, 02:48

My mind tends to wander lately, so I'll try to be more serious...

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » May 27th, 2011, 16:11

Choosing a female character over an equally/better suited male counterpart is a complete faggotry, a sort of virtual emasculation. Furthermore, female characters and non-white characters alike stand as nothing but a cheap marketing strategy to me.

Anyways. About everything worth including in a video game that a female can do, a male can do better, with the honorable exception of seducing a straight male, like that mission in Commandos :lol:

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 27th, 2011, 16:23

Impressive.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » May 27th, 2011, 23:58

Interesting.