DOSBox 0.74 has been released!

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

DOSBox 0.74 has been released!

Post by Daedolon » May 12th, 2010, 20:00

For those who complain about Blood's performance under DOSBox, I just kicked Blood in on 0.74 and saw a substantial performance boost in speeds. As well as other heavy games like Daggerfall.

http://www.dosbox.com/

ilikemyhandsbloody
Lightly Broiled

Re: DOSBox 0.74 has been released!

Post by ilikemyhandsbloody » May 12th, 2010, 21:38

Cool :thumbsup:
http://www.youtube.com/bloodmapedit

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 12th, 2010, 22:16

Notice a slight improvement. Might just be insanity, though.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » May 12th, 2010, 22:41

Daedalus wrote:Notice a slight improvement. Might just be insanity, though.
I thought the same myself.

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » May 12th, 2010, 22:43

If i try this and it doesn't work... Someone i loathe must die to make up for this misfortune.

Maligned
Still Kicking

Post by Maligned » May 12th, 2010, 23:38

It fixed multiplayer demo recording in Blood and allows you to host 16 player Bloodbath games!

....then I woke up

In any case, I have not tried the new DOSbox yet, though the tweaks sound promising. The IBM PCjr video emulation brought back memories.
Life begins and ends with Nu...

YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/Aichmorhabdophobia

ZedSlayer
New user

Post by ZedSlayer » May 12th, 2010, 23:51

Hmm, and just when the dosbox included in gog packs just caught up, now I got to make new shortcuts to use the new dosbox.

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » May 12th, 2010, 23:52

Performance wise there's a notable improvement. However, the mouse movement is still shit, but better than what i had experienced previously. Forced mouse acceleration and smoothing within the game itself, most probably.

ilikemyhandsbloody
Lightly Broiled

Post by ilikemyhandsbloody » May 13th, 2010, 09:15

I really don't get this stuff about the mouse, there's nothing wrong with mouse look.
It is as smooth as it was back in the real DOS days. :thumbsup:
http://www.youtube.com/bloodmapedit

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » May 13th, 2010, 17:25

ilikemyhandsbloody wrote:...there's nothing wrong with mouse look.
Pfft

Because you can't see the issue through my end of the screen, i'll elaborate the poor conditions i'm experiencing from the mouse look. Last year (near the very beginning if i can recall correctly) Dosbox was functioning with minimal technical or performance issues when running Blood on my machine. However, ever since i updated Dosbox (can't recall to what version), it had undergone new problems and unnatural behaviour in gameplay that i did not experience previously. The problems ranged between random crashes, lags, and extremely poor mouse movement, so poor in fact that it was deemed useless. The precision/acceleration of the mouse was very clumsy, the speed was met with a severely delayed response that accuracy was near impossible, so by this predicament alone the only real resolve was to either go back to a previous version of Dosbox, or use the arrow keys, i was so fed up that i chose neither and gave it a break.

It took some time to fix the mouse issue with the now previous version of Dosbox, but even so it wasn't satisfactory enough and not near as effective as it should be. With this new release (0.74), there is a notable improvement in the response time, but the forced and unmanageable acceleration is still present and causes inaccurate and unique targeting issues, and in a FPS game this is a no-go situation. The mouse smoothing is also very notable, and nor do i remember it being a main concern last year.

If there were ways i could set the acceleration and smoothing it'll be alright, but since this isn't the case (not to my knowledge at least), it's still painful to use the mouse with this version of Dosbox on my machine.

RazTK
New user

Post by RazTK » May 13th, 2010, 17:32

Ella
It has got to be something with your BLOOD/DOSBox config and/or something that's installed on your system that's causing these problems.

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » May 13th, 2010, 17:37

You would have thought, but this isn't the case. My current Dosbox configuration mirrors the old version used with the stable release, same settings and so forth (in such circumstances this should be acceptable), but to the fault of what feels like both machine and Dosbox, it did not work to the same effect.

I have no third-party application installed on my machine that could potentially falter Dosbox's performance, after all i did go through a clean install of Vista back in December time last year. My machine, as a whole, functions flawlessly, but with Dosbox this isn't the case.

RazTK
New user

Post by RazTK » May 13th, 2010, 17:53

Ella
The most reasonable thing to do in this case, would be to transfer your installations of DOSBox and BLOOD (along with the configs of course) to another machine with the same OS. That'd be the best way to debug this problem I suppose.

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » May 13th, 2010, 18:09

I'll have to use my fiance's machine in this case. This will have to wait though unfortunately, but whenever this happens i'll report in the usual place. Thanks RazTK.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 13th, 2010, 23:45

Getting this error consistently after extended play (10 minutes+)
debug.PNG
debug.PNG (13.27 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
This is something of a 'known issue' in my various Dos game experiences, but I've since removed Visual Studio and it persists. I also never experienced this with Blood before 0.74. I think this will likely be a challenging bug, and it may result in my having to format. For Blood.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand