Which games have you beaten?

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
Suture
Doin' Thangs

Re: Which games have you beaten?

Post by Suture » May 23rd, 2016, 20:26

The new doom game which I refuse to capitalize the title of because it is an insult to the DOOM series in every way.
Dimebog wrote:Start fearing my dick and stop spamming.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 24th, 2016, 08:00

Do tell more. What little I read of it some months ago seemed to indicate that they were looking to try return to the roots, which seemed quite unlikely at the time.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » May 24th, 2016, 18:37

I've recently watched new footage for this game, and I can honestly say it may not be as bad as older previews had me believe. At the very least map themes appeared somewhat varied while a handful of enemies are now looking more like they used to back in the day.

Still nothing worth ditching this P4 for, but let's just hear it from Suture for an educated perspective.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » May 24th, 2016, 22:09

It definitely appears like it went back to the roots but many people argue otherwise.

I can't really say if the game is any good without having tried it myself. Multiplayer is supposed to be very close to the original experience but apparently people say that is not true either. I'd love to know if that's the case or not.

There has to be some merit at least to the fact the game supports user-made content and I would like to know more on that matter too.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Suture
Doin' Thangs

Post by Suture » May 25th, 2016, 18:50

I'm too lazy to write down all that is wrong with it since I've already done that in a review I wrote for it on Steam here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/supersonik ... ded/379720

Note: The game was being advertised as a "throwback" and my review points out the many differences that they're trying to pass off as the way "DOOM has always been"; it most certainly is not. To be brutally honest, it's a watered down DOOM 3 which is pathetic.

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » May 26th, 2016, 00:34

If 10% of what you said is true, and I have no reason not to believe so, that game must indeed be absolute garbage. You also mentioned something about regenerating health, and I looked it up just to find out that it's actually a terrible fad affecting many other titles.

The 90's were the golden era of FPS' and I don't think that kind of glory will ever be replicated. Guess it's back to source ports again, and I'm happy with that.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » May 27th, 2016, 00:00

It doesn't actually have regenerating health.

Suture
Doin' Thangs

Post by Suture » May 27th, 2016, 22:15

It's a technicality. Glory kills give health back and since it's such a big part of the game, you could argue it is a form of regenerating health, especially considering if your health is really low, you get a ton of health back from a glory kill.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 31st, 2016, 09:23

It's a game series that has seen it's days and you expect that some modern company makes decent (yet another) rerun of it? The whole fucking gaming industry is so washed out right now, even most of the "indie" developers.
LOL HI!

steelsong
New user

Post by steelsong » Jun 4th, 2016, 00:37

I have to agree with you on that. The graphics are nice and all, but the original DOOM game never had killmoves or much storyline, as I have observed with this one. And plus, Bethesda worked on this game too, not just Id software. I have a feeling the game would've been a bit more shooter-like and there would not be so many Bethesda game references in a friggin' DOOM game if it was just Id software. Where are the Quake references, the Id game references? This game literally bleeds Bethesda. I think they got the idea for killmoves from Brutal DooM, a mod that you can download for free. But mind my complaining about Bethesda working with Id to re-make a classic game, I have seen gameplay, and it seems okay.
Not dead... yet.

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Jun 4th, 2016, 02:52

Suture wrote:
> I'm too lazy to write down all that is wrong with it since I've already
> done that in a review I wrote for it on Steam here:
> http://steamcommunity.com/id/supersonik ... ded/379720
>
> Note: The game was being advertised as a "throwback" and my
> review points out the many differences that they're trying to pass off as
> the way "DOOM has always been"; it most certainly is not. To be
> brutally honest, it's a watered down DOOM 3 which is pathetic.

Glad to see someone finally mention the tiresome arena sequences that make up most of the game's combat. That certainly didn't feel much like Doom, same as the changed ammo/health dynamics. To their credit, more emphasis was placed on speed and projectile dodging than a typical modern game features.

In agreement with most of your review, I would further say that this game is even further removed from classic Doom than Doom 3 was. Although, contrary to one of your criticisms, I felt that the demons weren't "alien-looking" enough. Traditional depictions of demons as goatmen don't tend to go well with modern graphics - the baron, for example, looks like some silly WoW transplant and very out of place. I preferred Doom 3's more eldritch designs. The boss battles seemed fine to me as far as FPS bosses go, they had slightly more depth than the usual ammo sponges or "hit weak spot for MASSIVE DAMAGE" types.
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Jun 5th, 2016, 07:12

Dimebog wrote:
> It doesn't actually have regenerating health.

From what I've read in the article, it'd seem to me it kind of does (in a practical sort of way), even though it isn't called by name.

In any event, there's Chocolate Doom and plenty of wads to go round. That takes care of it all.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Jun 5th, 2016, 13:35

Well, I can't really speak for the game itself as I haven't played it but having to kill a monster to collect health seems exactly the opposite from hiding from monsters to regenerate health out of combat. I guess it comes down to balancing the difficulty properly, but as a game design choice, it does seem pretty far from the regenerating health model.

Suture
Doin' Thangs

Post by Suture » Jun 5th, 2016, 22:08

You cannot die during a glory kill.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Jun 6th, 2016, 10:46

You can't die while collecting life essences in an emptied out room either.

But you can die while rushing to another enemy when you are low on health and have no other choice.

Perhaps the mechanic makes things too easy but don't call it something that it's not.