Which games have you beaten?

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Re: Which games have you beaten?

Post by Panoptic Blur » Apr 22nd, 2012, 21:42

I recently finished Borderlands, playing co-op.

The game is similar in structure to Fallout 3. It's an open sandbox style wasteland setting, where dangerous vagrants and mutant beasts roam the landscape, and collecting loot and completing sidequests and main quests are the order of the day.

Aesthetically, the game is significantly more lighthearted and goofy than Fallout - the terrain and characters are cel-shaded, the dialog is humorous in a rapid-fire throwaway fashion, and the violence is over-the-top. There are plenty of tongue-in-cheek references to pop culture and other wasteland video games (including several to Fallout itself) but it stops short of self-indulgence.

The quests also are simpler. Each quest usually has only one way of completing it, with no particular emphasis on ethical choices or allegiances. There is no weapon degradation or modding, and the loot is fairly straightforward: if you can use it, great - if not, you sell it for money. Loot is also fairly variable: the game has a loot generator that partially randomizes the stats for the weapons, shields, and other pickups. This can lead to somewhat off-balance experiences: in my most recent runthrough, I decided to focus on using only shotguns - but I could not find any really impressive shotguns until very close to the end of the game, where half a dozen great ones appeared in short order.

Combat is usually quick and furious, with the first attacks removing the shield strength and later attacks directly causing health damage. Shields will recharge; health generally doesn't. The game features four player classes, and each has specific combat powers that give bonuses to various metrics (damage, recharge rate, healing rates, etc.) and also create special effects (the soldier's power spawns an automated turret that provides cover and gunfire; the siren's power allows a phase warp that damages nearby enemies and heals her slightly, etc.).

Aside from class powers, the game also features skills in various firearm categories: SMG, Combat Rifle (a category which appears to include both Assault Rifles and Machineguns), Shotguns, Sniper Rifles, Pistols (including both semiautomatics and revolvers), and Rocket Launchers. A final exotic category allows use of alien artifacts, but these are rare and more of a novelty item. Your effective skill in a weapon increases the more you damage enemies with it, rewarding players who focus on a narrow range of weapons with much higher effective skill than those who switch weapons frequently.

One issue is the levels of the enemies. The game is fixed-level, not scaling-level, so any given region will be consistently populated with enemies of a predictable fixed level. This essentially means the game has an unspoken "correct order" to completing it. Fortunately, the game makes this very obvious - all enemies will clearly show their level right next to their health bar, and quests will be labeled in terms of difficulty relative to your level. To hammer home the level issue, your weapons will do heavily reduced damage when used against enemies of a higher level than you. Conversely, they'll do massively increased damage against enemies that are lower level. This effect may be geometric depending on level disparity - past a certain point, the XP rewards are also significantly altered (with possible weakling enemies giving you no XP at all when you kill them).

The game has a pretty simple plot, and if you pay too much attention to it, you might find it disappointing. The plus points are: characters are colorful and well-voiced, and the combat and quests are pretty snappy and easy to complete in good time when playing co-op.

This game doesn't break any new ground, but it's a decently rewarding experience in co-op. I haven't tried singleplayer, but there are a few challenges and boss battles in co-op that look like they would be very annoying to do with just one player.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

jka12002
New user

Post by jka12002 » Jul 3rd, 2012, 20:24

For the first time ever i finally beaten the Shining Force games on the Soinc Genesis Collection for PS3. I couldn't beat them when i was little but this time i took the time to get through the game, although i died more than 20 times through out those games to get to the end.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Jul 26th, 2012, 03:39

I beat Majora's Mask again - this time with all the masks and finishing every side quest in the Bomber book.

The game had several "race track" challenges in it, most of which also had NPCs running around the same race track as an element of randomness to it. I did not enjoy these at all and they were the weakest part of the game for me. The random element was dialled up so high, you could have a near-perfect run one time and still fail, and then screw up repeatedly another time and then still win. What does that encourage? How does that reflect skill level?

The main quests, with its focus on dungeons, was less interesting to me than the side quests, which tend to focus on people's routines and motivations.

The Anju/Kafei side quest is still one of the most touching things I've seen in video games. Most of this is to do with its understated nature - the characters don't really wear their emotions on their sleeves, but if you pay attention to context, you can easily imagine the immense emotional turbulence they're feeling.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Aug 22nd, 2012, 02:20

I have finished STALKER - Call of Pripyat.

The game's execution is somewhat more solid than STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl, but the plot is less interesting. SoC's plot was guns-blazing apocalyptic. CoP's plot was more understated - rescue the soldiers and find out what went wrong.

CoP does have a superior selection of weaponry and equipment, though. I may go back and play SoC with mods enabled to "port" the superior guns and gear back to SoC. Most importantly, there are now craftsmen at the settlements who can repair your gear for you, so you don't have to immediately throw away that expensive exoskel suit after you've taken a hit with a grenade or rocket.

Most of the quests are well-done, with tighter scripting than in SoC and fewer bugs. One or two quests are almost entirely reliant on "stumble-across-this-area" triggers, but they're few and far between, and seem to be mostly included for completionists. The endgame features a couple of non-obvious quest choices which can amp up the difficulty of the area or tone it down - I missed the conversation cues that indicated which was which and had to reload and resort to a walkthrough to explain it. (Again, this is largely for completionists, so I'm not terribly put out by it.)

The trifecta of battling factions present in the original game are still here (Duty as former Warsaw Pact, Freedom as NATO, and Monolith as more exotic tech), but they're much more toned down in their difficulty levels. The Monolith faction, which took a plotline pummelling in the original, is especially subdued, with a few eloquent indications of how far they've fallen since the events in Chernobyl NPP.

There is a mad dash to the extraction, and a few memorable set pieces in the game, but nothing that will really take your breath away the same way that the climax of SoC did. Still a technically solid game, with a dedication to post-calamity survivalist verisimilitude that appeals to the more stringent demographic of Fallout fans.

I might try to get the third related game, STALKER - Clear Skies, up and running.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Aug 22nd, 2012, 03:51

Sniper Elite V2. Way too short and way too easy. Where's the stealth?

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Oct 5th, 2012, 06:21

Finished STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl again, this time using the Complete 2009 mod, which makes the game a lot of fun even on modern rigs.

Next on the list is STALKER Clear Skies.

Sir Seizhak
Pink on the Inside

Post by Sir Seizhak » Oct 17th, 2012, 18:36

-Unreal Gold.
-Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge.
Cabal's Return Add-On. Wait for it.

BloodHispano. The best Spanish Blood website!

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Aug 24th, 2013, 12:44

The last was Duke Nukem 64

It was pretty phenomenal! Along with some of the original stages having modified or new areas in some places, it comes with new weapons to make up for the lack of recreating old ones such as the Double Uzis, Grenade Launcher and Explosive Shotgun. It really changes the gameplay in certain areas making for a fresh experience, I tend to use the GL more often because although the RPG is still there it's more rare and missiles are harder to come across. The only anomalous weapon would be the Plasma Gun, it's fairly weak unless you charge it up but even then it's only useful against one opponent so it's not really worth it.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Aug 29th, 2013, 21:53

Just finished Contra Rebirth with the girlfriend. The game is very hard and without a coop buddy, much harder still. The famous Konami code does not work, either...

L3GEND
Still Kicking

Post by L3GEND » Aug 30th, 2013, 17:17

My last game was the epic MAX PAYNE 2, a story full of violence, hate and love :-)
I LOVE IT,one of the best games ever made...

In Max Payne 2, the player controls Max Payne, a former DEA agent for the New York City Police Department (NYPD) and a fugitive framed for murder of his best friend and fellow cop Alex, by the corrupted agent, B.B., in New York City during the events of Max Payne. Two years after the events of the first game, Max has cleared his name and is now an NYPD detective. He reunites with Mona Sax, whom he met in the previous game, as they set out to resolve a conspiracy of death and betrayal, finding the Inner Circle in the center of it all.

And Kingpin: Life of Crime

Kingpin is a game about revenge. Picking up a piece of lead piping as a makeshift weapon, the player plots against Nikki and the Kingpin himself. The player's rise to prominence, and his lust for revenge will take him through various areas of the city: from chemical plants through to steel mills and train yards, and eventually onto Radio City, home of the Kingpin's headquarters.

https://bloodline.eu -regularly posted news, regularly new things
https://archive.bloodline.eu - the biggest blood bank ever made, over 2700 bloody files, from week to week more.
support our work and register !

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Oct 22nd, 2013, 19:49

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:41

#JarmoVictories
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Oct 23rd, 2013, 15:19

Christ that was fast well done! :o

Metroid Prime took long for me, maybe because I was 12 at the time xD

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Apr 24th, 2016, 19:35

"Megalit" for the GameBoy (I'll hit anything bitplanar). Finished this vile thing a couple weeks ago but forgot to make mention of it.

I'd say it's pretty much a twist on the Chinese pick-up sticks game...with the thrill wrung out of it. The graphics are horrible, with controls to match. Music and sound, I don't even want to go there. The challenge, however, was balanced enough to sustain my curiosity, yet the end itself (easy mode), even the last stage, was as unsatisfying as not getting enough butter with your mash.

I rate this worthless attempt at a video game a generous 2 out of 10 kicks in the jewels.
Attachments
Megalit.png
Megalit.png (1.19 KiB) Viewed 1225 times

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » May 17th, 2016, 00:42

Hands down my favorite Monopoly version for any platform ever. Everything's very dynamic and unobtrusive to the player, yet without sacrificing the good looks, which quite frankly are phenomenal for a 16 color game (same thing with audio). Highly customizable, fairly challenging to the occasional user when playing against the computer (only highest difficulty level), packed shut with very neat details and a 100% true to the original; no complaints at all on my part. This is Monopoly Deluxe v1.50 (DOS) from Virgin Games (patched up from v1.0, not retail v1.50 which's missing features). Beat it a thousand times already, but it doesn't seem to be getting any old 8)
Attachments
MPSCRN00.png
MPSCRN00.png (17.65 KiB) Viewed 1207 times