The most chilling/disturbing/scariest game or moment?

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
Requiem
Lightly Broiled

Post by Requiem » Oct 25th, 2009, 21:56

System Shock 2 is probably the only game that has genuinely scared me, but I've felt unsettled when playing Aliens Vs Predator (first PC game), Silent Hill 3 and Blood back in the day. I mention goes to F.E.A.R. not for being scary but making me jump almost everytime Alma appeared out of nowhere :lol:
[quote="Umnir"]The final boss of HL.. It's like running on sharp glass, acid raining on you while there's two pineapples in your ass sideways and bulldogs are trying to eat your balls.[/quote]

wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Re: The most chilling/disturbing/scariest game or moment?

Post by wangho » Nov 28th, 2009, 18:26

The F.E.A.R thing doesn't scare me. It's too familiar and known to scare. If you can find the old EA game Space Hulk that was made for the 3DO system, that game gave me the willies as well as the original Alone In The Dark. The original Metroid for NES is also really spooky. C'mon... Exploring the core of some way off distant planet with alien dragons and things? The music helped

T93
New user

Post by T93 » Dec 31st, 2009, 02:15

If there's something that scared the hell outta me when i was young (like 3-4, when i started playing VideoGames)
was the damaged Sentinel Robot in MDK that you have to use to pass through the aliens Unseen... It was also scary because the sound that he makes isn't the usual, but he's like... humming, and he stays in a place on a small puddle of green Blood alone... The music helped with the atmosphere also :evil:

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Dec 31st, 2009, 12:33

MDK, this game seemed so weird to me. I played at a friend's place when I was...I don't know...10-13 year-old.

Very good memory, I remember the plastic doll and all....mouarf.
Last edited by Le Babe on Dec 31st, 2009, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Dec 31st, 2009, 14:23

Don't you mean MDK?
Always wanted to play it.. I reckon it's too hard to get working today.
LOL HI!

T93
New user

Post by T93 » Jan 4th, 2010, 14:55

Umnir wrote:Don't you mean MDK?
Not really. i have Vista and it runs perfectly on my machine without DosBox.
The only thing that bothers you is that you can't record gameplays of it

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jan 4th, 2010, 16:08

T93 wrote:
Umnir wrote:Don't you mean MDK?
Not really. i have Vista and it runs perfectly on my machine without DosBox.
The only thing that bothers you is that you can't record gameplays of it
Cool. I have to consider playing it then.
LOL HI!

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » May 22nd, 2010, 03:28

Recently the scariest moment I've experienced in a game is the...well...whatever it is in the Haunted House level of Bloody Pulp Fiction. It was BAD ENOUGH that it peeked at me and then ran away up the stairs! It was even worse when I saw it pushing the damn baby carriage! But then, when I got the key and the puppet lunged at me from the corner...I'm not afraid to say I threw my mouse :shock:
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

Drakan
Well Done

Post by Drakan » May 27th, 2010, 06:57

Gotta be the stroggification scenes in Quake 2 and 4. Fucking freaky shit.
Life is a privilege...Death is a promise...

Lukas
New user

Post by Lukas » Jun 24th, 2010, 00:18

Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth, one of the scariest games I've ever played (if not the scariest).

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Sep 6th, 2010, 21:51

Thief - The Dark Project: On one level where you're in a Cathedral, I was hiding from... something horrid... in a room. It was outside, and I accidentally made a noise. It opened the door and came a few steps into the room, but luckily I was in the corner shielded from view by the door. It jingled and jangled and its ghostly echoes filled the room briefly, and then it turned away and returned to its patrol outside. I was almost crying with relief.

Clive Barker's Undying: Very creepy atmospheric game. The first miniboss battle is also the best, with an excellent buildup, crawling through catacombs and challenging the dark mistress in her mausoleum. It also has some beautiful set pieces too - the dream realm of Oneiros, with all its interloping alien creatures, is gloriously done.

System Shock 2: The cargo bay levels on Engineering are tough, real tough. When your last pistol has jammed and your last shotgun shell shucks out of the chamber, the only way to survive your enemies is by hiding.

Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth: An amazingly ambitious game, with a few flaws holding it back from true greatness. There is no aiming mark - you have to ironsight your guns and hope you're shooting straight. There is no health bar - you have to examine your bodily wounds and apply health supplies to address your injuries. And merely looking at disturbing or gory scenes in the game will cause your vision to swim, your pace to slow, and - if you're really unlucky - your character to bring the pistol up to his own mouth to end it all...

Far Cry 2: Another game with amazing ambition, but flawed execution. Immersive from the word go - everything is told from the first person POV with minimal interface. Your guns will rust and jam - all you can do is keep an eye on their appearance and ditch them when they look too shady. Your blood seethes with malaria - you'll need to pop pills each time, or find some if you're out. If you take a critical injury, you'll pluck bracken out of your torso, twist your wrist back into alignment, sear shut bleeding wounds, and finger flattened bullets out of your own flesh. Most disturbing of all are the missions you'll undertake for survival in a warzone - destroying water supplies, burning medicine crates, killing innocents to make an example of them. When all you can think about is survival, all question of right and wrong go straight out the window. For me, the most disturbing moment came about entirely by accident. I had been ambushed by a group of mercenaries, and I'd killed two and injured another one. He was lying in the longgrass, unable to move because his knees had been blown away. Nearby, a jeep caught fire and exploded, setting the longgrass on fire. I stood watching as he quickly became surrounded by flames, and then burned to death as they consumed him.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Sep 6th, 2010, 22:36

In earnest I can't recall a specific game which had throttled me with a ghastly fear, regardless of whether the experience was temporary or extended for a lengthy period of time. In my younger years, subjecting myself to surreal visuals did not impede a sense of fear, rather my exposure to games manifested itself within dreams of a realistic nature. In that I genuinely felt fear when the sandman imprisoned me in the dream world, as I recall scenarios and themes of a malevolent and sadistic nature, where I felt as if I were in danger being stalked by some abhorrent abomination. This was particularly evident when I experienced numerous occasions of sleep paralysis.

I can say however with utmost certainty of the atmosphere that would chill me, playing a game in the heart of night, with the curtains open, wearing headphones to enhance the level of immersion and strictly having no music which would therefore make encountering a Phantasm within a dark place actually frightening for me. The essence of the problem in my case, is the common inclusion of music which acts as an effective counteract by preventing any stimulation of trepeditation. As a result I find it drowns out my awareness of the surrounding environment.

I can't really put my finger on a particular game scene or moment which did evoke fear, rather the dreams which spawned as a result I'd say.

RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Post by RedFanatic » Sep 15th, 2010, 17:37

Man i only just recently started plying Call of Cthulhu and it's already right at the top of my scariest game ever list.

The thing got into my mind, the first day i played it i only got to just before you stay the night in the hotel and that night, when i went to bed my dreams were filled with strange images and pages of notebooks covered in symbols and odd text, everytime the pages appeared they would stay for a while and then begin to ooze blood as if from within them.

I actually had a really bad nights sleep so bad was the effect of only an hours play of this game. The next night i'd slightly gotten over the fear of the unknown from the game since now the citizens were gunning for me but still as a storm blew outside i found myself awake and listening to every sound within the house, and when my eye's closed the images of what had been described in the hotel managers diary flashed before me.

The next night i didn't play.....but perhaps tonight.

The thing is though i've played a few good horror games, in fact i was only just recently going through DeadSpace but none have so quickly and effectively got inside my mind as Call of Cthuluh.

After my first sleepless night of fear i realized the only way to rid my self of the lurking dread was to continue and uncover the mystery before much as with Jack my grip on sanity is loosened...or lost alltogether.
[color=red]Infuscomus Cruo Lokemundux[/color]

http://bpf.deathmask.net/
[img]http://bpf.deathmask.net/banner.gif[/img]

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Sep 18th, 2010, 06:38

That game is great, yeah. I particularly liked the disclaimer at the start about strange visions in the game. Something about those being part of the game design, and therefore unlikely to be an artifact of your screen or your sanity. :)
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Jan 31st, 2012, 00:25

I'm playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent right now. It's a horror exploration game, done in first person. The game features no weapons or any attacks of any sort. You can throw objects, but that's mostly to interact with the level design rather than to defend yourself. Stealth is mandatory, and when that fails, you must use speed to escape.

A good game. I'm about an hour and a half into it and I've escaped from one enemy that chases you through water. This is the first enemy that I found raised my stress level beyond my usual FPS gaming levels.