The most chilling/disturbing/scariest game or moment?

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

The most chilling/disturbing/scariest game or moment?

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Jun 18th, 2009, 05:47

What do you consider the most disturbing/scariest game you ever you played or simply a moment?

I remember when I was young playing Final Doom on the PSX where there is this one level called "geryon" where the ambient soundtrack used to disturb the hell out of me which made me turn the music volume down due to the high pitched screaming. I think this is the music I'm talking about here:

http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/music.html#psx

Another game I have to mention was some of the levels in Redneck Rampage where there was this Mortuary level which often I heard a woman screaming in the background inside the Funeral home which actually still scares the crap out of me till this day (I actually had to noclip past that part just to get away from it or simply turned the sound down). There was also the Asylum/Nuthouse stage where you start off in a padded cell with creepy music playing in the background which gave me chills.

The Robed alien from the Marathon trilogy just chills/scares the crap out of me especially in claustrophobic spaces ala the first level from Marathon 1 is a perfect example.

In Abuse (a side scroller game which was made by Crack dot Com) there was this one level (or simply an enemy?) where one in the rooms you hear this "WOOoWOOo" sound which actually scared shit out of me when I was young but not so much anymore eversince I downloaded the game recently because it's currently freeware now.

The Choking hands from Blood and also the smaller enemies from Blood 2 used to scare me simply because I didn't know how to get them off from my face at the time I was younger (well except for the earlier versions of Blood where it's almost nigh impossible to get the choking hands off from you). Also the Choking Hands screaming "I'll swallow your soul" just makes me jump.

Diablo 1 also used to creep me when I was young due to the dark atmosphere in the Dungeons with the haunting soundtrack in the background especially the parts with the Butcher and King Leoric which used to scare the crap out me.

The Playroom level from Shadowman disturbs me till this day mainly because of the creepy child like music looping in the in the level which I remember lowering down the music volume when I was younger which is how disturbing it was and not to mention the level itself (especially the cell rooms containing alot of disturbing shit and one of them is a nursery room since nursery rooms are just...creepy) . Another level from Shadowman that scared the crap out of me was Avery Marx's hotel/apartment complex due it's dark claustrophobic atmosphere and Marx popping out of nowhere while screaming "come to mommy" before the 'combat' music actually starts.
Last edited by Blood of Nightmares on Jun 18th, 2009, 13:27, edited 5 times in total.

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Jun 18th, 2009, 12:40

I think the game that really frightened me was Resident Evil 2. This the first horror game I discovered on PSX and I was quite young. I didn't understand how we were supposed to walk and such (I had no PSX, only a gameboy with mario, which is not scary haha) so I died constantly. THis was scary yes.

After that, no game really scaried me. But some have special atmosphere that were disturbing for me though sometimes :

The spiders from Blood 2. I love spiders but I don't know, the sound they make and the fact that they always catch you by the rear in the dark. Ah, I hate those cunts !

Some levels from Redneck Rampage too, you're right Bone Of Nightmare. This game is supposed to be fun but it stressed me many times.

Nightmare Creatures 2, definitely. One of the first game I had on PSX (along with RE2 which I bought too when at last I was offered a PSX). Nightamre Creatures 2...really disturbing for me when I was 12-13.

F.E.A.R definitely stressed me somtimes too. F.E.A.R 2 not that much.

Condemned is the most disturbing recent game in my opinion.

And I think that's it. There're games I did not try such as Stalker, Dead Space, etc so I can't really tell.
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

Shadowman
The Posty Baby

Post by Shadowman » Jun 19th, 2009, 00:09

The answer for all of you is BLOOD.
Achievement Unlocked: <3*
(Since returned to Daedalus.)
Achievement Unlocked: Kickass Chaos Avatar by Ella.

Achievement Unlocked: Best Insult Ever

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jun 19th, 2009, 14:42

Those fleshcrafted creatures in VtM:Bloodlines. Gave me chills throughout body... And that scream! :shock:

mouth
Lightly Broiled

Post by mouth » Jun 20th, 2009, 00:07

Phantasmagoria scared the shit out of me back then.
Long live the new flesh!

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » Jun 21st, 2009, 08:45

A game has never really scared me in recent years. Although I'll say Blood and Diablo got me going when I was younger.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jun 21st, 2009, 13:38

Creature Shock, System Shock, Thief 3 (Shalebridge Cradle) and Fatal Frame Series. Since then, nothing.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jun 21st, 2009, 14:25

The worst thing with shalebridge cradle is that you can't really do anything but hide. What a chilling experience!

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Jun 28th, 2009, 20:43

There weren't that many games scared me recently, but I recall a few that did when I was younger.

Blood - Despite not being focused on terrifying the player, it scared me more back then than other games. My first playthroughs of Blood when I was younger made me slightly scared, and the MIDIs + CD tracks were creepy. Opening a closet to have a phantasm fly out can make someone jump, as well as diving into gill beast infested waters.

BON, PSX Doom also disturbed me. The soundtrack was creepy.

There were more games that I played that can sometimes cause fear, Doom 3, FEAR, Silent Hill series, etc.

RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Post by RedFanatic » Jun 29th, 2009, 06:11

Still the scariest time in a (or about a) game for me was my first impressions of Doom when young, I couldn't even be in the same room! as someone playing it :(

But for a more recent fright i'd have to say Stalker (with Oblivion Lost mod)
being cornered in a hay silo, in a storm by at least two very powerful psychic enemies while a Blowout hit which then spawned a horde of other nasties which proceeded to charge the silo, climbing the stairs with amazing speed and forcing me to step in line with the windows which got me attacked by the psychic baddies.

Urggh still gives me shivers
[color=red]Infuscomus Cruo Lokemundux[/color]

http://bpf.deathmask.net/
[img]http://bpf.deathmask.net/banner.gif[/img]

Loke
New user

Post by Loke » Jun 30th, 2009, 01:43

Nightmare Creatures used to scare me to hell and back when it was fairly new, especially the wolf creatures.

Resident Evil 2 haunted me back in the days. I never played it myself but when my brother did... oh boy did I run away when things started to get ugly. Still remember that scene when you're walking down a hallway and zombies suddenly grab you and try to strangle you. And of course the "licker" scene when you see him zip right past the window you're staring at.

Sadly, getting older and all, games don't scare me anymore unless it's some cheap IN-YOUR-FACE-BITCH (a la Doom 3) attempt, although those are always more annoying than scary.
Though, I got to say, games can still make me feel a bit uncomfortable and disturbed like Half-Life 2 at "Ravenholm" but not in the way that it'll make me completely stop playing it.

cultist-01
Pink on the Inside

Post by cultist-01 » Jun 30th, 2009, 08:44

Doom was the only game that ever scared me, I think, yeah. Only because of the revenants, damb that shriek they let out when they saw you scared the crap outa me. Oh and the arch-viles, in fact the Final Doom level "haunted" scared me the most.

Also in Resident Evil 4 the iron maidens scared me shit less because I knew if I ran out of sniper ammo I was fucked.

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Jun 30th, 2009, 17:30

I remember the Revenenants on the PSX version of Doom weren't as tough as the PC ones, their missle was slower too. It was a shocking surprise when I played the PC version for the first time in years and met one.

Playing through Ravenholm with nothing but the gravity gun was fun.

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Oct 13th, 2009, 00:14

mouth wrote:Phantasmagoria scared the shit out of me back then.
Here's a video that will make you relive that experience...

Shadowman
The Posty Baby

Post by Shadowman » Oct 13th, 2009, 00:20

I bought Phantasmagoria at a yard sale.
Still haven't touched it.
Achievement Unlocked: <3*
(Since returned to Daedalus.)
Achievement Unlocked: Kickass Chaos Avatar by Ella.

Achievement Unlocked: Best Insult Ever