What games are you playing? Chapter II

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
Krypto
Well Done

Re: What games are you playing? Chapter II

Post by Krypto » Dec 19th, 2013, 13:17

I'm going to replay Quake II for the N64 as I missed the contrast in level design it has compared to the PC version.
Last edited by Krypto on Dec 20th, 2013, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Dec 20th, 2013, 07:47

Good news! I finally managed to get Quake 64 working after all these years, it was hopeless in the past because their was no viable plugin to render the damn thing correctly as it would flicker extradonarily and cause all sorts of graphical glitch ups and pseudo nonsense. Now after messing around with something by the name of 'Glide 64' we have a winner! Granted I never owned a N64 since we bought a PC instead so please have mercy on my soul :P I don't like the console to begin with, not many extradonary and exceptional titles in contrast to the SNES.

Now I must have clearly been obsessed with this rapscallion, as I managed to tear through 18 maps yesterday, I apparently say tear since sweet jesus christ almighty it is x10 more difficult when using a controller, also if you combine that with the oddity that it seems monsters are much more aggressive in contrast to their PC counter part. It may well be a trick of the eye due to the hardware limitations and the fact one can't react any where near as quick enough but even Grunts can pummel you quickly.

The inclusion of dynamic lighting is remarkable in entirely changing the atmosphere of the levels entirely, Castles and Dungeons instead of having the dreaded brown overcast of the original, team to life with vibrancy and ooze a Diabloe-esque feel. The colour is especially employed in a variety of levels throughout a stage and seems to complement the texture usage in question, so marble hallways tend to emit a blue hue, while torches add a tasty orange and red flavour to the mix. If we combine this with the new more evocative, over cast sky and dark ambient soundtrack, it creates a more surreal and haunting atmosphere in contrast to the original.

What's especially interesting is the enemy placement isn't exactly the same as the original either, their seem to be one or two additional in key areas or a change entirely, MAP 3 - The Necropolis was fucking ludicrous to beat in this regard, 2 Fiends at the start, 2 Shamblers in the next area, and considering just how more difficult it is to strafe and dodge, I'm not surprised I wound up dead around 6 times. Also it takes the piss out of balance and difficulty scale by the exit with 4 Fiends and a Shambler but they removed the damn wall pillars which provide you cover in the first place!

The controller scheme is suitable considering you can choose from different preset configs, Style A is fucking dreadful, why is Jump set to the controller sticks and L + R use freelook? Bleh.

It's much more challenging and hectic over all, considering the assortment of in your face traps with 3/4 beasties clawing at you at one time, weapon usage and reaction speeds really come into play here.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Dec 20th, 2013, 14:04

To anyone who has played Necrovision, what are your thoughts?

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Dec 20th, 2013, 16:51

Krypto wrote:To anyone who has played Necrovision, what are your thoughts?
Eyo! That shit is like... Oh wait... necro with C... Nevermind then.
LOL HI!

Hellen
Well Done

Post by Hellen » Dec 23rd, 2013, 16:48

Krypto wrote:To anyone who has played Necrovision, what are your thoughts?
It's a good attempt to make something new using old resources. However, the size and inexperience of the team proved that such project was a bit too ambitious for them(just like their recent Deadfall Adventures). The game definitely has some nice moments and atmosphere, but its length and repetitiveness kill its fun factor completely. If you haven't played it yet, I would recommend Lost Company instead. I enjoyed this expansion a lot more than original. LC is like concentrated NV. Where NV drags along for hours and hours of boring gameplay, LC is a bit more action packed and offers some variability(I never knew you could make a plane simulator on PainEngine).

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Dec 23rd, 2013, 17:02

I think you found the code word to make Hellen appear, Krypto.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Dec 29th, 2013, 14:11

Such a shame she refuses to participate more in these hallowed quarters, more artwork could perhaps spruce up this otherwise bland void! But I thank you for your remarks regarding the obscure Necrovision, I did enjoy Painkiller thoroughly but it's only due to that Tarot Card System and the fact you can't play every level unless you venture onto a higher difficult which gave the game it's replay value. It's not as horrendous as Serious Sam though, dreadfully monotonous slew. I wonder what became of Lizzy now..

Quake II for N64 is proving to be a most exemplary odyssey, it is definately much easier on this 2nd excursion having familiarzed myself with the controls more acutely, you have to god damn aim precisely or else a Gunner will lodge you with 5 grenades consecutively. Fortunately the deteriorated frame rate owing to the hardware limitations sooths the dilema in this regard, but the constant inclusion of traps seemingly everywhere makes it highly exciting to make up for the linear level design, that and it doesn't feel like Quake II at all being entirely devoid of it's HUB element, however it still manages to be a very enjoyable adventure nonetheless.

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » Dec 30th, 2013, 10:10

Oh, hello Hellen :D

I've been playing a game called "Guns of Icarus" which has been loads of fun except for the regularity of morons on my team who don't have any common sense at all.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Jan 18th, 2014, 01:31

I pulverized Quake II 64 for the 2nd time the other day, I'm beginning to see the detriments in it's otherwise marvelous attempt to translate the PC experience to a console considering the HUB element is entirely absent so they had to fare with linear level design for the most part. It begins with clear multiple divergent paths as their isn't one way to approach a level, and the continual inclusion of traps from area to area helps to liven up an otherwise potentially dull experience, unfortunately around the 2nd half this would be adopted style of mapping deteriorates and instead the game attempts to coincide with throwing the more difficult beastiary in close encounters in a more cramped setting with little cover.

It becomes steadily more linear with decreasing monster counts, I suppose a deattribute is the fact a few levels are in fact mere conversions of the expansion packs, but you can't help but feel their was a rushed effort towards the end, instead of culminating into a frantic finale instead the levels become increasingly simple and they lose any attempt to portray a climax given they focus on in-door installations with teleporter hopping towards the end to somehow justify why the settings become increasingly duller. The environmental setting simply isn't there, sure you can clearly see the potrayal of intertwining tunnels and electrical space shuttle systems but often it's just for show and the level is too short to otherwise immerse yourself and leaves a feeling of being ripped off or cheated in this respect, especially since the last level if it can be called that in the slightest is simply 4 Boss enemies, and even then your overloaded with supplies for whatever strange reason. Still it was a very unique contrast to the PC given the dark ambient soundtrack and slower pace of gameplay.

Now I never knew until recently their was a Shining Force for the obscure and unpopular Sega CD! :D and released only 1 year after Shining Force II, it's 2 games in one! It's highly strange this hasn't been re-released on any widespread platform.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-cd/shining-force-cd

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Oct 25th, 2014, 03:08

I have just jumped into the Quake2 wagon myself, the PC version. Such a wonderful game, and somehow a lot better than I remembered it to be.

Warning: don't attempt vanilla quake2.exe without a 2.5 gamma-calibrated, fresh phosphor CRT!

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Nov 13th, 2014, 12:25

Nothing much lately, just no time really. :(
I wish I could play some Commander Keen games soon though!
LOL HI!

gerolf
New user

Post by gerolf » Nov 14th, 2014, 14:57

I've been playing Arena and Ultima Underworld lately.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Nov 14th, 2014, 22:24

Great choices, man!

gerolf
New user

Post by gerolf » Nov 16th, 2014, 05:41

Thanks, I like Arena a little more than Ultima Underworld, but both are great

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Jul 10th, 2015, 03:51

So I started to replay Witchaven last Friday (3rd July) and I was addicted to it like crack hahaha! I played through 12 maps in one day. I really love the first person Diablo characteristic of the game, despite the oddities with the engine and the lazyness with game design - Weapons aren't really different from one another, enemies are squishy and easy, lack of innovative spells, it's genuinely very fun to play with the non-linear and cool level design replicating a large labyrinth.

I prefer the theme and level design of the first game compared to it's sequel, but apart from that every other aspect is improved especially the difficulty.