What games are you playing? Chapter II

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
hellrazor
New user

Re: What games are you playing? Chapter II

Post by hellrazor » Aug 10th, 2012, 02:51

Damien_Azreal wrote:
hellrazor wrote:
Don't know if this is the place to ask, but has anyone played the other painkiller games? (redemption, overdose, resurrection, recurring evil?) Steam tells me they don't have very good metacritic scores. Just wondering what you guys think of them.
Overdose is awful. I own it and have tried on a couple of times to play it, but it's really, really bad. The balance is completely borked.
Enemies can deal ungodly amounts of damage to you, and there's next to no ammo pick ups on most maps. Making it a frustrating game to play.

As for the others, I played a demo for Redemption and that was enough to completely put me off the game. Resurrection and Recurring Evil I haven't touched, but I have no reason to believe that they are any better then Redemption.

Best bet, wait. The Farm51 and Nordic Games are remaking the first Painkiller and plan to release it later this year. Called "Painkiller: Hell and Damnation".
Thanks for the input. I'm downloading demos for overdose and redemption at the moment. Not really expecting it to blow me away or anything. The thought that demos might exist never occurred to me (Dem... Ohhhs? whaa?). I opted in for a beta test of Hell and Damnation. I can't remember if its just multiplayer or if there is singleplayer as well. I rarely check out multiplayer, but I like to get in on betas if I can just to poke around.
Panoptic Blur wrote:Nearing the end of STALKER: Call of Pripyat. Really interesting game, with the same attention to realism as the first (Shadow of Chernobyl). There are science-fiction elements that depart from realworld physics, but they're all the more impressive given how closely the game otherwise hews to realism.

The game has a weapon called the "Eliminator" which is basically an Armsel Striker revolver-loaded shotgun. Running around with this makes you into a one-man army in hallways and enclosed spaces. Other than that, I've tried carrying a NATO STANAG M-16 with grenade launcher, as well as a Warsaw Pact AN-94 (a successor rifle to the AK-74 design) with grenade launcher. I'm still debating which of those I like more as a mid-range accurized weapon.
I had an infatuation with my AK-74 that I upgraded all the way. Couldn't bring myself to replace it. Now I want to play all the Stalkers again. Damn...

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Aug 10th, 2012, 03:36

I just finished the game. The ending was very poignant - I escaped, but none of my friends made it with me. I blame my choice of weapons: I had a primary and a secondary firearm that just didn't quite cut it in the given combat situation.

*pours vodka in memoriam* To the fallen heroes of the Zone!
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » Aug 22nd, 2012, 11:29

Currently playing Shadow Warrior. It's taken me a month to get through the first episode and 2 maps of the second as i can only play it on and off.

It's fun, actually. I remember playing it a looong time ago around the same time i first came upon Blood, but unlike Blood i had very few fond memories of the game. My only complain is that there's just two episodes, the first is just 4 levels long? and the second one could've been split as it's 18 levels long. Still, awesome game.

Suture
Doin' Thangs

Post by Suture » Aug 22nd, 2012, 17:32

Deus Ex: Human Revolution once again.
Dimebog wrote:Start fearing my dick and stop spamming.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Aug 22nd, 2012, 18:47

hellrazor wrote:I had an infatuation with my AK-74 that I upgraded all the way. Couldn't bring myself to replace it. Now I want to play all the Stalkers again. Damn...
I know that feeling.

I have now finished the game, and I'm frankly surprised at how badly outclassed the Warsaw Pact weapons are, compared to the NATO weapons. I know the NATO weapons are supposed to be higher-performance, but I'd always thought that the difference was relatively slight, and the Warsaw Pact weapons would have far higher durability and possibly damage.

Evidently this is not the case - the game clearly puts the ex-Soviet weapons as the first tier of early-acquired weapons, and then the NATO weapons come along and pretty much outclass them in most battlefield situations as a second, higher, tier. I wonder whether this is reflective of real-world testing, or whether the design studio had some latent bias. (The latter proposal seems less likely than it might be, since the studio was in located in the former Soviet Union rather than being a gung-ho patriotic US studio.) The one saving grace is that NATO's rifles do seem to jam after much less use than the Warsaw Pact guns.

In the end I kept the Mercenaries running around Pripyat and tried to prowl around, picking fights with them and massacring them when possible. The Eliminator Shotgun is still useful indoors, but outdoors it's too limited in range and accuracy, so I eventually caved and upgraded to a few others. The best pure rifle I found was the SA Avalanche, which had good range, damage, and silenced shooting - but even that was outclassed by the combination rifle/grenade launchers you can get. The Tunder S14 is the Warsaw Pact's best combo firearm, although ammunition for it is not common (grenades are commoner). The FT-200M is the best combo NATO firearm, with very common primary ammunition and rare grenade ammunition. The only benefit that the Tunder has over the FT-200M is the former can mount a silencer. I also seem to notice the FT-200M jams earlier and more frequently than the Tunder, but that could be my mind playing tricks on me.

I have the RPG and grenade launcher weapons, but they seem to be included more for completeness' sake than real tactical usefulness. They have very rare ammunition, cannot be upgraded, and require a lot of practice to use properly. It's easier to just equip an RP-74 machine gun and engage enemies in line-of-sight livefire.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Nov 27th, 2012, 11:16

Been playing Set Up Internet on Nightmare difficulty. Very long game that's taken nearly a month to complete now.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Sir Seizhak
Pink on the Inside

Post by Sir Seizhak » Nov 27th, 2012, 15:22

That game is in my Games that I should play before die list.
Cabal's Return Add-On. Wait for it.

BloodHispano. The best Spanish Blood website!

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Dec 10th, 2012, 17:14

Currently trying to complete a few games I have left over from my most recent Steam binge (maybe from a year ago) - Archon reboot, Alien vs. Predator 2000 Classic (already completed as the Alien an all difficulties and as Marines and Predator on Easy), and two of the Ultima VI spin-off games: Martian Dreams and The Savage Empire.

Over the winter break I expect to play a lot of Deus Ex 3, Far Cry 3, and a number of excellent board and card games.

Bruce777999
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bruce777999 » Jan 27th, 2013, 15:33

Have been playing a slightly modded Ufo Defense for a while - what a trap and one of the greatest games of all time for me.
Other than that some arcade/NeoGeo stuff.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Mar 15th, 2013, 16:33

None. Thinking of third play through of hotline miami though.
LOL HI!

Sir Seizhak
Pink on the Inside

Post by Sir Seizhak » Mar 17th, 2013, 17:37

The Elder Scrolls I.

Mobius
New user

Post by Mobius » Apr 16th, 2013, 21:56

I am thoroughly enjoying Xcom and Realm of the Mad God.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Aug 2nd, 2013, 02:37

The Return of Heracles. This was the first computer RPG I ever played in my life and it's good for killing a couple of hours. I'm surprised by how much Greek mythology I still remember from my childhood reading.

Sir Seizhak
Pink on the Inside

Post by Sir Seizhak » Aug 10th, 2013, 14:29

Now I'm playing Descent.

I had low expectations but when I was playing I had to change my point of view. Is very funny, with good design levels and enemies. It was a good decision after all :D.

L3GEND
Still Kicking

Post by L3GEND » Aug 17th, 2013, 01:10

I play my second favorite game ... Max Payne 1 and 2 .. And Blood French Meat :)

https://bloodline.eu -regularly posted news, regularly new things
https://archive.bloodline.eu - the biggest blood bank ever made, over 2700 bloody files, from week to week more.
support our work and register !