Let's play games! Starring Shadowman!

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
Shadowman
The Posty Baby

Let's play games! Starring Shadowman!

Post by Shadowman » May 30th, 2009, 02:38

It seems that the "play through BLOOD" thing has already been done, and it has been done extremely well. As I sit here examining my games, a little voice is screaming at me, "Half-Life 2! Half-Life 2!" (I've beaten it before and I've got plenty of snappy comebacks for it.)

So without further I don't know how to spell it, I present to you,
Let's Play Half-Life 2!

Before I start, let me tell you this. Half-Life 2 tells you absolutely nothing about Hl1 and Clears absolutely nothing up. I played the two in reverse order and the only thing I learned was that Barney really did owe Gordon a beer.

So lets start.

Oh, great. A train ride. Creative. At least this one doesn't last until the end of the earth.
You walk out of the train, and are instantly blinded by some demon camera thing.
Why isn't that vortigaunt trying to kill me?
Follow the extremely linear pattern which is the trainstation with what seems like no exit, and you find yourself blocked into a chicken wire fence and this guy leads you into his scary tunnel.
OHcrapohcrapohcrapohcrap. Wait, why is his head so swollen?
Oh, it's just that stupid security guard that I am pretty sure I shot in the face during the first game.
After a long trek-- well, run-- out of a large flat complex, you find yourself in the hands of Alyx, a young woman who is eerily well dressed for a post apocalyptic world. She leads you to the lab of the ever-incompetent Dr. Kliener, who teleports you about two feet from the outside of the building you were just in. You're on the lamb again, and Barney hands you a crowbar. That thing again. Of course you don't get one of those cool stun batons.

You're getting shot at as you run through the train tracks in a very frustrating, but simple maze. After a small walk you find yourself in a hallway as this nice lady is being tortured and her husband has just been killed.
Good. I was sick of those trains. If I see another train I'm going to go nuts. Also one of the cops dropped a pistol. I've been practicing my headshots in Garry's mod.
Hee hee! Booooom!

Oh no. Train tracks. If I see a train...
GAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!
I jump on the train and climb the ladder. All the time I'm getting shot at and I'm pretty much defenseless.
So I find myself in here.
Hey, looks like a good opportunity to blow the hell out of something!
Unfortunately I missed and had to shoot them.
I followed the path and ended up surrounded by MORE TRAINS. They were dropping explodive barrels down staircases as well, and I was too busy running from traps I seemed to be setting for myself.
I did snap this shot.
And this one.
They ambushed me; surrounded me on both sides. I dispatched them with the help of some ammo crates in a small niche. I left the area and just as I found a little lake, a train went past me.
After picking up my brain, I proceeded into a train cart where I found a vortigaunt trying to kill me.
AAAAAAGH AAAAGH AAAGH AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH
After I figured out he was actually charging my suit, I headed out and proceeded to make one of the loudest and conspicuous sounds I will ever make in a videogame.
I continued on until I found an underground railroad station that was beeing uprooted. No matter how hard I tried to save them, they would keep running into the crossfire! There was also a turret pointed at me.
About this time I noticed how blasé the muzzle blasts were. I proceeded to download a couple hi-definition packs.
Now that's what I'm talkin' bout.
Nice furnishings, station 12. Is that a designer couch?
After making my way out of that area because I was sick of getting shot at, I found this thing. I wonder if it'll be friends with me.
Achievement Unlocked: <3*
(Since returned to Daedalus.)
Achievement Unlocked: Kickass Chaos Avatar by Ella.

Achievement Unlocked: Best Insult Ever

Baron_Samedi
New user

Re: Let's play games! Starring Shadowman!

Post by Baron_Samedi » Jun 22nd, 2009, 03:37

Go play the episodes, you...monster.

Lukas
New user

Post by Lukas » Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:54

HL2 is a good game on it's own, but following the tradition of (almost) all video game sequels (Blood 2, Doom 3, etc.) it is sucks compared to the first game.

Reconite
Still Kicking

Post by Reconite » Jun 23rd, 2010, 11:01

Lukas wrote:HL2 is a good game on it's own, but following the tradition of (almost) all video game sequels (Blood 2, Doom 3, etc.) it is sucks compared to the first game.
I'd say you're being a bit harsh on Half-Life 2. I liked the first game better too but in no way does HL2 "suck". It's a better sequel than Blood 2 or Doom 3 were to their respective franchises but there's no need to strap on those nostalgia goggles.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Reconite11

Lukas
New user

Post by Lukas » Jun 23rd, 2010, 11:30

Yeah, maybe I was a bit too harsh. It's just that I was quite disappointed comparing HL2 to HL1. Also, I said HL2 is an good (very much above average) game, but it's disappointing since it is a sequel to a great and almost timeless classic.

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Jun 25th, 2010, 23:29

Well I think we have a tendency to always favor the first in a series, especially if we were young when we played it. It holds a special place in our hearts just like certain songs, movies, and tv shows do. But I can honestly say that Half Life 2 was 100% equal with its predecessor. It took nothing away from the intuitive, cinema-like action of the first game, and instead only added a physics engine that is now copied by every game in existence. Half Life 2, and its further episodes, are fairly brilliant IMHO :D
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

Lukas
New user

Post by Lukas » Jun 26th, 2010, 10:21

Well I think we have a tendency to always favor the first in a series, especially if we were young when we played it. It holds a special place in our hearts just like certain songs, movies, and tv shows do.
Yeah.
But I can honestly say that Half Life 2 was 100% equal with its predecessor. It took nothing away from the intuitive, cinema-like action of the first game, and instead only added a physics engine that is now copied by every game in existence. Half Life 2, and its further episodes, are fairly brilliant IMHO :D
Well, I guess my prejudice against sequels got the better of me. Yeah, I played HL2 and it is very good, though IMO not brilliant as you say. Nevertheless, the old HL, as you say, holds a special place in my heart.