Doom level...

Discussion about things related to computers, games and internet.
Bruce777999
Pink on the Inside

Re: Doom level...

Post by Bruce777999 » May 18th, 2012, 21:19

-preliminary color config file support(later wad also) - associative per pwad/iwad per map name -> e.g. doom2/map01.xxx
-transparency is currently disabled because I have to come up with a more appropriate solution

Test shot of Map02(my fav)
raw

fine

fine color

-added a visual cue on how the zone mem changes during game play... funny to watch -> white/header, green/free, red/static, dark red/level, grey/cache, white underline/rover...

Bruce777999
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bruce777999 » Aug 27th, 2012, 08:35

Little Update:

Maybe the first 3 maps of the megawad will be an added bonus(strictly within vanilla limits).

Some pics to prevent total boredom... "Map22"... I simply have a soft spot for it... the faint blue makes the marble in the lower caverns look so much colder...

...btw - creating the color file(simple text) via typing may be a perfect fit for generation jobless. ^^

This takes longer than expected - I should have known better... ^^

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Jul 7th, 2013, 10:02

Sire we need some sort of update, come now :cry:
It is better to light a candle then to curse the darkness...

Bruce777999
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bruce777999 » May 30th, 2014, 14:40

Hi there - long time, no see.

The megawad is still in development - what a monster in terms of work... as usually one totally underestimates that stuff until it's half done... then the pain starts. Hats off to anybody who ever did a project and finished it.
I also rechecked one of my sketches for a Blood map. It's a part of a cathedral which is placed on a abandoned island. It was a pun on Robinson Crusoe - if I find shots I'll post 'em.
The port hasn't been really updated since I'm not really a tech guy. But I did gain some interesting inside when "porting" Fraggle's software up scaler to SSE/2/3 and suffering a fatal bottleneck via the "update rectangle" function in SDL which obliterated any speed increases I had accomplished.
I'll post shots if I find good ones of the current things.

Take care

Bruce777999
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bruce777999 » Jun 1st, 2014, 11:46

A couple of shots from a contribution(3 maps) I did for a Doomworld project - "DoomInNameOnly" if I remember correctly.

Files: batch file is for chocolate doom. Just edit it if you're using another port.
Link...
http://speedy.sh/N3GkB/Mapset.rar
Pass...
postmortem

Another preview of MAP06 of the megawad.

Preview of SSE stretcher(8 bit) for Chocolate Doom - speed on a Core2Duo 7200...
Stretch1x - 230 vs ~290 kCycles - ~120% faster
Stretch2x - 800 vs ~280 kCycles - ~280% faster
Stretch3x - 2400 vs ~900 kCycles - ~267% faster

Take care

Bruce777999
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bruce777999 » Dec 18th, 2017, 13:51

For those who were interested - I'm still working on the megawad. Yes, it could have been finished by now but I hugely underestimated this + my work ethic has been lacking(including some back issues which I was able to largely overcome).
In my "defense" - I contributed a few maps to projects(2 or 3 I think) on Doomworld which helped me spot weaknesses and get a bit more crafty... a lot of my designs are too static.

I overhauled Map01 to Map11(Map07 being the first map I ever made) and now have to lean into it to get Map12 to Map20 going.

The ChocolorDoom renderer is inactive and a new one has to be designed from scratch. There's no merit in hacking this thing anymore than it already has been. It's an interesting oddity of sorts that can stand on its own. Unless I'm able to do "the right thing" I'll leave it as it is. I'm also re-learning things I never really understood. Unless one's a genius it's not so easy to put it all together and really understand the core essence of the craft.

No screens at the moment, but testers for Map01 to Map11(episode 1) would be appreciated.

p.s.: played Cryptic Passage yesterday and this thread popped into my mind.

Take care

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Dec 19th, 2017, 21:10

Hi Bruce! Nice to hear from you.

Talk about a blast from the past, this topic first started in 2008! Interesting to hear your still cracking on with your megawad despite the slow pace, better late then never!
It is better to light a candle then to curse the darkness...