oBe goes Haywire

Discussion about music, movies and art in general.
RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Post by RedFanatic » May 31st, 2007, 03:36

Oooo i was avoiding this post because it sounded dull and more for people who know oBe, but i see now i was wrong.

First nice art work Dude! i'm a big fan of super hero type stuff and a VERY beginner artist myself and your
drawings are really exciting in just that small amount, I want more :)

And now my 'Two Cents'
First if you want a web page the easyest setup i know (that dosen't involve learning an entire program languge)
is FrontPage, true it's clunky and a bit off putting at first but after you've learned it's
various quirks and Microsoft annoyances it's very simple and easy to create
basic sites then all you need is Hosting and a tiny FTP program called CuteFTP (heres the LINK to it) and you away, True you'll have more flexibility and detail with DreamWeaver or HTML,
but do you really have the time for all that?

As for the Story and stuff, well i'll have to think about it a bit as regards Details,
But one thing i feel must be said right off.
While it's true 'Most' things these days are
There are basic plot structures like hero is happy, something bad happens oh no! Then hero kicks ass and overcomes the bad... the end
That dosen't mean it's good
most things like that SUCK (i mean no offence N470) and in fact it's a very good point
the basic structure must be held in mind but what makes a really compelling tale
in my mind anyway (and remember i have no special knowlage this is just observation)
What make a good story is the belife of it's creator, by that i mean don't hand the entire thing over to the audiance by getting stuck to the 'Structure'
instead Create a 'world' that the Reader is looking in on,

So what if we don't know about all the details at first or don't quite understand the motives right off
part of the real fun of a story (again for me) is the feeling of getting lost in someone elses imagination, and if it's too templated then you (as in the reader)
do all the work and don't really engage with the writers concept.

That all might be bollocks :? but it seamed nessicery
oh also if you do want to checkout FrontPage here are some good starting Tips
FrontPage Tips
[color=red]Infuscomus Cruo Lokemundux[/color]

http://bpf.deathmask.net/
[img]http://bpf.deathmask.net/banner.gif[/img]

oBe
The Mad Scientist

Post by oBe » May 31st, 2007, 16:06

More will follow Red, I've got some stuff ready, but I just haven't found the time to scan.

I've also begun scribbling down the events I'm going to portray, divided into chapters, and the story is getting shaped up drastically. I've got one big story in my head, so I don't plan on episodic arcs. There's no homecoming for the "hero"; it's all in one bigass quest. The plan of actions will be something like:
- create mysterious question
- answer question and raise another question.
If it works for Lost, I dont see why it shouldn't work for me :D
And that, 'till I reach the conclusion. After that, I'll sell the title and merchandise the hell out of it. :D

I really wonder if other webcomics take this much time planning these things out.

As for the sitedeal. Thanks for the links, but I'm already capable of making a basic site and uploading it. The problematic part is the tables/frames, or whatever the hell they call it. Basicly, only one page should load, and within that page a new graphic should be loaded upon clicking a button. This button should not be a hyperlink, as no new page will be loaded. But I suppose I should look into this first, and maybe investigating how other sites do it, before I start whining.

RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Post by RedFanatic » Jun 1st, 2007, 04:40

Hmm cool, one thing though if it's Frames your talking about be aware some search engines
have trouble finding Frame's sites, usually better to have just many pages.

Also i had a thought or two about the Mask see what you think......

Best first:
The Mask is actually a M.A.S.C
Maximum Awareness Sensory Computer effectivly giving the character super senses or even extra senses.

Or slightly more wild and perhaps too Story driving it is one of two possibilities,
1 The 'Hero' is in fact a ghost or spectre with no form or precence unless he has the mask,
or 2 the world in which he has his adventures is only percivable and reachable through the Mask.

oBe
The Mad Scientist

Post by oBe » Jun 1st, 2007, 10:21

RedFanatic wrote:Or slightly more wild and perhaps too Story driving it is one of two possibilities,
1 The 'Hero' is in fact a ghost or spectre with no form or precence unless he has the mask,
or 2 the world in which he has his adventures is only percivable and reachable through the Mask.
:shock: Actually, that isn't too far off of what I planned.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Jun 1st, 2007, 12:19

oBe wrote:- create mysterious question
- answer question and raise another question.
If it works for Lost, I dont see why it shouldn't work for me :D
And that, 'till I reach the conclusion. After that, I'll sell the title and merchandise the hell out of it. :D

I really wonder if other webcomics take this much time planning these things out.

As for the sitedeal. Thanks for the links, but I'm already capable of making a basic site and uploading it. The problematic part is the tables/frames, or whatever the hell they call it. Basicly, only one page should load, and within that page a new graphic should be loaded upon clicking a button. This button should not be a hyperlink, as no new page will be loaded. But I suppose I should look into this first, and maybe investigating how other sites do it, before I start whining.
I don't think Lost ever actually answered any questions man. :] But to be honest, that concept doesn't work for me anyway.

Actually it is a hyperlink, but it loads new content within a certain frame instead of loading everything you see on your screen every time. Other ways to acomplish that without using HLs is a full flash site, or PHP which could be the best solution (but a bit complicated for maintanence). I think getting help from a PHP expert was way to go.

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » Jun 1st, 2007, 13:31

Tables are really easy... all in all html is really easy. It's not even a programming language, it's just code. All html is is telling the pc where to put what and how... no loops, no if elses, none of that. If you need me to write html code for you I will no prob, really it's easy.

Also it's impossible to load something with making it a hyperlink, when dealing with html and php anyways.. the other stuff I don't know but I doubt it. You can make it look like it wasn't a link though, that's easy. You have to use php for that though and that means having a php server of your own, I could look into that if you want.

oBe
The Mad Scientist

Post by oBe » Jun 1st, 2007, 16:20

Nathan, I'll surely take you up on that.

Current plan of action:

1) write down complete storyline -> I'm gonna go find me some writer guy to iron out the kinks. Like I said before, stupid stuff like names is a pain, but I suppose I might as well use references on that. An example I won't use, no-one will be named Ash, but Bruce might be okay.

2) make graphic template for the site; bug Nate on how to handle it from there

3) find a way to fit Batman in the storyline

4) start drawing page 1

5) suicide

As for the Lost comparison,
well, no, let's not get into that. :D

EDIT:
6) Bumblebee!

oBe
The Mad Scientist

Post by oBe » Jun 2nd, 2007, 17:26

Can't have no mid-post-apocalyptic webcomic without cowboys and creepy guys with big kitchenknives, right?

RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Post by RedFanatic » Jun 3rd, 2007, 04:16

Right :D

I got some names you might want to consider....well one name really that i just like
not sure why, and it's not even that special i just like it :?
and perhaps you can use it

It is......

Paul Benadict

oBe
The Mad Scientist

Post by oBe » Jun 3rd, 2007, 15:26

Paul Benedict?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0070801/

Don't get me wrong here, I'm glad you're providing suggestions. I do however require a triple layered meaning, I wouldn't feel comfortable with settling for a name, just because Red likes it.

And now on symbolism. I require circular symbols, be it religious, occult, or whatever else you can come up with. Anyone got a convenient site, which collects all?

Yes; I'm familiar with and know how to use teh Google, but I haven't found a big enough site, so I'm guessing I'm using the wrong searchterms.

oBe
The Mad Scientist

Post by oBe » Jun 3rd, 2007, 22:10

Some older ones as proof of concept.

Appearance was alot more Spawnlike back then, and it also included a female counterpart. This role has been scrapped, though I still plan on implemented women, because let's face it, chicks sell. :wink:

Shaggy
Pink on the Inside

Post by Shaggy » Jun 3rd, 2007, 22:14

hym, this tree-legged monster is a chick? :lol:
signatures are irrelevant. they are for those naive simpletons, who think that they can sum their whole life philosophy in several worlds.
idiots.

oBe
The Mad Scientist

Post by oBe » Jun 3rd, 2007, 22:16

Nono, you got me all wrong.

That's a dog! :D

RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Post by RedFanatic » Jun 5th, 2007, 04:53

Hey thats Cool it was just a name that occured to me (must have been from one of his films)
but i shall try to think of slightly less earthly and more 'Linked' ones in future.

Also this may help
Good old Wiki to the rescue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_symbols

oBe
The Mad Scientist

Post by oBe » Oct 17th, 2007, 20:30

I haven't forgotten about this, but I haven't had exams anymore, so I haven't really progressed on either. I've been plotting it out more in my head, and added a few more elements.

Fortunately, I get bored at work too, so:

robots
more specifically, big robots
and chicks: