Last movie(s) you watched?

Discussion about music, movies and art in general.
Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Apr 1st, 2006, 19:07

Got a few more to add to the pile.

Beetle Juice - Fun movie. Kept me intrigued for quite some time, but it could've really used some plot thickening and more Betelgeuse.

Child's Play 2 - Chucky's back. Whee. This movie is everything you expect it to be. Why the original needed a sequel is unclear.

Con Air - Welcome to Con Air! Okay, big deal. This is just your average action flick of the 90's. When in doubt - blow something up.

Ghost Busters - Good to see this again, after all these years. It's got action, humour, romance. I'm quite sure I don't need to explain it to anybody.

Ghost Busters 2 - Easily comparable to the first. They are both great, even if the plots are almost identical. ;) One thing that's really skilled about this movie is that it's great and doesn't require that you see the first. It stands on its own. Jarmo and I recently spoke about them and he mentioned that he was surprised it wasn't a trilogy. In a way I am thankful that it isn't because I could easily imagine the movie going into the disgusting six and sevens', as so many 80's movies liked to. I'm pleased that there was never a 'bad' Ghost Busters made.

Titanic - This is a really good movie, but I don't feel like talking about it.

V For Vendetta - Don't agree with Scirmast on this one. Went to see this with a mate, at his request. We missed the first minute or two, before the title, but I wish we'd missed it all. First off, the movie is hyped. Secondly, the Wichowski brothers have this really annoying habit whereby they place emphasis (and go overboard in doing so) on absolutely everything. Nobody talks, they talk. We can't just see rain, we have to see rain and lightning. This movie actually isn't successful in anything it does. The action is lame, the dialogue bland (save for a few choice lines by V), the characters one dimensional, the whole setting utterly dull and even the messages it tries so desperately to deliver, it doesn't deliver clearly or appropriately. I can actually go on for quite a while explaining why this movie was terrible, but it really isn't worth the breath. I shall never expose myself to this unintelligable, brutal, bland documentary ever again. Cheers!
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Willis
New user

Post by Willis » Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:10

Movies watched over the last couple weeks:

Alien Apocolypse - re-watch - Was in a 'Bruce' mood. Pretty lacking movie, but it is still Bruce, which still makes it worth watching! For some reason, it seemed better the first time when I saw it on TV.

Hudsucker Proxy - More Bruce, a true corporate movie with a remotely fun story.

McHales Navy - re-watch - Even more Bruce, hilarious movie. See it.

Darkman - re-watch - Alright movie, hadn't seen it in some time. Small role by Bruce in the end.

Darkman 2 - struggling for a plot...

Darkman 3 - really struggling for a plot...

Under Suspicion - Just strange. Interesting, but strange.

Blood Simple - Strange movie, though I didn't think it was terribly great. Just a confusing story of murder.

28 Days Later - re-watch. A zombie movie with a true human aspect. Not perfect, but not bad at all.

Arlington Road - I hate it when Tim Robbins plays the bad guy, but he does do it well. Pretty interesting movie, in which I actually didn't see the ending coming until it happened... maybe I'm losing it? Mostly good acting, interesting story and theory.

Big - re-watch - Young Tom Hanks. A boy seeing things through a man's eyes... classic, funny flick :)

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - re-watch - South Park of the 70's with british accents. Always up for religion bashing!

The Crow - re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-watch - You all better have seen this one by now...

Hot Shots! - re-watch - The Top Gun spoof. Pure comedy goodness! If you haven't seen it, do so!

Hot Shots! Part Deux - re-watch - A Rambo spoof. Not as good as the first, but it has its moments.

Then I went on a long movie bender yesterday...

K-PAX - re-watch. Interesting movie. Another one of those "psychological" ones this time involving a possible alien. Pretty good acting, still enjoyed it.

About Schmidt - It's labeled as a comedy, but its really just a story. A really really..... really slow story. Jack wasn't able to save this one.

L.A. Confidential - Great movie. Cops, call girls, drugs, bribes, and action.

Mercury Rising - just another hollywood action flick.

Who Is Cletus Tout? - Excellent movie! Its the perfect hollywood movie, and it reminds you every step of the way in its comical way!

The January Man - Silence of the Lambs with a small bit of unintelligent comedy. Average movie.

Pushing Tin - Good acting, but the story gets boring pretty quickly.

Romper Stomper - Hate in its purest form. A less focused version of American History X.
--Willis

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:16

Agree with you on About Schmidt there, Willis. 28 Days Laters' zombies were sort of crap, but that vomiting Blood trick was pretty gross.

Hot shots is always fun. :)
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

DustyStyx
Still Kicking

Post by DustyStyx » Apr 3rd, 2006, 17:35

I've been watching movies while I skin, so I've been going through my DVD collection. I've watched The Cronicles of Riddick most recently.

Others over the last month:

L.A. Confidential

Indiana Jones and the Tamali... err Temple of Doom (Yes, I just got the box set)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Shawn of the Dead - I generaly like British hummor, but this one was a little lost on me.

Indiana Jones and the Lost Arch

Pitch Black

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Sin City

Batman Begins

I'll probably start watching the original Star Wars trillogy again next, tho my anime cravings have started to peak again. I should probably see about getting the Ghost in the Shell: SAC series

I still havn't seen The Crow

Willis
New user

Post by Willis » Apr 4th, 2006, 12:08

My copy of The Chronicles of Riddick has seemed to have disappeared I found out last night. Pitch Black was much better anyway, but my list of missing movies keeps growing depressingly longer :(

I also forgot to mention that I had re-watched the Fifth Element in there somewhere, as well as The Jackal. Guess I was on a Bruce & Bruce kick :)

Yes, the zombies in 28 Days Later were pretty weird, but I like the movie more for the plot than anything else, zombie movies tend to come in two flavors, all plot and no effects, or all effects and no plot. I must say for having such poor zombies, yes, the blood effects of the movie were spectacular, though unfortunatly somewhat rare.

Sin City is STILL on my list of to watch, I just keep forgetting about it... probably this weekend. Up now, Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels

Cruaich: You need to watch The Crow!
And I guess I've always gotten British humor, so I loved Shaun of the Dead, though listening to the commentary, it really does prove how different the cultures are, they point out all the stuff they changed to make it playable for an American audience.
--Willis

DustyStyx
Still Kicking

Post by DustyStyx » Apr 5th, 2006, 16:36

Willis: Maybe that's why it was a little lost on me, if they changed it to serve the American audience, I wonder how the original would have been.

As for the Crow, I think it's just always struck combining goths and drama club <shudder> But if you insit I'll swing by the library and see if they still have a copy. I noticed they had it in their collection last month.

mouth
Lightly Broiled

Post by mouth » Apr 9th, 2006, 22:03

Land Of The Dead: I liked it! Not to mention the fact that it was gazillion times better than that House of The Dead ubercrap. Romero knows his job, Boll doesn't.
Long live the new flesh!

BoneofFear
Pink on the Inside

Post by BoneofFear » Apr 10th, 2006, 08:18

mouth wrote:Land Of The Dead: I liked it! Not to mention the fact that it was gazillion times better than that House of The Dead ubercrap. Romero knows his job, Boll doesn't.
That's because Boll doesn't like to stick to the storyline of a game franchise (wait games have STORYLINES? j/k)

And here's my message to Boll......

if you even THINK about touching the Blood franchise...

SO HELP ME TCHUNERBACH WILL REAP YOUR SOUL AFTER I BURN YOUR BODY AND MIND WITH A FLARE GUN!!!!

This is not an idol threat....This boll is my warning to you
I don't suffer from insanity,I'm enjoying every second of it. - Clan Malkavian

Hellen
Well Done

Post by Hellen » Apr 10th, 2006, 10:46

I tried to watch BloodRayne. My attempt failed…
Well, I’ve achieved more progress with watching Alone in the Dark – the whole HALF of the movie! Too bad I don’t remember what it was about…
As for BloodRayne – only first 15 minutes. Then I just felt terribly sorry for what they’ve done with the poor girl who once was my role-model. Yeah, and the movie doesn’t answer my main question: how can Rayne live with these blades tied to her arms. No doubt, they look cool but they also make your everyday life slightly uncomfortable.

Can you name any ‘not bad’ Boll’s movie?

Shaggy
Pink on the Inside

Post by Shaggy » Apr 10th, 2006, 18:38

Hellen wrote:Can you name any ‘not bad’ Boll’s movie?
yup. Far Cry, Hunter: The Reckoning, Fear Effect, Postal...
signatures are irrelevant. they are for those naive simpletons, who think that they can sum their whole life philosophy in several worlds.
idiots.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Apr 10th, 2006, 19:02

Shaggy wrote:yup. Far Cry, Hunter: The Reckoning, Fear Effect, Postal...
That's because he hasn't done them yet?

mouth
Lightly Broiled

Post by mouth » Apr 10th, 2006, 20:39

That must be it. There is certainly no other explanation for Shaggy's answer. :lol:
Uwe Toilet is a lost cause.
Long live the new flesh!

Shaggy
Pink on the Inside

Post by Shaggy » Apr 10th, 2006, 21:48

Daedolon wrote:
Shaggy wrote:yup. Far Cry, Hunter: The Reckoning, Fear Effect, Postal...
That's because he hasn't done them yet?
that's the point! :]
signatures are irrelevant. they are for those naive simpletons, who think that they can sum their whole life philosophy in several worlds.
idiots.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Apr 17th, 2006, 15:56

Haven't been watching much lately, but ...

The Terminal - Just a heartwarming story. Nothing wrong with it, but not much replay value.

Willis
New user

Post by Willis » Apr 17th, 2006, 22:02

Sin City (finally) - Great stories and style, but not really a movie...

Robin Hood Men in Tights - re-watch - Love this movie :) Mel Brooks box set just came out signifying the first US release of this movie to DVD. "Because unlike other Robin Hood's, I can speak with an English accent!"

Family Guy Season 4 - Just not as funny as the first 3 seasons...

AntiTrust - re-watch - One of the better computer type movies.
--Willis