Last movie(s) you watched?

Discussion about music, movies and art in general.
MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Re: Last movie(s) you watched?

Post by MoonStalkeR » Feb 21st, 2012, 20:02

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil :thumbsup:

Comedy horror, middle of the woods, crazy college students in conflict with two hillbillies... who is the slasher :lol:
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Feb 21st, 2012, 20:31

That description reminds me of Wrong Turn.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Mar 29th, 2012, 17:08

I watched The Matrix a few months after it first came out, under great duress from my colleagues. I found it to be above average but nothing truly memorable - although the CGI was impressive, the fight scenes were humdrum, the acting was uneven (Neo himself was especially weak), and the plot was self-indulgent and incomprehensible.

I did catch the sequels, again largely because colleagues wanted to see them, and I came away with an even lower opinion - frankly, the trilogy was not worth the time.

It's been almost a decade since the film trilogy concluded. I may see if I can sit down and watch them all at once, to see if they make more sense that way. I can't shake a feeling that the directors intentionally made it obfuscating and vague, in order to fool viewers into over-analyzing the heavy dosages of symbolism and thereby attribute to it much more thought than the directors actually consciously included. I've had this feeling with games and movies before, and it's usually turned out right.

That having been said, I have noticed with two important movies my first impression was incorrect and a second viewing completely changed how I felt - those two movies were Blade Runner and Inception. I figure The Matrix might just warrant a second, combined viewing.

This is a feeling I do not have for, say, Star Wars I-III.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Mar 29th, 2012, 22:43

I didn't find anything vague about the Matrix movies. I think it is a pretty straight-forward concept and delivery.

The first Matrix movie stands out as a kind of a complete story and it is one of my all time favourite movies. The movie, however, was cursed to have incredible special effects for the time as well as invent some that nobody thought of before in the film industry. I say cursed because those factors are pretty much the only thing people remember about the movie and the way it was advertised, overlooking the fact that it's premise is one of the most original cyberpunk concepts of our time.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Post by kurt » Mar 30th, 2012, 03:34

I'll agree that the first Matrix had an interesting concept mixed in with all of the special effects. The idea that who we are, and reality itself not being what we thought it was, was somewhat thought provoking. However I think The 13th Floor covered the topic of reality in a much more satisfying way, without the flashy special effects. The Matrix may be cursed with those special effects, but it was also cursed with the presence of Keaneu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne. They're 2 actors that annoy me in almost everything they do, with the same monotone and emotionless delivery. Although I didn't mind Laurence Fishburne in Event Horizon which is a movie that nobody likes although I do. But getting back on topic, I've never seen parts 2 and 3 of the Matrix because I've heard they were unsatisying and not very good. But I'd recommend you give the original Matrix another try because it was actually quite a good movie.

I recently saw a strange little flick that I quite enjoyed. Triangle (2009) was like a horror movie from The Twilight Zone, with a mind-bending plot full of horror, that's a mystery to analyze. If I still think about a movie days after I've seen it then its done something right. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I always enjoy a thought provoking story especially if its mixed with some bizarre horror.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Mar 30th, 2012, 10:20

kurt wrote:...Event Horizon which is a movie that nobody likes although I do.
Objection!
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Mar 30th, 2012, 11:57

Daedalus wrote:
kurt wrote:...Event Horizon which is a movie that nobody likes although I do.
Objection!
Event Horizon had potential (for the beginning), then it became cheesy horror movie with unintentional hilariousity that ate away the horror aspect of the movie.
LOL HI!

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Mar 31st, 2012, 00:08

I liked it but it's nothing groundbreaking. 8/10 at best.

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Mar 31st, 2012, 00:21

Event Horizon stands out to me. I was practically searching for a movie that explores the realm of extradimensional leakage before discovering it.
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Mar 31st, 2012, 08:53

It's a very good film.

I wish they did more films in that vein, I guess Pandorum is kind of a decent contender in that style but with a completely different theme. I'd recommend watching that, though some people might find it a bit too Hollywoodish.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Mar 31st, 2012, 09:31

I recommend Andrei Tarkovsky's Solyaris if you like psychological space sci-fi. It's really good, deep and emotional movie about humanity.
LOL HI!

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Mar 31st, 2012, 10:23

I couldn't get into that movie at all. Though I guess I don't think George Clooney can portray emotions at all.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Mar 31st, 2012, 14:39

Daedolon wrote:I couldn't get into that movie at all. Though I guess I don't think George Clooney can portray emotions at all.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069293/
Solyaris

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307479/
Solaris

Two different things
LOL HI!

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Mar 31st, 2012, 16:17

I want to watch Sunshine. It's said to be a good sci-fi movie.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Mar 31st, 2012, 19:49

I have the Solyaris movie poster.