Last movie(s) you watched?

Discussion about music, movies and art in general.
Keis
New user

Post by Keis » Feb 5th, 2006, 06:23

Devil's Advocate: seen this twice before, but never from the beginning. A movie in my taste.
Unbreakable: Seen it once before. Bruce Willis is my favourite actor of all time. An ok movie. (witch reminds me, I need to buy the Die Hard trilogy ASAP)

Tomorrow: "Signs" and maby some other movie...

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Feb 26th, 2006, 02:12

I'm doubting I even want to do this post, I've way ahead of schedule and hardly can remember any movies I've seen lately (I might have forgotten few). Since there's too much to comment, I'll keep them short.

Undead: Pretty good for such a low-budget movie, some good humour and... stuff.

They Live: Awesome movie, yet so awful. I like it.

Kubrick's The Shining: One of the best movies I've seen. I could start praising all the little things and some of the bigger things (like, Jack Nicholson), but we all know them already so I won't.

Mad Max 2: The same as above, I think everyone knows what we're dealing with, an awesome movie what I can but only praise.

Mad Max 3: I like this way much more than the first one in the trilogy. I truly think this one has received bad reviews for nothing. Of course, it's not as good as the second one, but has a lot of positive things keeping the movie together. And I can even find some specific stuff I liked in it more than I did in Mad Max 2, but I'll keep them to myself. Underrated!

Terminator 3: This time when I saw it, I understood it. It was a perfect Terminator movie. It had all the stuff it ever could have! No? Name one, just ONE thing it could possibly have to be a better Terminator movie. It has all of the action, affection and Arnold in it the first two movies had. I really need to see this beauty more often. Way too much underrated.

Planet of the Apes 1: Ahh. I can remember this from my early childhood. I think the reason I remembered it, was that it was (well, I think) the most shocking film a ten year old kid could see. If you have no clue whatsoever of what this movie is about, I'd suggest you to go and see it.

... Yes. I know it has "ape" in the title, I've heard the same complaint about it from lots of friends and I don't get it. You're all still a descendant from apes, which just makes it more of a reason to go to see this movie. It has a message in it which I value!

Planet of the Apes 2: Now. This one is "just" the first movie taken further, I think most of you Fallout fanboys out there can appreciate this beauty as much as I do. It has it all: human stupidity, nuclear weaponry, mutants, love, hate in it... In some way, it exceeds it's predecessor, but yet, I consider them walking hand-in-hand (not because of the storyline in the least).

Planet of the Apes 3: Unless you're a fanboy like me or didn't enjoy the two first movies so much, this is where you could stop watching. A nice build-up storyline around the same universe, with a interesting twist (you'll know if you've seen the first one). I like it.

Species 1: Umm, well. I had a memory of the movie, that I had seen it in the past. It seems that it was actually the second movie, but side-notes aside. With cheap hollywood action and a good looking model, the storyline is cheesy and the acting is horrible, some of the worst of Gigers work and stupid ending... I begin to worry myself, since I like this movie somehow.

Planet of the Apes 4: Well, uhh. The same disclaimer that works for the third one, works for this one too. A nice build-up storyline. Nothing too good, but a fine movie for people who liked the first three movies.

Planet of the Apes 5: This is where I'd suggest even the most hard-core fanboys steer clear off. This movie is plain horrible. H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E.

Predator 2: Truly a gem. I've always been the little heretic and lone wolf... I like this movie alot, even MORE than the original Predator. Now if they just did a good DVD release with a nice bunch of extras... mm...

SAW: Way better than I expected, I liked most, if not all aspects of it.

RoboCop: Ha, can't really say anything constructive about it. I like it alot, I always have.

RoboCop 2: I like this one the least in the trilogy, but nonetheless, it's a good movie to me.

RoboCop 3: Well, I can't say I like this one too much either, but somehow I find it more fascinating than the second one. Although, I have to admit that I'd rather see the second one than this one if asked. It's just that, "Cain" and the horrible "RoboCop 2"'s make me hate the movie with all my heart.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: First time I saw the movie. All I can say that I have to buy this movie to my own DVD collection so I can see it over and over again...

Back to the Future: What would be a month without seeing the Back to the Future trilogy? NOTHING! This movie (trilogy) has to be a gift to humanity bestowed by God(s).

Back to the Future part II: Better storyline, a little bit worse production design.

Back to the Future part III: I'm not sure, but I think I like this one the most of the trilogy. If not, at least more than the second one. Doc Emmett Brown has always been my favourite movie character. And the scene in which Brown and Marty switch their lines makes me endear the movie.

Star Wars, Episode IV: New Hope: I've seen this one too many times, since it was the only Star Wars I had recorded on VHS, I think I like it a bit more than Episode VI.

Star Wars, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back: My favourite in the trilogy. For reasons unknown.

Star Wars, Episode VI: Return of the Jedi: My least favourite in the trilogy. I don't see a reason to say any more of these movies.

The Fifth Element: I hardly have anything to say of this, I still need to get my own copy so I can watch it whenever I want.

Terminator 1: I still like it as much as I always have.

Mad Max: Uhh, well. It was a bit better than I remembered. The trilogy would do a bit better without the movie if you ask me.

Ghostbusters: A childhood favourite, I was a bit (but just a tad!) dissapointed in it since it has been at least few years since I saw it the last time. Truly a great movie.

Ghostbusters 2: A bit "left in the dark" for me, I had seen it maybe once in my childhood and few times since. It's not near as good as the first one, but not a bad movie.

The Sixth Sense: Uhh, I still hate the kid, but like the story and Bruce Willis a lot.

Unbreakable: A bit underrated, perhaps. I think the movie is great.

Signs: I like the movie the least from the director, but it's not bad.

RoboCop 2: Saw it again...

Signs: Yeah...

The Night of the Living Dead, 1990 Remake: And here we go again... If you missed my opinion on this: One of the best movies ever made.

Police Academy: Ahh, great stuff. What can I say, I hardly like comedy, but this one is pulled off so greatly that you simply have to love it. At least I do.

Police Academy 2: The series still goes on with a good touch.

Police Academy 3: Good one. You just have to love Zed in this one! My third most favourite one in the serie.

Police Academy 4: Well, all of the characters are still good, but the storyline just can't keep you interested. And I've never liked David Spade.

Police Academy 5: It's rather weird that they pulled a movie this good after one failure, it's my second most favourite in the serie.

Police Academy 6: A good movie. Could be much better.

Police Academy 7: Not bad but not too good either.

I have to apologize for the short "reviews" or the lack of sense in anything I've written, but I have to depart, my earthly body weeps for rest.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Feb 26th, 2006, 04:49

Awesome. You mentioned 'Signs' twice. :wink:
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Willis
New user

Post by Willis » Feb 26th, 2006, 07:37

My movie schedule has been way off lately due to moving.

After finishing re-watching all 4 seasons of Futurama, I got and watched Season 3 of The Pretender.

Was going to watch Sin City finally before I realized that it wasn't with the movies I had moved, so I at least finally watched Saw II. I liked the first much better, the second was a bit too predictable to me, but fun to watch just the same

All the rest of the movies on the to watch list remain... Shawshank is on deck for tomorrow night's home theater attraction.
--Willis

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Feb 26th, 2006, 11:35

Ðædalu§ Ðeathmask wrote:Awesome. You mentioned 'Signs' twice. :wink:
So I did "RoboCop 2". Had seen them twice between this time.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Feb 27th, 2006, 01:06

Shaun of the Dead - Really cool movie! Definitely not to be taken too seriously! :D
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

oBe
The Mad Scientist

Post by oBe » Feb 27th, 2006, 18:13

The Call Of Chtulhu: Man, oh man.

This is some great stuff this movie has going on here. Don't expect your classic hollywood production. This movie is from 2005 but it was made like in HP Lovecrafts time, the 1930ies.

This means: no dialogue, just those funny black panels with text, real 3D miniaturemodels for stages, props and stop motion creatures. In short, love and dedication.

Story is built up great and leaves the viewer with a dark, eerie feeling afterwards.

I will see this again shortly. I don't understand how I've could missed something like this for a year.
www.haywire.be

Hellen
Well Done

Post by Hellen » Feb 27th, 2006, 20:05

Hmm… I know there was another Chtulhu movie (a friend of mine has it). And it most certainly isn’t 2005.

oBe
The Mad Scientist

Post by oBe » Feb 27th, 2006, 20:21

I beg to differ.
http://www.cthulhulives.org/CoC/trailer.html

That's what I love about it. It's from 2005 but looks like it's from the 30ies.

There seem to be a few low or even non-budget Chtulhu movies out there; this one is the only one that looks real and finished though.
www.haywire.be

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Mar 1st, 2006, 00:55

Dawn of the Dead (2004 remake) - Wow. This was pretty bad. I'd say it catches about a 3 out of 10 on my scale.

Firstly, the zombies were pitiful. This is not Resident Evil. Okay, as much as I tried to cut the zombies running out of my mind, they continued to push until it was burnt into my brain. The zombies also growl far too much. I like my zombies groaning, not growling. The final nail in the zombies' coffin was the fact that these guys were pretty damn intelligent. These zombies seemed to have mastery over their bodies, an aversion to pain and even a knowledge of cause and effect.

I see it was also considered to be a good idea to remove any deeper meaning in the movie. I detected no metaphorical hints here. The movie even ends on a negative tone.

Hey, why not allow the undead to reproduce? Hah.. what whackjob thought that that was a clever addition? What next? Night of the Fornicating Dead? Absurd!

So, well done to George for ruining his empire he's so delicately forged over these many years. I can think of another George who's done the same.

All in all, another movie for the garbage bin; another film that's broken my faith in modern movie production. All Dawn of the Dead has is gore and not much more.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Mar 1st, 2006, 12:41

Ðædalu§ Ðeathmask wrote:So, well done to George for ruining his empire he's so delicately forged over these many years. I can think of another George who's done the same.
Maybe you'd like to see Land of the Dead before making claims like that. Oh, no wait... you don't want to see it...

Last Action Hero: Still, one of the best movies by Arnold, has a lot of nice homages to Terminator 2 and all the action and whatever you'd ever want from a movie with Arnold, a classic!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Mar 3rd, 2006, 23:28

The Fog (2005 Remake) - Okay, so I haven't seen the original, but this film was amazingly bad. It had bad acting, uninteresting characters, crappy graphics, next to zero plot and, just to sink this ship, it's bloody boring.

I think I mist the point of this movie. I haven't the foggyest idea why someone would make such garbage.

If your friend says; "Hey, let's watch The Fog!", give him a face full of fist!

Willis
New user

Post by Willis » Mar 3rd, 2006, 23:40

Shawshank Redemption never disappoints! :)

watching: 2001: A Space Travesty
yeah, its a really dumb movie, but somethings I just need that kind of humor I guess... though I remember it being much funnier when I saw it on TV ages ago, which is odd.

On Deck:
Evil Dead 1 & 2
As Bruce Campbell put it:
"Hollywood Classic: A movie 100,000 people see 10 times
Cult Classic: A move 10 people see 100,000 times" :)
--Willis

mouth
Lightly Broiled

Post by mouth » Mar 4th, 2006, 01:57

I'd very much like to see Troll, This Island Earth and The Incredible Melting Man.
Long live the new flesh!

oBe
The Mad Scientist

Post by oBe » Mar 4th, 2006, 05:18

Willis wrote:As Bruce Campbell put it:
"Hollywood Classic: A movie 100,000 people see 10 times
Cult Classic: A move 10 people see 100,000 times" :)
Bruce Cambell speaks truth.
www.haywire.be