The Issue on Angry Protagonists....

Discussion about music, movies and art in general.
Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

The Issue on Angry Protagonists....

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Jul 24th, 2012, 12:32

Have you ever noticed that protagonists in games these days are getting more and more angrier? What's up with that? For example I heard that Duke is more angrier in DNF, Max Payne is more angrier in part 3, Also in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Adam Jensen flips his shit (especially during his confrontation with Dr. Megan Reed near at the end of the game) unlike JC Denton in the other hand stays stoic in the entire game.

What's up with this recent trend? Well I also like to point out that even our own Caleb in Blood 2: The Chosen was less sadistic and more angrier in a few lines ("THAT'S RIGHT WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!" "you looked better BUT NOT THAT MUCH", "EVERYBODY DIES!" "Enough talk LETS FIGHT") which is now what bothers me about Blood 2: The Chosen (although I like imagine that game never existed and stick to the original game). Point is you don't make a protagonist more angrier which makes the character less likable but not only loud & obnoxious but also more terrifying and monstrous.

Of course I think this trend can be traced back to Kratos from the God of War games I guess and maybe even more so with Asura's Wrath.

Umnir
Half-homie

Re: The Issue on Angry Protagonists....

Post by Umnir » Jul 24th, 2012, 14:14

Reflection of society's frustration? Desire to mask childishness with artificial "cool" and grim, instead of really affecting emotions and making people think? Take a look at modern superhero movies: grown men in colorful tights, everything so supposedly grim, dark and rough, without realizing how stupid it would actually look.
LOL HI!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Jul 24th, 2012, 16:17

Hm, an interesting observation.

I think this may be partly due to technological advancement. Facial imaging software and such nowadays makes it much easier to bring about emotion visually in video games. This ties in with video games recently being a lot more 'cinematic' than those of twelve or so years ago; shitty contemporary developers believe that every game has to be some sort of convoluted Hollywood 'masterpiece', so we get exhaustive video sequences of characters communicating instead of actual gameplay. With human interaction and narratives there will obviously be anger, as anger's a powerful tool in itself and as part of the acting method.

Consider this - had "Blood 2" had access to today's technology, we'd very likely have (bad) cinematic sequences with Caleb being an angry individual. So I think this has to do with technological limitations of older games.

Coupled with what I've said above, and possibly linking into what Umnir postulates, video gaming itself has transformed heavily over the past ten years. Video games are now produced by corporations rather than hobbyists or fans, and this results, sadly, in creativity dwindling. Cliché upon cliché is churned out and creativity is stifled, hence we begin to see the lines blur between Hollywood trash and games. Already it is quite difficult to tell the two apart at times, as both have followed and borrowed from each other.

That's what I think, anyway.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Post by kurt » Jul 24th, 2012, 20:06

I agree with pretty much everything Matt said.

Modern games usually suck as much as all of those ridiculous blockbuster Hollywood movies. But can uninspired corporations really be to blame when these products make a great deal of money? Obviously there's a market for it as people apparently want to see things like a dark and brooding Batman as opposed to the humorous Batman of the 1960's. The same is true of video games, and anger equals drama and action, which is what people seem to want. The angrier a character is, the more interesting his cutscenes are. And today's technology does allow for some very interesting things such as real facial expressions.

I played through some of LA NOIRE awhile ago, as I was curious about it, and I also enjoy the time period in which the game was set. But the protagonist was one of the most annoying characters I had ever experienced in a game. He was a serious and humorless character, that yelled in anger at every character he interviewed. As impressive as the facial animations were, by around the 6th interview I grew tired of seeing Cole Phelps face burst into rage while screaming "You're lying!" He would fly off the handle and yell at everyone. So I abandoned the game and retired Cole Phelps from active duty.

But people apparently prefer flashy blockbusters as opposed to well written low budget stories. They want explosions, fistfights, and characters yelling in anger, as opposed to characters calmly talking to each other. Have you ever watched a slow movie with little action and lots of talking? The story could be interesting and expertly written but if you visit IMDB afterwards, most of the opinions will say "Booooring" or "Worst movie ever". The ADD kids can't sit still unless there's constant action and people yelling. They dictate what the corporations spit out to the masses, and if blockbuster garbage sells, then you'll receive enough to fill a dump.

Whatever happened to adventure games? They had interesting characters and interesting stories. But it was far too difficult for those ADD kids, so the adventure games are now obsolete, and Max Payne is angrier then ever!
Spoiler: show

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Jul 24th, 2012, 21:09

kurt wrote:Whatever happened to adventure games? They had interesting characters and interesting stories. But it was far too difficult for those ADD kids, so the adventure games are now obsolete, and Max Payne is angrier then ever!
Spoiler: show
Well last time I heard, Adventure games are still going strong in indie games but not in the mainstream grounds anymore which is such a shame since the general populace rather prefers Large Hams at every aspects (big explosions, big men yelling and screaming,etc) than actual storytelling.

I see Max Payne is going on a rampage again and someone needs to stop him before he makes someone walk with a limp....

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jul 24th, 2012, 23:01

kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Post by kurt » Jul 25th, 2012, 00:25

Wow, brand new adventure games that I've never heard of before! They even have positive reviews!

They look like they came from 1996, but I'd be willing to go back in time for awhile to try them out.

I can't resist a good cyberpunk atmosphere, and an intelligent story that will leave you thinking...

Drakan
Well Done

Post by Drakan » Jul 26th, 2012, 14:45

Do you guys think these games might be worth doing a youtube Let's Play "blind"? I'd like to explore this genre and maybe share it with people who'd like to watch it.
Life is a privilege...Death is a promise...