Your favorite movie music

Discussion about music, movies and art in general.
Umnir
Half-homie

Re: Your favorite movie music

Post by Umnir » Feb 11th, 2011, 16:30

I mentioned about Ghost Dog in the last movie you watched, so Im not going to repeat the same old. The soundtrack for movie is composed by RZA (who also later made soundtrack for afro samurai IIRC, wich in my opinion was horrible). Funny that is, that both movies combine black person and samurai theme. Only thing is, that in Ghost Dog it's made so that it doesn't offend the intelligence of humankind, leaving out horrible stereotypes and cliches. That being said, this soundtrack might sound rather depressing at first glance, but works really well in the end.

A bit more "agressive" tune. Olsdchool. :)
LOL HI!

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Feb 12th, 2011, 23:17

I don't know if there's much to explain or say since most of you have propably seen the movie already. Needless to say, they don't even bother to make soundtracks like this for action movies anymore.

Same here. I mean, why the fuck is it so difficult for people who get PAID to do their job, to be creational? Afraid of being thanked for their job? Glory or nothing, for fuck sakes!
LOL HI!

Callum Sanderson
New user

Post by Callum Sanderson » Mar 16th, 2011, 17:03

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Mar 25th, 2011, 15:29

@Callum Sanderson

You should at least post some kind of description why you like those songs in particular, we don't want these threads to end up as YouTube link hell.

Metroid47
Pink on the Inside

Post by Metroid47 » Jun 15th, 2011, 20:02

I love the idea behind this thread so I thought I'd try to revive it, actually providing explanations, unlike some others :D I have many favourites, but I don't not want to make this post too long, so I only chose 3 for now:

- Theme from A Fistful of Dynamite (a.k.a. Duck, You Sucker! a.k.a. Giú la testa) (1971) by Ennio Morricone.
Ennio Morricone, one of my favourite film composers by far. I love almost all his movie scores, but perhaps my favourite is his work on spaghetti westerns with Sergio Leone. As good as those films are, I sometimes think they wouldn't be half as good without Morricone's music to accompany them. This piece, from A Fistful of Dynamite is one of his best I think. It is used as a recurring musical motif throughout the movie, mainly in sections of a flashback, eventually revealing a shocking key moment of the film, and every time I hear it, I picture that scene. But even as a standalone track, its still great: the piano melody, the violins, the operatic vocals - just incredible really.

- Theme from Lifeforce (1985) by Henry Mancini
Having never actually seen the film, I first heard this a while back on one of the trailers for Runaway Train (also released in 1985). It's an amazing, powerful piece. It makes me really want to watch Lifeforce sometime, to find out if it really suits the story and events of the movie. Also, it clearly inspired Sam Spence for the NFL Films tune, "The Equaliser", not to mention Michael Hoenig, when he was composing the track "Attacked by Assassins" for Baldur's Gate 1, both of which are very, very similar.

- Opening Titles from Prince of Darkness (1987) by John Carpenter
I absolutely love John Carpenter, both as a director and a composer. Prince of Darkness is a completely underrated horror film in my opinion (critically abused at the time, under appreciated today), although it probably would not have a spot in a list of my top 5 of his films, but is still great nonetheless. The music here really sets up the dark premise and mood for the entire film, and you almost feel the sense of impending doom.

Up for some BloodBath action, via DOSBox? If so, send me a P.M.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Oct 26th, 2011, 16:01

From Eraserhead. Simple song really, but works nicely with the absurdity and surrealism of Lynch. I think I wouldn't be so convinced of heaven if I was in such situation. :D
LOL HI!

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Oct 27th, 2011, 01:09

Metroid47 wrote:I absolutely love John Carpenter, both as a director and a composer.
You're not the only one.

No comment.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Mar 23rd, 2013, 01:03

:,)
LOL HI!

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Mar 24th, 2013, 11:51

I was watching a bunch of Emanuelle Nera movies recently. Forgot how groovy the Nico Fidenco soundtracks are, should continue plowing through the movies soon.