Your favorite movie music

Discussion about music, movies and art in general.
Umnir
Half-homie

Your favorite movie music

Post by Umnir » Dec 30th, 2010, 21:37

I thought that since we have favorite game music thread going, it would be shame to not spread the masterpieces of cinema. Here's some for starters:

Joe Hisaishi is perhaps better known for Miyazaki fans, wether it's conscious knowledge or not. He did quite a bit collaboration with Takeshi Kitano.
I think that this piece combines moods in fantastic way. In other hand it's intense (somehow reminds me of sweaty hot city) and in other hand melancholic. Movie is about gangsters, and partially very brutal and unforgiving, but Kitano always likes to add his deviant humor (that hits me 100%) and heartful relationship between friends.

Kitano - like many far eastern drama directors it seems - likes to play with moods and long silent shots. I think this one of Hisaishis most beautiful pieces. The movie tells about cop who's wife is mortally ill, and who wants to give her wife the best time that he can arrange for the little time they have together.
LOL HI!

Umnir
Half-homie

Re: Your favorite movie music

Post by Umnir » Dec 30th, 2010, 21:44

Angelo Badalamenti and David Lynch are also two artists who have worked together often. Angelo has habit of using warm and "old sounding" synths pretty boldly, but succeeding very well. Mulholland dr. is one of the most intensively atmosphered movies in my favorites and surely part of it is thanks to the soundtrack.
LOL HI!

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » Dec 31st, 2010, 02:30

I really like The Fifth Element OST, it has a lot of funky/groove elements recognized from the late 80's/early 90's, but mixed in a style suitable for a futuristic sci-fi film, and it sure has hell fits this movie almost perfectly. The flow and pacing of the tracks fit in right at home with their scenes, charging up something exciting under way.

The Fifth Element - Korben Dallas track:

The Fifth Element - Timecrash track (pretty gripping):

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Dec 31st, 2010, 02:40

Blade Runner, Taxi Driver and Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings work would rate amongst my favourites.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Dec 31st, 2010, 07:37

When I heard that Sin City movie was being made, I shat bricks. Movie was a delightfully good and faithfully made. I think the soundtrack also hit the head! Noiry, smoky, kind of music that plays when you enter steampunk pub/bordell.
LOL HI!

Shadowman
The Posty Baby

Post by Shadowman » Dec 31st, 2010, 08:03

Now this, here, is a topic I can get behind.

I tend to listen to a lot of this stuff.

I suppose I'll start out with a recent find: the music from Sunshine.
I haven't actually seen the film, but I hear it's nothing to write home about. Besides, the music is all I need.
Er, a bit of a warning: This song will make your ears freak out. Balance switches from left to right very quickly in a sort of pulse throughout a good bit of the song. Try without headphones first.

A Beautiful Mind is another film regarded for its soundtrack, and I've actually been trying to see this movie for a looong time. Haven't had the chance.
No worries on this one. No ear rape here.

Big Fish is a beautiful movie with a beautiful sound track. The movie in itself is the only one which, to my knowledge, can make me cry every single time. As a film, it is Tim Burton's best work, and as a soundtrack, it is Danny Elfman's best as well.
Here's a bit of an overture, encompassing the main themes of the film.
Achievement Unlocked: <3*
(Since returned to Daedalus.)
Achievement Unlocked: Kickass Chaos Avatar by Ella.

Achievement Unlocked: Best Insult Ever

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Dec 31st, 2010, 08:11

I liked sunshine. It's certainly a bit simple, but way above average "sci-fi" movies that they spill out these days. I didn't like some of the things they did for the movie towards the end, but I liked the somewhat desperate mood of the film. I'd say check it out.
LOL HI!

Shadowman
The Posty Baby

Post by Shadowman » Dec 31st, 2010, 17:00

Alright, will do then.
Achievement Unlocked: <3*
(Since returned to Daedalus.)
Achievement Unlocked: Kickass Chaos Avatar by Ella.

Achievement Unlocked: Best Insult Ever

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Jan 1st, 2011, 02:42

I actually like when films use synthesizers (and other instruments) than orchestras...well especially horror titles.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jan 21st, 2011, 23:35

I can't believe I've forgotten to note this:

One of the greatest films ever made, including the soundtrack.
And seems so underrated to me, or maybe I just have gotten the idea like so. Beautiful.
LOL HI!

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Jan 22nd, 2011, 00:27

^ Seconded. That piece always gets me a bit teary-eyed.

I'm starting to get into Ryuichi Sakamoto. He composed the music for two movies, one live action (The Last Emperor) and one animated (The Wings of Honneamise).

Ryuichi Sakamoto - The Wings of Honneamise

"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jan 22nd, 2011, 08:27

Actually I don't know why I didn't yet post in here, but after seeing TRON: Legacy, I couldn't help but get (download) the soundtrack. I thoroughly enjoy the whole soundtrack and as Last.fm says I have over 300 listens on it the past 7 days. I ordered the actual CD after the first play-trough and now I'm a happy customer.

Now I never really liked Daft Punk's earlier works, but this is something completely different from them and it totally threw them in as one of my favourite composers.

Here's a few notable tracks, some of these have some weird distortion (also YT quality, woohoo) like the first track here, which is not audible in the actual CD.

Solar Sailer

Son of Flynn

Disc Wars

Tron Legacy (End Titles)
Spoiler: show
I don't know if that's a common way of typing the ending song, but I say that looks pretty damn similar to "Blade Runner (End Titles)". I haven't seen this type of spelling of a song title anywhere else before and after Blade Runner until now.
Apparently I'm a huge fan of orchestral music done in an electronic way (synthesizers instead of violins, etc), but the problem is I can't find more music like this that well. If anyone can name something similar, please let me know!

Actually here are two heavier tracks for a bonus!

The Game Has Changed

C.L.U.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jan 22nd, 2011, 11:41

Panoptic Blur wrote: Ryuichi Sakamoto
Ryuichi "yellow magic orchestra" Sakamoto. <3
That was quite enjoyable!

Interesting to hear something alternative from Daft Punk, as I've never been their fan. It sounds nice.
Isn't it funny, how creative people could be if they didn't have so much commercial pressure? What I mean is that they can step out of their box when they do soundtrack, but I wouldn't expect anything like that from their normal productions.
LOL HI!

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Jan 22nd, 2011, 11:48

I've mentioned before that I love good walz.
It's very effective for sad and dramatic movies.
LOL HI!

Mateos
New user

Post by Mateos » Jan 22nd, 2011, 21:18

Adapted from Led Zeppelin's Kashmir, soundtrack of the Godzilla movie.