Horror Paperback Covers From The Past

Discussion about music, movies and art in general.
morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Horror Paperback Covers From The Past

Post by morhlis » Dec 9th, 2010, 04:07

A statistic recently overheard: By 2020 80% of written work will be published as ebooks. Now, look above. How sad.
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

Drakan
Well Done

Re: Horror Paperback Covers From The Past

Post by Drakan » Dec 12th, 2010, 06:36

So what happens if they get e-published? Do they lose thier covers?

Doesn't matter... I've always preffered the old fashioned way of reading a book. As a fucking book of course! Not to mention that some books I've read over the years have had some very enticing artwork. Everytime I see an iPad or iPhone advertising itself as the new way of reading a book, I just shake my head. I mean, why? To save paper? Grow some fucking Hemp and make THAT into a book! It's a renewable resource as it is so why not? Or maybe it's just an excuse for people to say they read books... I don't know, I just know the concept looks laughable.

This smells like the likeliness of iTunes killing the concept of a full on album. Why bother purchasing it when you can just grab the hit song and leave it at that? At least that's why I respect Vinyls and Cassette tapes from back in the day. All that space for an album had to be used, so at least the artist getting thier work published had to think carefully and with creativity about what went onto such albums. Nowadays on CDs it's just the hit song and the rest is garbage.

Eh, I know that tangent was kind of off topic, but I feel botrh of those paragraphs are examples of how going digitial like this is killing in this generation what made things like books or Vinyls so special.

Damn. :(
Life is a privilege...Death is a promise...

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Dec 15th, 2010, 13:57

I can't do anything but agree with you. Unfortunately I've had this conversation with others and it always seems to devolve into someone calling me a Luddite. Its as if they don't realize I love my pc, laptop, Wii, DS, cellphone, etc. The real problem with humanity is its inability for restraint. For the majority of people its all or nothing. Thats why American politics have become so vitriolic. The men in power have turned what used to be simple differences in economic policy into differences between moral and immoral. But I digress.

What I'm trying to say is that we can embrace technology without being engulfed by it. It's the same story we've been hearing since Mary Shelley sat down to pen her Modern Prometheus. Science is a tool for infinite progress and good. But we can easily fall into a trap of indolence. Pop musicians make music aimed at the lowest common denominator, not caring at all about album art, and, as you so correctly stated Drakan, not caring about the rest of the songs on the album. I can see a time soon when artists are going to release three songs a year. But these songs will be audience tested, put under a microscope, and dissected until they get the most bang for their buck. Its pure consumerism.

And consumerism is the reason why books, music, and visual entertainment are going straight down the shit shoot. The publishing companies are licking their chops. They can't wait until that no longer have to produce actual books, pay artists to render the cover art, write blurbs for the author. In other words, they can't wait until they can sit back and collect millions of dollars for the least possible effort. All the while, the publishing giants are losing their grip to companies like google who care only about content and nothing about presentation. We are sacrificing something of ourselves when we go down the "content only" path.

We need physical books, and real album covers, and dvd cases. They all give us a link to the product that we wouldn't have otherwise. It creates a context for the content outside of itself. I dunno...maybe I'm a bit too attached. I am a bibliophile. Still, I think the issues in this case point to deeper problems as a species.

Drakan
Well Done

Post by Drakan » Dec 16th, 2010, 02:25

"A deeper problem..."

Well it does essentially when you think about it. Like you say, it's all about amassing as much currency with almost no effort, and the consumers are heading down the same path of amassing as much said content on the convenience of a mass storage device such as hard drives or iPads for as little money spent as possible - assuming they're not using bittorrent or the likes.

And I feel you are all too correct in believing that this is the start of something wrong with us as a species. Much of this could possibly have been woven by our puppet masters upstairs along with many other methods. And even if not so, we're in deep trouble either way.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Dec 16th, 2010, 23:41

That Jackal's sexual frustration really got the better of him! xD

Your monologue captivates me Morhlis, however I am not in the cognitive mood to conduct a reply at this moment. So a nefarious one liner and a tip of my brow for now!
It is better to light a candle then to curse the darkness...

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Dec 25th, 2010, 17:15

I got a USB Vinyl Record Player for Christmas. This should tell you how committed I am to the ideal haha

Meeting of the old and new - Man these records sound so good - warm, crisp, even mixed differently than their cd counter parts - ahhhhh so good so good

Drakan
Well Done

Post by Drakan » Dec 26th, 2010, 02:49

I love that crackling sound they make too. I was listening to one of my dad's mix tapes and my ears spotted that sound with joy on one of the tracks! It was a Jimmy Hendrix song if I recall.