Your Favorite Arcane Tomes

Discussion about music, movies and art in general.
morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Your Favorite Arcane Tomes

Post by morhlis » May 19th, 2010, 13:48

I'm sure my fellow Bloodites read for fun. I'm sure of this because you are all intelligent...I didn't say completely sane, I just said intelligent! So I want to know what books you are reading, what books you have read, and/or which books are your favorites.

Currently I am reading this: http://www.amazon.com/Lovecraft-Unbound-Ellen-Datlow/ - It's living up to its four star rating so far!
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Re: Your Favorite Arcane Tomes

Post by Daedalus » May 19th, 2010, 13:59

A pleasant bit of intuition, but I'm afraid the board is largely comprised of illiterate clowns.

The older book thread was getting a bit stale, though, so I don't see why a new one is out of the question. Anyway, I'll get back to this one in a bit.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Hellen
Well Done

Post by Hellen » May 19th, 2010, 14:10

Metro 2033.

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » May 19th, 2010, 14:15

Hellen wrote:Metro 2033.
Looking this up right now....

Also if anyone has an Amazon wish list or something of the sort I want to see it...trying to make myself a larger list of things to read.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 19th, 2010, 14:44

Im lazy reader. Im still working on the SAS survival book.
Latest of read books:

- Miyamoto Musashi: Earth, water, fire, wind and emptiness (I believe the english translation is five rings.. I think). It's written by arguably the best warrior that ever lived. This guy ambushed people in trees, jumpind down and killing them with dual swords! Eventually when he reached the überlevel, he abandoned bladed weapons and used bokken only (wooden practice sword) and continued defeating his enemies and never losing. He usually killed his opponent with one strike to the temple located in head.

- Yamamoto Tsunetomo - Hagakure: Samurai and buddhist monk and his stories of japanese samurais, their lifestyle and what it is to be one. Very lively stories and wishdom.

Want to read:

Sunzi - Art of war.. too frigging expensive here. :/
LOL HI!

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » May 19th, 2010, 22:14

I believe that Umnir has a fetish for Asian fighting culture. But then I have a fetish for Early to Mid 20th century horror fiction. Its all a wash!

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 21st, 2010, 12:46

morhlis wrote:I believe that Umnir has a fetish for Asian fighting culture.
I guess so. :p Haven't gotten any asian influenced weapons though, most propably due the fact that there is nothing as washed out as katana wielding gringo.
LOL HI!

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » May 22nd, 2010, 00:23

Hehe - Well I tend to agree with you there. The only thing that might be considered worse would be someone caught on tape flailing them around in some sort of sword dance... ugh

Lukas
New user

Post by Lukas » Jun 23rd, 2010, 21:16

I am currently reading How to Be a Villain: Evil Laughs, Secret Lairs, Master Plans and More!!! - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846 - the book based on this website (http://evil-guide.tripod.com/) and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Jun 25th, 2010, 20:13

Lukas wrote:I am currently reading How to Be a Villain: Evil Laughs, Secret Lairs, Master Plans and More!!! - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846 - the book based on this website (http://evil-guide.tripod.com/) and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
:shock: This has just been added to my wishlist!

I just finished these two books:

Pulp by Charles Bukowski

and

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

- Both quick reads and both very interesting. Modern lit always reads like pop psych to me.

Lukas
New user

Post by Lukas » Jun 30th, 2010, 14:36

I don't know if it counts because I'm not actually reading it - but I have most (if not all) of H. P. Lovecraft's stories in audiobook format, so I'm listening to it.

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Nov 30th, 2010, 03:28

Three acquisitions from the bookstore today - took an hour and a half of searching but I think I pulled the best from their dusty shelves...the place is run by two batty old women and doesn't look like it gets much in the way of house keeping.

I found this weird little gem buried in the literature section for some reason. It was worth it for the cover alone!~ But it looks like its full of true stories of terrible going on at sea.

I have a few authors I really like when it comes to horror and Ramsey Campbell is one of them. But I only buy the short story collections. They had one! And look at this ridiculously creepy pruppet on the cover! Get away from the marinara kid!

This is the best find of the day. Not only does it have a stenciled Christopher Lee embossed on the cover but its an awesome idea for a book. Its a collection of horror stories that have been made into movies, going all the way back to 1896 :o!

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Nov 30th, 2010, 03:58

Umnir wrote:Sunzi - Art of war.. too frigging expensive here. :/
There are free online translations of it. Here's one: http://www.chinapage.com/sunzi-e.html

It even has the original Chinese characters as well as the English translation, if you're able to read that.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Nov 30th, 2010, 05:50

Okay, I seriously want that bobblehead...
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Nov 30th, 2010, 06:36

PriestOfTheBeast wrote:
Umnir wrote:Sunzi - Art of war.. too frigging expensive here. :/
There are free online translations of it. Here's one: http://www.chinapage.com/sunzi-e.html

It even has the original Chinese characters as well as the English translation, if you're able to read that.
Allready got it. And guess what? After buying it, there came five copies discounted for 50%.
Welcome to Finland!
LOL HI!