Call of Cthulu D&D...Also, a doodle...

Discussion about music, movies and art in general.
morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Call of Cthulu D&D...Also, a doodle...

Post by morhlis » May 18th, 2010, 06:25

So a friend of mine has asked me to play Call of Cthulu which is an off shoot of D&D. I have never, ever, played D&D. I know that dice are involved and I have to create a character. But my knowledge of RPGs is limited to PC based games. So has anyone ever played D&D? What should I expect? Is it lame? Etc. I will probably play no matter what because she's been begging me to, and I do so enjoy my Lovecraft. But I just wanted some input.

Also, a doodle....please ignore the crappy pitchfork and substandard hat...

Last edited by morhlis on May 27th, 2010, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Re: Call of Cthulu D&D...Also, a doodle...

Post by Daedalus » May 18th, 2010, 11:10

My reply will be biased and not completely what you're after.

I'm bound to a love for D&D. When I was young, an older brother dabbled in it and he and a couple of friends would gather for sessions to play it. I couldn't join in, as I was too young and it was regarded as far too complicated for me, which was only partially true, but looking back, I can see why it would spoil their experience for me to have joined in. Thus it gained a mystical property for me, as it was a forbidden and intriguing game, so I spent many hours reading the compendiums, my particular favourite being the monster manual, of course, and while I spent many hours perusing over many a tome of forgotten and forbidden lore, it would never be something I had the chance to put to practice.

The game is very enjoyable if one has an imagination and the DM is not a jerk, or too unskilled. D&D gets a nasty nerdy reputation because it's a very old fantasy practice, but I don't see it as being geekish and I think that many who regard it as such would even enjoy it if they put their minds to it for a moment.

You'll only need some strangely shaped dice, a pencil and paper. I don't know much about this Call of Cthulhu application, but it should be interesting.

In closing, let it be said that I am only a forever-young fan of 2nd Edition and in no way endorse any modern incarnations!

Nice drawing, by the way! Quite a bit better than anything I've put out there.

P.S. If you've ever played any of the older Bioware games in full-detailed, turn-based combat mode, or have taken the time to fully understand the combat system in real-time play, you'll have a very good idea as to the mechanics of D&D.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 18th, 2010, 14:26

Be careful with those dice, they make you worship satan.
LOL HI!

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » May 18th, 2010, 14:27

It's not the dice... it's the paper!

The paper is made out of tree which have been brutally mauled and chopped by satan worshippers who want to destroy life!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 18th, 2010, 14:34

Umnir wrote:Be careful with those dice, they make you worship satan.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 18th, 2010, 15:00

LOL HI!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 18th, 2010, 15:21

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » May 18th, 2010, 15:36

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » May 18th, 2010, 15:40

Daedalus wrote:Image
:trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface: :trollface:

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » May 18th, 2010, 15:45

Neck beards, troll faces, and Fffffuck yeahs, oh my.
Daedalus wrote:
The game is very enjoyable if one has an imagination and the DM is not a jerk, or too unskilled. D&D gets a nasty nerdy reputation because it's a very old fantasy practice, but I don't see it as being geekish and I think that many who regard it as such would even enjoy it if they put their minds to it for a moment.
Well my friend has been collecting books and running games for years. Granted I don't know if that makes her any good but I hope so. I like to think that I have an imagination that would readily compliment the setting. I'm looking forward to the roleplaying experience. Also, I think there will be one other person there, so it won't just be me playing alone. I'm trying to figure out what my character is going to be. I've been re-reading some Lovecraft in preparation. I think I might be a college professor with a personality disorder...
Daedalus wrote:
Nice drawing, by the way! Quite a bit better than anything I've put out there.
Thank you!

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » May 18th, 2010, 15:45

Good going, ya buncha clowns.

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » May 18th, 2010, 15:57

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 18th, 2010, 16:48

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » May 18th, 2010, 16:56

LOL HI!

ilikemyhandsbloody
Lightly Broiled

Post by ilikemyhandsbloody » May 18th, 2010, 17:16

if ya screw widda bull ya git da horn...
http://www.youtube.com/bloodmapedit