Lubok Beastiary

Discussion about music, movies and art in general.
Hellen
Well Done

Lubok Beastiary

Post by Hellen » Oct 23rd, 2008, 20:23

Lubok.
You can read wikipedia article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubok
In short, it's a form of Russian folk art. A picture, depicting a character or event, be it historical or fictional, provided by a short description(sometimes in verse).

So one day I decided to draw Blood monsters using this kind of art, "Lubok beastiary of Blood".
Mine may seem not so authentic, but I'm still searching for the "style". It turned out it's a lot harder to mimic this simplistic art, than to draw in my usual realistic manner.
Well, so far I can introduce you a gargoyle(of course!) and a gillbeast.
And please, don't be too harsh on this little experiment of mine.
Text is written in old Cyrillic font and with an attempt to recreate old Russian spelling. I hope that Daedolon would let it through. Really there're no hidden messages or something like that (if he wishes, I can type the text). Literal translation follows.

GARGOYLE

"I'm a two-winged gargoyle
I have pig's nose
I fly in the sky and throw bones
But I'm avoiding water
Since it kills me instantly.

When I'm very tired
I turn into stone.

The Gargoyle tsar is ugly
But very arrogant
He sits high on his throne
But Caleb's sawed-off is waitng for him"

GILL BEAST

"And here's a wonderful creature
From Petersburg's Kunstkamera*
Grown in a labaratory
Caught in the Neva river
And put to a cage
Nor a beast not a bird
Hides under the log
Also walks on the dry land
If someone swims by
He eats them.

And this bone eel
Is good for fish soup".

*first Russian museum, founded by Peter the Great, dedicated to natural curiosities

That's all for know, thank you for reading.

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Oct 23rd, 2008, 20:39

Oh joy! It's like the drawings of old about demons, werewolwes and such beasts. I have readed demonology and the art in the books are very similar to this tyle and I love it. I wholeheartedly support you to continue with this style!

I once in fact thinked about doing the old style demonolgy styled art but never got into it, maybe I should try it out if you don't mind hehe. My style of drawing could work since I do b/w ink drawing. Have you seen the drawing thread I made once? You can see it here

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » Oct 23rd, 2008, 20:52

Ah! This is interesting, i remember once reading up on Lubok in the college library, and the concept is simple, yet understood in ways of upbringing certain creative techniques in today’s developing methods, story boards, general comic and illustrations (comic mentioned in the Wikipedia article), i find it inspires me to a level in my own creativity.

Your works are really well done, i especially like the gargoyle piece, the way you described its placement as a 'throne' is great, i never really considered it as such in Blood. I like it a lot, would be great to see more.

RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Post by RedFanatic » Oct 25th, 2008, 04:18

I love things like this, the old Ultima games often had such beastiary's.
Fantastic idea if you complete it it has to be complied and linked to the main Postmortem index.
[color=red]Infuscomus Cruo Lokemundux[/color]

http://bpf.deathmask.net/
[img]http://bpf.deathmask.net/banner.gif[/img]

Hellen
Well Done

Post by Hellen » Oct 25th, 2008, 08:31

Thanks, Mr. Red! But I don't think Postmortem authorities consider it worthy.

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » Oct 25th, 2008, 13:19

Those are really nice :shock: *right-click saves*

It's drawn so simply but it looks so nice.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Oct 25th, 2008, 14:42

Not at all, Hellen. I just take longer to post in some threads as it demands a lot of mana.

These are really a lovely treat. So simple and yet effective. You should do a great deal and print them in a tiny book. Then if you burnt the book a bit and left it outside, people may discover it in a hundred years and think it was real and from the ancient world. ;)

Now come, Hellen. You and me, gurl. Bones and shenanigans, bones and shenanigans, bones and shenanigans -- oon da boon, dance of the dead!
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Apr 16th, 2009, 14:24

More!
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Post by wangho » Apr 16th, 2009, 19:53

I guess Satan and demons are ok. After all, alot of world leaders seem to be into it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85LdINmZyT0

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Apr 17th, 2009, 01:18

wangho wrote:I guess Satan and demons are ok. After all, alot of world leaders seem to be into it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85LdINmZyT0
Wangho, it looks like your fooling yourself with these conspiracy theories spouted by right wing libertarian populists like Alex Jones.
Last edited by Blood of Nightmares on Apr 17th, 2009, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Apr 17th, 2009, 01:20

It looks like someone here is asking for a spanking. You are offtopic.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Apr 17th, 2009, 01:42

Dimebog wrote:It looks like someone here is asking for a spanking. You are offtopic.
Sorry if I jumped off topic about that but I just find conspiracy theories to be a swirling collection of speculations rather than facts.

wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Post by wangho » Apr 17th, 2009, 02:23

the world isn't all ponies and lollipops, BON

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Apr 17th, 2009, 02:47

wangho wrote:the world isn't all ponies and lollipops, BON
I know that but I see the problem in this world in a totally different way than you do. The problem in this world I see is called capitalism where it's a unfair broken corrupt system based on exploitation of the working classes so the ruling classes can gain even more wealth from that. Perhaps it's all ponies and lollipops for the ruling classes not for the working people like us ("One person's heaven is another person's hell" is the best way I can describe capitalism).

Perhaps you should read Democracy for the Few by Michael Parenti and An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution of the United States by Charles Beard to have a better understanding what's really going on in US politics especially the nature of capitalism itself.
Last edited by Blood of Nightmares on Apr 17th, 2009, 03:01, edited 2 times in total.

Shadowman
The Posty Baby

Post by Shadowman » Apr 17th, 2009, 02:57

Stick to the damn topic.

Got any more for us, Hellen? I like this style.
Achievement Unlocked: <3*
(Since returned to Daedalus.)
Achievement Unlocked: Kickass Chaos Avatar by Ella.

Achievement Unlocked: Best Insult Ever