More Spam

Discussion about your definitive Blood site.
Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

More Spam

Post by Daedolon » Jan 15th, 2011, 19:06

There seems to be a huge influx of spam "bots" coming from all directions. I'm not sure what's this current trend about, but the emails they seem to be using are not automatically generated, which is unusual for spam bots. Which is why I'm thinking a number of them must be manually created. Apparently someone has something against us... again. Few of these came from such free-to-register emails as mail.ru and aol.com.

I'm not sure if we'll need an extra pair (or two) of hands to help with the moderation. I wasn't planning it yet, but the time might come sooner than later. Either way, please report spam threads and posts as you see anything weird come up.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Re: More Spam

Post by Daedolon » Jan 15th, 2011, 20:13

One more fucking bot and I'm closing down the registration.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jan 15th, 2011, 23:06

That's it. No more new users.

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Jan 15th, 2011, 23:19

Daedolon wrote:That's it. No more new users.
I hope this is temporary until you come up with a different solution. Since there's no need to risk the growth of this community.

kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Post by kurt » Jan 16th, 2011, 00:51

It's pretty sad that such destructive and pathetic fools exist. The Blood community is on life support and these mentally ill lunatics want to destroy it completely for whatever reason. It makes the thread for ideas to bring in new members rather pointless, with idiots like this in the community.

From what I understand, the same situation is also happening at the Transfusion forums. These are not automated bots but actual persons. Which leads me to believe that these are attacks against the Blood community rather then attacks against the Postmortem. Can these "bots" be somehow traced to determine whether its a single individual? Maybe people could apply directly to you for membership as a temporary solution, instead of disallowing any new users at all. Closing down the registration completely is more damaging to this community then any annoyance that may be caused by idiotic aspiring spambots. It also gives these destructive assholes the satisfaction of succeeding in their mission of destruction.

If you need a hand, I've got my napalm launcher armed.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jan 16th, 2011, 00:55

I'm gonna take a look at fixing this problem after I get a good night's rest.

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Jan 16th, 2011, 01:03

If Kurt's hypothesis is correct then it's most likely Corbin, zZardoZz, Fiend, Joe (I Live Again) are the main suspects.

kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Post by kurt » Jan 16th, 2011, 01:07

You don't have any evidence to support those accusations BoN, so keep it to yourself. We don't need any more wars.

Have a good rest J.

Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Jan 16th, 2011, 02:50

I think the better solution is to have the administrator to review peoples accounts before they join.

MoonStalkeR
Lightly Broiled

Post by MoonStalkeR » Jan 16th, 2011, 03:08

Is the Blood question still enabled in the registration
<Boilerplate> Thing is MoonStalkeR: You seem to be suffering from schizphernia, which the MoonStalkeR personality is your base one, Mobius is the aggressive personality, Krypto is the depressive personality, Nautalus is the pervert personality, etc

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jan 16th, 2011, 06:01

MoonStalkeR wrote:Is the Blood question still enabled in the registration
No that was gone in the software update. Plus it would not keep manual spam away. I'm gonna put up something similar back in, though.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jan 16th, 2011, 18:44

So I just had that admin accept thing on for awhile, and they just kept coming, it's the same amount of work.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Jan 17th, 2011, 09:47

Daedolon wrote:I'm gonna put up something similar back in, though.
"Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about... Blood."

It is strange to think that a community so small can derive such negative attention, but we've seen in the past, time and again, that those who were previously in the Blood community (when it existed beyond these borders) were made up of some special individuals.

I can't think of a single motivating force, except perhaps jealousy, which would drive such individuals. Anyway, best not to attempt to analyse insanity.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Jan 17th, 2011, 14:48

Daedalus wrote:"Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about... Blood."
I just realized that Leon's response (shooting Holden twice) would be perfectly reasonable if he'd asked that question instead.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jan 17th, 2011, 22:28

Maybe we can combine that with Flying Circus?

1: Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about Blood.
2: Blood?
1: Yeah.
2: Let me tell you about Blood. *SPAM!* *SPAM!* (cue the ending of the Spam song).