What do you think of Blood II? And why so?

Discussion about Blood II and its addons.

What is your opinion of Blood 2?

Great!
7%
Pretty good
30%
Average
37%
Pretty bad
13%
Terrible
13%

Total votes: 60

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Re: What do you think of Blood II? And why so?

Post by Daedolon » Sep 10th, 2010, 13:10

PriestOfTheBeast wrote:When I read the blurbs for Blood2, they mentioned a magic system.
They made one but removed it (and a dozen of other features) prior to release.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Oct 11th, 2010, 18:23

The singleplayer experience of Blood2 was just average for me. Taken in context with how great Blood1 was, I was very disappointed, but looking at it on its own merits, it's actually a decent standalone game in its own right.

I'm much more interested in the modding. It seems like we have the Blood2 source code tools, and so we could make much more profound changes and tweaks to the gameplay. For me, the modding scene and playing other fans' work has always been a big part of PC gaming, so this is definitely a major strength of the game.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Oct 11th, 2010, 22:30

PriestOfTheBeast wrote:I'm much more interested in the modding. It seems like we have the Blood2 source code tools, and so we could make much more profound changes and tweaks to the gameplay. For me, the modding scene and playing other fans' work has always been a big part of PC gaming, so this is definitely a major strength of the game.
You heard about Kurt's mod ? Blood 2 Resurrection ?

If not you should look into it, it doesn't bring a change in Blood 2's gameplay as far as I recall but it adds the beloved stuff from Blood 1 most people missed in the sequel. Kurt moved to another 3D engine though because it seems Lith engine has too much limitations and glitches (afaik).
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » Oct 25th, 2010, 17:47

The engine sucked first of all. Weapons didn't work right, enemies acted stupidly, graphics messing up, etc. The level design was ok, I suppose. But essentially I think Blood is rooted in a Cthulian world of dark undertones and earthy locales. Blood 2 tried to be too urban. It tried to be every other game in the late 90s/early 2000s. Also...oh wait...didn't I post in this thread before??

* feigns amnesia*
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

Callum Sanderson
New user

Post by Callum Sanderson » Mar 11th, 2011, 01:26

Engine felt unfinished, lots of bugs, and the fact the other characters don't have cutscenes.
I thought some places Caleb's character was brought out more, was cool some of his new quotes like: "Everybody Dies!"... But other quotes made him feel little tooo campy rather than badass maniac dude, but I know the first game had alot of this humour, maybe it was overdone or done in the wrong way here.

The other Chosen, I kinda like what they decided to do with them here, but then again I kinda wished they'd remained how they were in first game. I really liked JoJo being Ishmial though.

The enemies A.i and their models weren't very good, they'd run on the spot alot and keep repeating their idle sound over and over. Using the dagger or pistol to gib enemies to pieces, it may be over the top and perfect for a Blood game, but the way it is done just isn't satisfying enough, same as the burning deaths it just isn't fun to see the enemies fall to the floor, I wanna see them run around ablaze.

The types of monsters were pretty lame too, the spitting alien and the face hugging creatures, I prefer the horrors from the first game..
Weapons too, some boring stock rifles, knives and hand guns but then theres the bug spray which is unique weapon like the first game had.

Maps were pretty boring, didn't really like the design of them.

No I couldn't do any better, and still glad and appreciate what is here and it's still a good game, it's not horrific. I'd play this over Halo or CoD anyday.

But meh, Blood 2 doesn't do it for me... office complexes and the 'cultists' dressed up like agents, yeah the story was pretty interesitng how the Cabal branched off into this big company thing, but give me a pitchfork, robed men and unholy temples 8) .

Cmon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Cmon » Mar 15th, 2011, 19:40

I believe Blood 2 was just an attempt to earn some money off the title... :cry:

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » May 27th, 2011, 20:11

In my humble opinion, Blood 2 was about 75% as good as the original Blood. That 25% accounts for the "unfinished feel" to it.

One of the many aspects I liked about it was the effort put into updating the theme, that balance between new elements and classic elements was a work of art. The levels are varied, challenging and bloodish; I wasn't bored at all.

Another 2 remarkable aspects were the blood squirting effect (still unparalleled over a decade later) and the final boss. That thing was badass, though the nightmare levels would have been a lot more enjoyable with a decent boss and COMPLETE cultist/fanatic models.

I could go on and one about this game, but everything's been said already. I still have it installed and I play it regularly, it's just fun 8)

Alex2501
Still Kicking

Post by Alex2501 » Jul 10th, 2011, 12:37

I was going to start a thread called: Blood 2: What Went Wrong? but then I saw this thread.

Aside from confusing level design, average weapons, lame cutscenes, and bad enemy A.I. in addition to cheap enemy A.I. (seriously, on Medium Difficulty any enemy with a gun will immediately see you and get you several times, not even the Cultists in the original are that accurate). It just didn't feel like Blood.

It had Caleb and gore, that's about it. I liked the Motel Hell and Predator references. It just felt really average, and the bugs and confusing level design just killed any interest in it. Caleb doesn't talk too much aside from cut scenes, and when he does he usually say's "make the hurting stop" which feels out of character. The story just kinda' sucked and was average. I never liked FPS where control is taken away from us for a while so the game can tell us a very cliche story. I know this is something that can be blamed on Valve and Half-Life, and a story can really help a game, but I personally don't like the frequency of cut scenes. It's just like Castlevania 2 where the game pauses to tell us what a terrible night it is to have a curse. It's unnecessary and slows down gameplay.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Aug 12th, 2011, 21:24

It's a little thing, but Ophelia's accent put me off as well. I'm not sure if they were going for an accent from somewhere in Britain, or whether they were going for a New England northeast US accent, but it went wrong in the translation.

It sounds pretty much like an American female trying to fake a British accent. Not particularly convincingly either.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."

Cmon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Cmon » Aug 13th, 2011, 08:48

Actually, I read another thread on the voice actor of Ophelia. I think that is her natural accent. I find quite seductive to be honest. I guess it depends on where you're from.

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Aug 13th, 2011, 18:25

Here's an interview with her, where she's speaking with a North American accent.

Of course, changes of nationality and residency can have odd effects. It's possible she was British and then came over to America for her career - she certainly wouldn't be the first dramatic talent to do this. Living in a new place for a few years can also change your accent.

I personally have undergone at least two involuntary accent changes when I moved between regions of the world that speak using British-derived accents to American-derived accents or vice versa. Right now I can speak naturally in a North American accent, and I can "fake" an RP ("received pronunciation" - aka "Queen's English") accent with maybe 75% accuracy. I have much harder times with regional accents like Scouser, Brummy, Newky etc.

But if I were a gambler, I'd probably put money on Minella being native or acclimated US/Canadian, and with a good amount of practice in an RP accent for her dramatic work. It's not perfect (in the video you link to, her "o" sounds in "rose" is unusually softened, and her rounding of the "r" sound as in "her" is inconsistently open or closed, when most English accents tend to leave them open unless they immediately precede a vowel), but it's a damn sight better than most imitations go.

It's also worth bearing in mind that in theater and poetry, the genre tends to favor RP accents regardless of the native accent of the performer. (Much in the same way as rock music tends to favor a North American accent.) Your link above features a dramatic poetry reading, so she may have been adopting an RP accent, in accordance with the genre.

Just some things to think about. :) While we're on the subject of accents, I do remember meeting a guy from Yorkshire who had a very high reedy voice and he spoke with a strong accent. When he first met me, he noted my (non-Yorkshire) accent and then said, very loudly:

"Ye've got te taak proppaa!"

Fortunately when I cracked up uncontrollably, he joined me laughing. I was afraid there would be a fight.

Cmon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Cmon » Aug 13th, 2011, 23:50

Panoptic Blur wrote:Fortunately when I cracked up uncontrollably, he joined me laughing. I was afraid there would be a fight.
Hahaha

VGAce
Still Kicking

Post by VGAce » Aug 15th, 2011, 11:07

i lately replayed it and could almost not believe how bad the level design is
really a let down because i remember enjoying it to some extend back then
same goes for shogo mobile armor division which was awesome in the last millenium but nowadays the lithtech engine with its unconjoined bodyparts is horribly ugly and was even back then but i didnt notice so much
blood2 abnormal unsharp textures have no style it seems somebody just had to get the work done with no love for the game at all the only good ones are copies of blood1 tiles and cathedral
the crap with the chosen always pissed me off caleb does not need a team he is alone better than all of these punks together
i also dislike lazy stuff like the model of the berettas is basicaly just a skin/different sound for shogo's (more fun to shoot) pistols
the rest misses a lot of gore and cool enemies the animations are laughable too
they tried to tone down the violence as much as possible to make it sell to a wider audience

always remember the washing mashine with bodyparts in it and how they moved by the mashines vibration
maybe because you see it and think cool this is what i like to see! but problem is there wont be any more of these things :/

BEAST

Post by BEAST » Oct 15th, 2012, 23:08

Blood 2 had potential, and Monolith messed it up by trying to rush it. SHOGO was also rushed, but at least it had better writing, level design, and interactivity. When Blood 2 was announced, I was looking forward to playing Caleb in an up-to-date 3D engine (so long as my computer could play it) in a modern/futuristic environment. I liked the idea of Blood 1's hero blowing apart villains usually found in The Crow or Tim Burton's Batman, and monstrosities resembling those in Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, and Quake 1. The style was an immense change upon what we were originally used to, but I had hoped that the style would be able to enhance what we loved in the first Blood.

I admit, I originally thought the demo level to Blood 2 was cool and unique, and probably a little more easy to play (I still had to cheat at first, I'm ashamed to say, so it wasn't THAT easy). I unfortunately first played it on a Windows 95 before we had a Voodoo Card installed, so it was pretty slow on the framerate and unsmooth at first. When I managed to play it after the card was finally installed, I was blown away by the skyboxes, smoke affects, and smooth animation. It's been like over a decade later now, and it's no longer impressive.

What I liked about the final product of Blood 2 were the atmospheric soundtrack, uniquely designed monsters, the A.I. of the Zealots, the attack animations of the Bone Leeches/Hands/Theives, and the Gothic futuristic art direction of the levels. However, the levels could have been so much better designed, Batman/The Crow environments for the levels. For example, when I first saw the snapshot of a museum level on the original site, I had hoped that Monolith would create a Gothic museum in the manner of the one where Jack Nicholson's Joker crashed. Or perhaps a museum resembling Vigo’s from Ghostbusters 2. Instead, the design was rather lame and lacking in verisimilitude. Even the Tchernobog sculpture was uninspired. When I first learned about the statue in the Planet Blood walkthrough, I was hoping for it to be a towering figure and closely resembling the original. That’s just one example among many of the unimpressive design decisions.

It’s a shame that it took awhile for the LithTech engine to really take off. Not until NOLF would the high aspirations behind B2 and SHOGO would finally be realized (in a way). Even though Half-Life hadn’t been released yet when B2 was being developed, there were other games with brilliant level design around which they could have used for inspiration. Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, for example, had excellent level design, and its engine, though very polygonal and low-tech, had a bunch of nifty features (such as its capacity for enormous environments). I originally thought that B2 looked like it was made with the Sith Engine (JK’s engine), and I expected B2 to play kind of like JK, but be bloodier and without blasters. Of course, not every gamer is crazy about JK (a bunch keep complaining about how ugly it looks over how innovative it was for the time), so I shouldn’t drag on about how I love its engine. Still, it was cited by PC Gamer for being one of the few FPSs to have inspiring level design next to Half-Life, and both games were among their top rated games. Level design cues from JK might’ve helped.

One thing I am grateful for about B2 is that it (perhaps indirectly) inspired Valve to do a similar story for Half-Life 2. Not quite the same, yet for me, HL2 was paying homage to the ambitious ideas from the late 90s BUILD engine game developers.

Moonlight Waltz
New user

Post by Moonlight Waltz » Apr 9th, 2013, 16:29

Pretty good. I enjoyed this game alot, even with its flaws. Man, the 90s were a great time for FPS.