What do you think of Blood II? And why so?

Discussion about Blood II and its addons.

What is your opinion of Blood 2?

Great!
7%
Pretty good
30%
Average
37%
Pretty bad
13%
Terrible
13%

Total votes: 60

BLOODTheChosenOne
Pink on the Inside

Re: What do you think of Blood II? And why so?

Post by BLOODTheChosenOne » Nov 29th, 2009, 20:21

Daedolon wrote:
BLOODTheChosenOne wrote:...
I think those are mighty big words from someone who has "The Chosen" in his name.
Well the chosen were in the 1st game am I correct? So I don't see a problem in using it. I just wish that they used the same graphics as the original but added new enemies, more textures, more music, and new characters. It would be so much more... Blood. Besides, there was way to many glitches to be normal in that game.

I don't think people should give it the credit it dosn't deserve... To me, Blood 2 never exsisted! I wish I could go back in time and tell them how badly this game was goingto SUCK so they could do something about it.
Face it people, no one can re-create the unique feel of Blood, only the gods have such power...

ilikemyhandsbloody
Lightly Broiled

Post by ilikemyhandsbloody » Nov 29th, 2009, 20:35

BLOODTheChosenOne wrote:I just wish that they used the same graphics as the original
In the 1st level of the nightmare levels they did use some of Blood 1's textures.
But man, that add-on is so incredible lame, It makes Blood 2 look pretty good! :thumbsdown:
http://www.youtube.com/bloodmapedit

BLOODTheChosenOne
Pink on the Inside

Post by BLOODTheChosenOne » Dec 30th, 2009, 01:12

damn... people actually voted great...
Face it people, no one can re-create the unique feel of Blood, only the gods have such power...

ilikemyhandsbloody
Lightly Broiled

Post by ilikemyhandsbloody » Dec 30th, 2009, 02:05

BLOODTheChosenOne wrote:great...
Perhaps they think it's a "Great piece of shit" ;)

At least Blood did have a sequel (in a new engine), 'cuz Duke didn't, Shadow Warrior didn't, Redneck didn't etc.

Some B2 Trivia:
The Coral Essex Hotel's neon sign flickers constantly, causing the "C", first "E" and first "s" to disappear. The result is that the sign intermittently reads "oral sex"
Btw Choosen, what do you think of Shogo: Mobile Armor Division? It was released around the same time as Blood 2 and also powered by Lithtech, the same engine as B2.

T93
New user

Post by T93 » Dec 30th, 2009, 03:51

Well, what i have to say is that if Blood 2 came up with a better storyline and better graphics (half life at the time already pwnd them), probably now Monolith would be doing a Third Chapter. and thinking that Monolith works with WB games...
:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

BLOODTheChosenOne
Pink on the Inside

Post by BLOODTheChosenOne » Jan 19th, 2010, 03:23

Never played Shogo... not my type of game... Oh and duke is possibly getting a remake, I cant think of anything I would rather do less...

ilikemyhandsbloody
Lightly Broiled

Post by ilikemyhandsbloody » Jan 19th, 2010, 03:53

BLOODTheChosenOne wrote:Oh and duke is possibly getting a remake, I cant think of anything I would rather do less...
It probably will never see the light of day... Duke Nukem Fornever! :lol:

BLOODTheChosenOne
Pink on the Inside

Post by BLOODTheChosenOne » Jan 19th, 2010, 03:57

Duke Nukem Fornever!
ROLF Oh my fuckin gawd! It hurts to laugh...

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » May 19th, 2010, 05:56

I'm not surprised by the mediocrity people attribute to this title. I still play it. But, meeeh. But I still haven't played the Nightmare Levels. I will have to GoG it when I get payed again.
Cruentu Pestis Cruento Rudsceleratus Sum

holaareola
New user

Post by holaareola » May 19th, 2010, 23:49

It was a failure of style, gameplay and quality.

Style because they fucked it up following the technology too much -- although no-one can blame them, as it's taken a good long while for developers to realise that the overall visual impression is a thing in itself and not necessarily linked to technology, and at that time the technology was what everyone was chasing. The limitations a 2d engine presented were certainly less harmful to Blood's excessive style than the limitations of a 3d engine in the Blood 2 era though. Blurry textures, low poly models and shitty particle effects. Polygonal explosions too, YECH. I'd hoped that Quake 2 would be the example that put everyone else off doing explosions this way forever.

Gameplay primarily because of the lacklustre weapons, pathetic explosions, high proportion of dull levels and rubbish enemies. The horrible physics of that generation of the Lithtech engine didn't help either. Gone was the bounciness and fluidity of the Build engine movement, in was this horrible sudden stop deceleration and abjectly unfun gravity acceleration of that generation of the Lithtech engine. No One Lives Forever got away with the horror of movement physics on then present-day Lithtech, mainly because it was a much slower game, but the fast paced combat of Blood 2 put the engine's weakest cards on the centre of the table at all times.

Quality. Well, I dunno, I just remember there being tons of annoying little bugs and lots of enemies getting stuck. I mean, enemies in any of the old shooters are stupid, but the one thing they've got going for them that is zero pathfinding or not, they at least keep MOVING. Blood goes one further than this, I've noticed, where the AI seem to change direction if their current push is giving them no joy. Blood 2, on the other hand, was stuck demon city.

Not good then, and even worse when it was my most anticipated game at that point.

ZedSlayer
New user

Post by ZedSlayer » May 20th, 2010, 00:10

I say pretty good. Like others have said before me, its not a very good successor to Blood, but it is a pretty good game by its own merits and is unique to the other fps released at the time.

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » May 22nd, 2010, 04:02

Well I'm ready to give it another try. I've gotten paid and now I'm going to GoG it and see if its as I remember. You want to know what I think is very close to a successor to Blood? Don't kill me, but the only thing that even comes close for me is Painkiller.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » May 22nd, 2010, 04:08

Many Bloodites felt similarly at the time, Morhlis.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

morhlis
Pink on the Inside

Post by morhlis » May 22nd, 2010, 04:10

Ahhh, good good. Then I'm not alone :D

Panoptic Blur
Well Done

Post by Panoptic Blur » Sep 10th, 2010, 06:59

When I read the blurbs for Blood2, they mentioned a magic system. The actual game didn't have too much of this, sadly.

A few years later I played Clive Barker's Undying. That was a horror-themed FPS game which did incorporate a magic system, successfully. All the while playing that game, I was thinking to myself "This is a cool system, I wish I was playing as Caleb right now and taking the fight to the Cabal!"

One big thing I liked about the first Blood was its fictitious-historical charm. I liked exploring levels set in period historical settings. Blood2 became a modern (or near-future) shooter instead and I think it lost a lot of its charm there. Shooting fantastical cultists and otherworldly demons was a lot more fun to me than going up against a corporate enemy.
"All right, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and answer them as simply as you can."