What do you think of Blood II? And why so?

Discussion about Blood II and its addons.

What is your opinion of Blood 2?

Great!
7%
Pretty good
30%
Average
37%
Pretty bad
13%
Terrible
13%

Total votes: 60

ryu91
New user

Post by ryu91 » Jul 5th, 2008, 09:31

I thought the game was pretty good gameplay wise. The story seemed to make no sense at all especially Gabriel turned to Gabriella (She would never tell you about it and the expansion pack did bring a little more feeling of Blood to it but the story was still confusing). Level Design I think is what made Monolith not make something like FEAR Perseus Mandate after Blood 2 was done. Now I heard they were pressured to getting out to a holiday deadline (Its how business works) and I'm sure the developers were upset to see the results after its release. I mean it was gonna have better multiplayer they still competitive modes but there was gonna be co-op and for a 3D game you don't see a lot of online Co-op multiplayer which is sad. The easy mode was kinda funny for a bit since you could gib people with a pistol and after awhile it got old. A.I was pretty bad too. Enemies I was displeased I missed the chanting fanatics from the original and I loved hearing them scream as they died by my hands with whatever I used. Caleb didn't have a lot of good one liners. Overall the game is still Blood and deserves some better treatment. Kurt's even showing what Blood 2 could be capable of and hopefully we'll get to play his work sometime soon.

Overmind
Still Kicking

Post by Overmind » Jul 5th, 2008, 13:01

Usually no 2nd game ever lives up to the expectations of the ones that , played the 1st. Blood 2 was no exception, but even so it had very good music and graphis (for it's time).
I think one of the primary reasons that Blood 2 is considered under the level of Blood 1 is the missing enemies (like death, helltiger, flyers monks - that we only see in the expansion, pirhanas, etc.).
Then, weapons - specially bullet-based. Tommy Gun was way better then the SMG+AR. This somehow compensated by the Minigun, which is a good idea to have. And W7F...no fork ?
Then, it's the Howitzer-Napalm Launcher redundancy. And the idea of different weapons using the same ammo type is very bad, because there's just not enough ammo for all of them. To take the most relevant exmple: Pistol/SMG/AR/Minigun.
3rd reason: armor.
While blood had the fantastic idea to use separate armor for physichal/fire/psi damage, in Blood 2 we just have standard multi-purpouse armor.

Those would be the 3 main reasons I can think of right now.
[color=#CC0000]I'm here to donate some blood... someone else's ![/color]

kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Post by kurt » Jul 6th, 2008, 01:26

It's good to hear some of these thoughts on Blood 2. Knowing what people would really like to see and experience, can only help with the continuous overhaul of this misguided sequel.

I do agree that different ammo and armor types would be an improvement, as well as a return to some more familiar enemy and weapon archetypes.

Blood 2 deserved to die "a slow, slow death", but in its passing it has learned much. A well thought out resurrection could potentially allow it to "live again" in a way that could once only be dreamed of...

Overmind
Still Kicking

Post by Overmind » Jul 6th, 2008, 10:00

If we only has the engine from F.E.A.R. or HL2 to work with... 8)
[color=#CC0000]I'm here to donate some blood... someone else's ![/color]

Shadowman
The Posty Baby

Post by Shadowman » Jul 6th, 2008, 17:36

Saying that around here might get you in trouble. :p
Achievement Unlocked: <3*
(Since returned to Daedalus.)
Achievement Unlocked: Kickass Chaos Avatar by Ella.

Achievement Unlocked: Best Insult Ever

RedFanatic
Pink on the Inside

Post by RedFanatic » Jul 7th, 2008, 05:39

Almost certainly restating what has already been but............

Blood 2 is okay I voted Pretty bad though mainly because of the story, Blood
had a really great story very simple but really evocative of something larger i myself as have many other been
inspired to create Addon's, story's, comic's pictures or just imaginings on the Blood world.

This kind of thing just wasn't done with Blood2 in fact they decided to just invent any old vaguely
horror base rubbish and jam it all together on the form of Blood with hopes it would live......it didn't.

As a game i actually really enjoyed it ONCE.
I'm a really strong advocate of a game you can replay many many times and Blood2 isn't that game
it's too diffuse, dark and boring, level design wise (like the one little back alley you manage to end up in three times or more no matter how far you seem to travle from it)

I will say in it's defence it has got the fun of monolith's death animations and some quite enjoyable weapons, but it has no soul and without the efforts of good fellows like Kurt it never will.
[color=red]Infuscomus Cruo Lokemundux[/color]

http://bpf.deathmask.net/
[img]http://bpf.deathmask.net/banner.gif[/img]

ilikemyhandsbloody
Lightly Broiled

Re:

Post by ilikemyhandsbloody » Nov 23rd, 2009, 21:48

Average, and that's not (only) because I think it's not a good follow up to Blood1 but because the maps were not always that good, some were great like the museum, disease managment lab, and the castle kinda setting somewhere towards the end but some parts were absobloodylutely terrible! And I hated those leeches in the water!

And that add-on, Nightmare Levels... well, maybe I should wisely keep my mouth shut about that one... :puke:
http://www.youtube.com/bloodmapedit

BLOODTheChosenOne
Pink on the Inside

Re: What do you think of Blood II? And why so?

Post by BLOODTheChosenOne » Nov 29th, 2009, 08:44

1st - The game was set in 2028, 100 years after the events in Blood I which makes Caleb 181 years old. - Damn someone call the foster home we have an old fart on the lose!

2nd - Caleb is still searching a way to bring back the chosen - By getting wasted in bars for 100 years?

3rd - Graphics look like someone shit on a plate and then shit on it agian.

4th - Weapons don't give me orgasims when I use them.

5th - Enemies are stupid... I mean stupid as in having shit for brains.

5 1/2 - WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT OF THESE ENEMIES!?!?!? - I will find him and eat his 1st born son!

6th - The whole game is one giant glitch like my friend's ass on prom night!

7th - Level designs are pathetic and the levelist should be burned with the power of a thousand suns!!! - talk about burning anal madness, I'm pissed!

8th - It didn't have co-op and Bloodbath sucked big huge hairy donkey peggers!

9th - It was a waste of effort, time, and LIFE on making this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And FINALLY the worst of them ALL!!!

10th - I BOUGHT THIS GAME!!!!!!
Face it people, no one can re-create the unique feel of Blood, only the gods have such power...

ilikemyhandsbloody
Lightly Broiled

Post by ilikemyhandsbloody » Nov 29th, 2009, 09:13

I think 1 of the biggest failures were the lowres textures, stupid blurry mess!
BLOODTheChosenOne wrote:10th - I BOUGHT THIS GAME!!!!!!
Well, at least you didn't buy the Nighmare Levels... (maybe that helps you ease the suffering) :D
(NML had the cultists back but still looks stupid)
BLOODTheChosenOne wrote:1st - The game was set in 2028, 100 years after the events in Blood I which makes Caleb 181 years old[/b]
Mmm, now wait a minute!! Caleb's age was 81 already in Blood 1?! :shock:
Last edited by ilikemyhandsbloody on Nov 29th, 2009, 13:14, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.youtube.com/bloodmapedit

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Nov 29th, 2009, 11:52

I did not find it was that bad. It was a fast paced shooter, with a lot of weapons and Caleb as the main character.

The enemies are different from Blood that's for sure, at least some are still here like zombies, spiders, hands, etc.

The map design was not that great that's true, one strange thing is that you had to go in the same level many a time.

Graphics, they are ok in my opinion, only the Blood that burst when you shoot an enemy is quite lame.

Blood 2 is not an awesome game, it could have been a lot better and more respectful to Blood 1 in many way, but I found it was a good game and I like to play it sometimes.
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Nov 29th, 2009, 12:36

BLOODTheChosenOne wrote:...
I think those are mighty big words from someone who has "The Chosen" in his name.

Snake Plissken
Pink on the Inside

Post by Snake Plissken » Nov 29th, 2009, 13:17

In fact i think the worst aspects of Blood II, even before the bugs and such, are it's dullness and absolutely anonimity. In fact, i haven't finished it yet and it has been installed on my HD since 1999/2000. After every format i have reinstalled Blood II, played it a bit and then got absolutely bored with it and left it to take the dust.
All the good sides that made Blood I great are missing: the great atmospheres, the atmospheric and involving soundtrack, Caleb's dark and gritty humor, intelligent and really dangerous enemies, the intelligent game of quotations and winks to other works of cinema, music and popular culture, the clever and stunning level design.
We have instead stupid and generic enemies, dull levels, anonymous industrial music and a watered Caleb. What a waste.

Le Babe
Well Done

Post by Le Babe » Nov 29th, 2009, 14:21

I think the music is ok in Blood 2. Fits quite well the future theme. There're less winks to popular culture than in the first one, but there are some (like the I Want to Believe poster from X-Files in an office).
"I'm here to donate some blood...someone else's..." - Caleb

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Nov 29th, 2009, 14:38

I think the soundtrack is one of the best parts in Blood 2. Yeaaa it's a bit simple and minimal, but it worked really good for me. But then again, I have history of being into dark ambient so..
LOL HI!

Snake Plissken
Pink on the Inside

Post by Snake Plissken » Nov 29th, 2009, 16:49

Don't get me wrong, i like industrial and ambient music (bands like nine inch nails, nox arcana, the fall, ministry, iron curtain and such), but i find more fitting to an horror themed game like Blood other kinds of music. ;)