Things Caleb should never-ever say.

Discussion about Blood II and its addons.
Requiem
Lightly Broiled

Post by Requiem » Dec 7th, 2007, 18:46

Daedolon wrote:"I love mimes!"
Daedolon wins!
[quote="Umnir"]The final boss of HL.. It's like running on sharp glass, acid raining on you while there's two pineapples in your ass sideways and bulldogs are trying to eat your balls.[/quote]

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Dec 12th, 2007, 12:53

mouth wrote:
Umnir wrote:We will take some red wine and talk this over
Actually that one sounds like it would be a great one-liner said by Caleb :D
Just picture him saying that, oh man, WIN!
Hmm... heh, maybe so. With sarcastic tone in the Caleb's voice. :)
LOL HI!

Nathan Deringer
Pink on the Inside

Post by Nathan Deringer » Jan 6th, 2008, 10:57

Problem is, Caleb's personality and voice make everything an irony, thus even "this hurts me more than it hurts you" suits him!

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Jan 6th, 2008, 13:14

It's called sarcasm not irony.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Nathan Deringer
Pink on the Inside

Post by Nathan Deringer » Jan 6th, 2008, 16:13

Actually it's called irony.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jan 6th, 2008, 16:15

Where's the irony in that sentence?

Nathan Deringer
Pink on the Inside

Post by Nathan Deringer » Jan 6th, 2008, 16:21

Daedolon wrote:Where's the irony in that sentence?
There's none, Caleb would make it ironic.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jan 6th, 2008, 16:22

Uhh. Okay.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Jan 6th, 2008, 16:44

Nathan Deringer wrote:Actually it's called irony.
Actually it's not. Don't let the CNN make you dumber than you already are.

From Wikipedia:
A fair amount of confusion has surrounded the issue regarding the relationship between verbal irony and sarcasm, and psychology researchers have addressed the issue directly (e.g, Lee & Katz, 1998). For example, ridicule is an important aspect of sarcasm, but not verbal irony in general. By this account, sarcasm is a particular kind of personal criticism leveled against a person or group of persons that incorporates verbal irony. For example, a person reports to her friend that rather than going to a medical doctor to treat her ovarian cancer, she has decided to see a spiritual healer instead. In response her friend says sarcastically, "Great idea! I hear they do fine work!" The friend could have also replied with any number of ironic expressions that should not be labeled as sarcasm exactly, but still have many shared elements with sarcasm.
While some cases of verbal irony can be considered to be sarcastic, it is not always the other way around. In case of that Caleb's quote, it's not by a long shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Vuzeth
Pink on the Inside

Post by Vuzeth » Jan 6th, 2008, 17:00

*applauses*

So you're the smartest one and others are idiots? Is that you always trying to prove? [/code]
AKA Ghoste

Nathan Deringer
Pink on the Inside

Post by Nathan Deringer » Jan 6th, 2008, 17:03

Dimebog wrote:
Nathan Deringer wrote:Actually it's called irony.
Actually it's not. Don't let the CNN make you dumber than you already are.

From Wikipedia:
A fair amount of confusion has surrounded the issue regarding the relationship between verbal irony and sarcasm, and psychology researchers have addressed the issue directly (e.g, Lee & Katz, 1998). For example, ridicule is an important aspect of sarcasm, but not verbal irony in general. By this account, sarcasm is a particular kind of personal criticism leveled against a person or group of persons that incorporates verbal irony. For example, a person reports to her friend that rather than going to a medical doctor to treat her ovarian cancer, she has decided to see a spiritual healer instead. In response her friend says sarcastically, "Great idea! I hear they do fine work!" The friend could have also replied with any number of ironic expressions that should not be labeled as sarcasm exactly, but still have many shared elements with sarcasm.
While some cases of verbal irony can be considered to be sarcastic, it is not always the other way around. In case of that Caleb's quote, it's not by a long shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
CNN is for commies and Wikipedia can be freely edited by mentally challenged persons with no knowledge of anything whatsoever :roll:

"irony: 1 the expression of meaning through the use of language which normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous effect. 2 a state of affairs that appears perversely contrary to what one expects"

"sarcasm: noun the use of irony to mock or convey contempt"

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/irony?view=uk
http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/sarcasm?view=uk

You can use irony without mockery. Take "this hurts me more than it hurts you" for example, it ain't mocking anything/anyone but it would be funny given the right context.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Jan 6th, 2008, 17:14

Sarcasm is implying something while meaning the opposite.

While irony is doing something which eventually gets undone because of your doings.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Jan 6th, 2008, 17:18

"• noun (pl. ironies) 1 the expression of meaning through the use of language which normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous effect. 2 a state of affairs that appears perversely contrary to what one expects."

One sentence can't explain the first thing about what is irony. You just try to fit everything in that tiny box of yours. Irony, as the form of expression is just a single instance where this phenomena occurs. It is called "verbal irony". People don't convey irony with their sentences, situations do. Situations are ironic and not someone's saying, unless what you are saying is describing an instance or some such predicament. There is nothing "ironic" about Caleb inviting someone to a discussion - it's sarcasm. He would say so because he means exactly the opposite and therein lies the obvious, because we already know who is Caleb and what he does.

And you can't edit Wikipedia, because your changes would be moderated within minutes.
Daedolon wrote:Sarcasm is implying something while meaning the opposite.

While irony is doing something which eventually gets undone because of your doings.
Correct.

P.S. Sorry Ghoste, I don't speak

Code: Select all

[/i].

Vuzeth
Pink on the Inside

Post by Vuzeth » Jan 6th, 2008, 17:30

It's IMPOSSIBLE to prove anything in this instance and in similar situations one with better authority usually "wins".
You are all right or wrong, depends on how you like it to hear.
Sorry, Dimebog, I didn't mean to offend you.
AKA Ghoste

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Jan 6th, 2008, 17:48

Hah, what authority are you talking about? Whatever I say, you will be there to raise your voice against me. Isn't that enough for you? Isn't that the democracy that you craved for ever since you fled from the oppressive clutches of the RBC?
Ghoste wrote:Sorry, Dimebog, I didn't mean to offend you.
See, that's a fine example of sarcasm.

Anyway. It is alright. You can think the truth is whatever you would like it to be, I'm not going to stop you.

I learned my lesson.