The Nightmare Levels

Discussion about Blood II and its addons.
Requiem
Lightly Broiled

The Nightmare Levels

Post by Requiem » Apr 15th, 2006, 14:18

I never bothered with them, I read that there were only 6 levels and a few new additions but that was it. What did I miss?
[quote="Umnir"]The final boss of HL.. It's like running on sharp glass, acid raining on you while there's two pineapples in your ass sideways and bulldogs are trying to eat your balls.[/quote]

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Apr 15th, 2006, 14:51

Well. I take it you wouldn't have asked if you didn't want me to spoil it for you. 8)

Two new guns; the assault shotgun and the flayer. The assault shotgun is a rapidly firing shotgun (way to try and replace the sawed off!) and the flayer is a magic weapon which creates portals which spawn chains that connect to enemies with hooks. It's not very powerful, but the chains do prohibit movement.

A handful of new enemies. None particularly worth mentioning save for the cultist. That's right, they brought back the robed men. They're pretty cool and they use some of the actual quotes from Blood 1. The only problem is that they have Blood 2's overtalkativeness, so you'll definitely hear them before you fight them and they don't shut up until buried.

Most Bloodites agree that the Nightmare levels were what Blood 2 should've been. No, they aren't particularly brilliant. Yes, you will finish this expansion in 6 hours or less, but there's a hint and only a very tiny, tiny hint of Blood 1's essence in the expansion and that makes it worth checking out.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Hellen
Well Done

Post by Hellen » Apr 15th, 2006, 15:04

The Nightmares are at least fun. It’s fun to shoot clowns instead of men in black.

Pity though you can’t run away from assault rifles and miniguns.

Requiem
Lightly Broiled

Post by Requiem » Apr 15th, 2006, 15:06

You didn't really spoil anything tbh! Anywhere to get hold of it? I had a look on Ebay and Amazon but there's only the original game on there. I don't really want to pay £20 for 6 new levels either really :|
[quote="Umnir"]The final boss of HL.. It's like running on sharp glass, acid raining on you while there's two pineapples in your ass sideways and bulldogs are trying to eat your balls.[/quote]

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Apr 15th, 2006, 15:10

I don't really want to pay £20 for 6 new levels either really :|
Well, it's all in the name of Blood, you know. :wink:

Hah, but no, you're right. It's absurdly short and as to helping you out beyond eBay, I must shrug my shoulders, I'm afraid. I don't have all the answers.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Hellen
Well Done

Post by Hellen » Apr 15th, 2006, 15:16

Ðaedalus Ðeathmask wrote:I don't have all the answers.[/color]
But I have the answer! My answer is illegal and not allowed here… - it's ISO

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Apr 15th, 2006, 15:19

Well, if Al wants to go down that road then it's not my place to stop him. As is Jarmo's law, please keep it in PM's though, that is, if Al's interested.

Requiem
Lightly Broiled

Post by Requiem » Apr 15th, 2006, 15:31

I've only ever pirated a game once and I bought the proper thing a few months later anyway so it doesnt count. I always buy my games, there's just something unappealing about a ripped copy, probably the lack of documentation, artwork and presentation.. and the fact that they're ripping off talented individuals who work long and hard on these projects. However, if someone wants to provide me with a download link or something that would be really excellent and we don't have to tell anyone, besides I'm going to buy Condemed soon so Monolith will have more of my *cough* hard earned *cough* cash.

Requiem
Lightly Broiled

Post by Requiem » Apr 16th, 2006, 18:26

Aww nuts, I was in such a mood to load this up this last night it was annoying, so I had to make do with Vanilla B2 for a bit. I want to play this so badly!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Apr 16th, 2006, 19:01

...talented individuals...
When I look at modern games this part doesn't strike me as particularly true or effective.

Perhaps Hellen will help you out.

Dopefish
Still Kicking

Post by Dopefish » Apr 16th, 2006, 20:06

Ðaedalus Ðeathmask wrote:
...talented individuals...
When I look at modern games this part doesn't strike me as particularly true or effective.

DD's got a point.

And I'm not sure "Downloading a forgotten game that is discontinued and the developers couldn't care less about" counts as "ripping off" these talented individuals you speak of.

Blood II didn't particularly strike me as a game made by many talented individuals.
Punching contest GO!

Requiem
Lightly Broiled

Post by Requiem » Apr 16th, 2006, 20:12

Ohhh, now that's fighting words!

That should be a Caleb quote ^^ hehe.

I know what you mean though, Monolith have made several games since Blood 2 to make up for it though, NOLF being a prime example, I love those games!

Dopefish
Still Kicking

Post by Dopefish » Apr 18th, 2006, 05:35

Requiem wrote:Ohhh, now that's fighting words!
"Them's".

"What!? Them's fightin' words!"
Punching contest GO!

Willis
New user

Post by Willis » Apr 18th, 2006, 12:11

I believe that's "them's be"
--Willis

Requiem
Lightly Broiled

Post by Requiem » Apr 18th, 2006, 14:44

Lucky me, killed by the best...

Ok I 'found' this and played it, two words sum up my thoughts: Oh dear.

I knew for six levels we weren't gonna get much but I didn't think it'd be that bad, but it really was. I've *ahem* borrowed the following review format from a certain other poster:

The good:

- Some cool new textures and set pieces.
- The classic cultist enemy returns.
- Felt a little bit like Old school Blood.
- The flayer was quite fun to use.

The bad:

- Cultists wont shut the %£*(&$% up!
- The clowns are just reskinned suited cultists who utter the same original sound bytes.
- More shoddy, poorly directed cutscenes that rarely make any sense.
- Gabby's voice is even more annoying than usual.
- Gremlins and autoshotgun were pointless.
- Carnival level was a letdown.

The ugly:

- Some downright hideous brushwork
- Very bad size proportion
- Extremely short (beat it in just over an hour)

After I'm done with slicing and dicing some sound files, I shall erase all trace of this abomination. Bad Monolith... go sit in the corner!!!!

*cue ÐÐ saying I give the game too much credit* :lol: