Blood 2: The Nightmare Levels question

Discussion about Blood II and its addons.
meleemario
New user

Blood 2: The Nightmare Levels question

Post by meleemario » May 16th, 2011, 06:32

I went through the pinned thread about how to get Blood 2 running on Windows Vista/7 64 bit (which is what I have), and i'm wondering about how to get the Nightmare Levels expansion running with Blood 2. I saw no particular mention about it, and I don't want to mess anything up. Is the process the same as mentioned in the thread, or is there a different way to go about it? Thanks in advance!!

(If any mods want to merge this thread with the thread about how to get Blood 2 running, feel free to do so, and I apologize in advance. I just wasn't sure about posting in it asking about this, and i'm not sure how the Postmortem feels about thread necromancy.)

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Re: Blood 2: The Nightmare Levels question

Post by Daedalus » May 16th, 2011, 10:36

Greetings and welcome, believer. You have successfully exceeded the boundaries of reason and proceeded to create a second thread on The Postmortem. My congratulations extend to you, for very few make it that far, but whether you have the perseverance and character it requires to remain a devoted part of our collective remains to be seen.

We at The Postmortem take pride in thread necromacy, so feel free to do it as you please. As for your question, I, the resident Dreaming God, don't particularly care for Blood 2, but a pupil has been dispatched to educate.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

meleemario
New user

Re: Blood 2: The Nightmare Levels question

Post by meleemario » May 24th, 2011, 07:42

My fellow Bloodites, after some trial and error, I have figured out how to install The Nightmare Levels with Blood 2 on Windows Vista/7 64-bit. Allow me to elaborate...
patch 2.1 Readme wrote:If you have Blood 2: Nightmares installed, you do not need to install this patch.
The Nightmare Levels read me also says the following...
Nightmare Levels Readme wrote:It does not matter if you installed either patch 1.01 or 2.0. Blood II: Nightmares includes all changes made through February '99, and will update all files.
So you may not have to install Patch 2.0 when putting Blood 2 on a modern operating system, but I have yet to test that. I put The Nightmare Levels in place of patch 2.1. In any case, let me put in some new installation instructions for putting in Blood 2, and it's expansion, The Nightmare Levels.
  • 1. From your Blood 2 disc, copy the folders GAME, MOVIE, & DATA to a folder called "Blood2" on your computer, anywhere at all.

2. After copying the GAME, MOVIE, & DATA folders, install patch 2.0, and copy the GAME folder from the Patch 2.0 file, and let it replace all files your computer says it wants to replace. (Or just skip to step 3 if you're feeling adventurous)

3. Instead of installing Patch 2.1, grab your Nightmare Levels disc, and copy the GAME folder into where your current one is stored, and allow it to overwrite all files.

4. Stick the Blood 2 disc in your computer (Or The Nightmare Levels disc to play the expansion, although the readme says you can use the Blood 2 disc to access the expansion also).

5. Load up BLOOD2.EXE, and see if it works, if it did, the launcher screen for Blood 2 should be different, and have a checkbox down at the bottom saying "The Nightmare Levels", check/uncheck it if you do/don't want to play it. The icon for Blood 2 on your desktop (Provided you put a shortcut on the desktop). After you've made your decision on whether to play Blood 2, or The Nightmare Levels, launch the game after you've configured it to your liking, and have at it!
(For me, I have to have 2 instances of BLOOD2.EXE running in order to get the launcher up to play the game, not entirely sure why. I myself have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, perhaps an operating system quirk?)

There you have it folks, the full Blood 2 experience for those fans who enjoy/want to play Blood 2 for the first time!