'Client MFC Application' error for Blood 2...

Discussion about Blood II and its addons.
DryMango
New user

'Client MFC Application' error for Blood 2...

Post by DryMango » Jun 15th, 2010, 11:39

Hello everyone.

I am a FPS fan ever since Doom came out in 1993. Then came Duke Nukem 3d, and Blood. Blood was one of my favorite games because the dialogue was on par with Duke Nukem and I enjoyed the settings of the game. Unlike Blood 2, I never had any problems running the game.

This client error needs to be mentioned because I am far from the only person who has this problem. I've tried everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, and all I get is a black screen with a 'CLIENT MFC APPLICATION' error message...

Because of Lith, I can't play the game. The only things I can think of that may be the problem is the video card, and simply the computer I'm using.

The system is Windows XP with a ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series video card. I need to know, is the video card old? Am I doing something wrong? Did I put the wrong patch in the game? I got the video card years back so it is probably outdated as compared to today's modern systems.

I enjoyed the first game and I really want to try it out with the second one. But alas, maybe I'm just dumb when it comes to getting computer programs to work.

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Re: 'Client MFC Application' error for Blood 2...

Post by Daedolon » Jun 15th, 2010, 12:20

If you have an ATI dual-core processor, you should first begin by installing the Dual-Core Optimizer.

The game is also very picky when it comes to resolutions, your best bet is using either 4:3 or 16:10 resolutions and not going too much past 1024x768. Watch out for 5:4 resolutions.

I personally have never seen this issue so that's about all I can do to help for now.

DryMango
New user

Post by DryMango » Jun 15th, 2010, 22:45

Daedolon wrote:If you have an ATI dual-core processor, you should first begin by installing the Dual-Core Optimizer.

The game is also very picky when it comes to resolutions, your best bet is using either 4:3 or 16:10 resolutions and not going too much past 1024x768. Watch out for 5:4 resolutions.

I personally have never seen this issue so that's about all I can do to help for now.
Thanks, I'll try it out.

I am not new to these boards or the Blood series. I actually started playing Blood when it came out, and it's been years since I played Blood 2. I am playing on a somewhat old computer, but it really shouldn't have any problems with Blood 2.

I just think it's the Lithtech engine...

I sent these pictures just so you can get a better description of what I'm doing...

Blood2 Advanced Options
Blood2 Display Settings

I got disable model full brights, disable Direct X 6 commands, enable optimized surfaces, enable poly gap fixing, and enable triple buffering on.

And of course, the error message...

kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Post by kurt » Jun 16th, 2010, 00:06

I seem to recall experiencing this once. I believe its related to a corrupt file. Try reinstalling Blood 2 and then applying the 2 retail patches.

http://www.fileplanet.com/9860/0/fileinfo/Blood2-Patch

http://www.fileplanet.com/9859/0/fileinfo/Blood-II-v2.1

I hope that helps.

kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Post by kurt » Jun 18th, 2010, 03:13

I've received emails that provide further information related to this problem. From what I can tell it seems to be caused by the mss32.dll, and it mainly affects Vista users with quad core processors.

The mss32.dll is related to sound, and there are a number of sound settings under the advanced options in the Blood 2.exe. Perhaps by experimenting with these settings a solution can be found. Since I personally don't experience this error currently, the experimentations will have to be done by those with the actual problem.