I am winrez...destroyer of worlds

Discussion about Blood II and its addons.
zZaRDoZz
The Great Betrayer
The Great Betrayer

I am winrez...destroyer of worlds

Post by zZaRDoZz » Jan 27th, 2009, 20:23

My recent experiments with modeledit have reveled a crude way of changing AI behaviors. If placeholders are used in the models animation it is possible to force said AI to use an animation different than the one that's been replaced.

Okay, so it's an old trick but one I'm just learning. I don't recommend anyone doing the same as it can imprint a user made rez into the retail dll. files. I't isn't hard to fix but it is annoying.

http://gallery.filefront.com/zZaRDoZz//1162404/

This zombie is using the little seen run_with_knife2 animation. Not the best shot in the world granted, you can see he's a little different than the average soul drudge if you look closely though. I should have gotten a side shot.

kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Post by kurt » Jan 27th, 2009, 20:41

I think I may recognize that guy. :wink:

Yeah, you can easily change which animation is played for any state. I once experimented with having the zombies crawl instead of run but they looked even more ridiculous then they normally do. But I thought it was hilarious.

I do like that different weapon POV though and maybe I should consider doing something like that...

zZaRDoZz
The Great Betrayer
The Great Betrayer

Post by zZaRDoZz » Jan 28th, 2009, 22:22

Kurt was right about increasing the S. drudge's speed causing the model to look like it's flying around. I've also replaced his walking animation with attack animation so in addition to everything else it looks like he's having a fit if he's not running.

The upside to all these changes is the most excessively violent zombie ever made for blood 2. Running speed is now quite close to gabbys fastest. Correct me if I'm wrong but an axe zombies speed in blood was exactly the same (1/2) as players walking speed.

While the S. drudge still gets stuck on geometry he's no longer blocked by breakable world objects save for creates. It's quite a change to have the AI smash a bed, table or garbage can if it gets between the two of you.

zZaRDoZz
The Great Betrayer
The Great Betrayer

Post by zZaRDoZz » Jan 31st, 2009, 22:45

This will either work, or it won't.

Last edited by zZaRDoZz on Jan 31st, 2009, 22:52, edited 2 times in total.

zZaRDoZz
The Great Betrayer
The Great Betrayer

Post by zZaRDoZz » Jan 31st, 2009, 22:46

I'm doing something terribly wrong.

Oh that's what I was doing wrong.

zZaRDoZz
The Great Betrayer
The Great Betrayer

creeping cultists!

Post by zZaRDoZz » Feb 7th, 2009, 15:35

The fanatic now creeps everywhere he goes. I doubt it makes him harder to kill per se but he's a tad sneakier without all those taunts and footsteps.

zZaRDoZz
The Great Betrayer
The Great Betrayer

Post by zZaRDoZz » Feb 12th, 2009, 22:05

Nothing photogenic to report on the ongoing experiments with winrez and model edit. Now that I'm toying with milkshape things will probably slow down.
Lately I've learned to add sound commands to model's frame strings. Several of the fanatics' death animations now end in a thud. The mac10 and the beretta now have select sounds.

zZaRDoZz
The Great Betrayer
The Great Betrayer

Post by zZaRDoZz » Feb 19th, 2009, 22:01

Nothing dramatic to report as experiments have slowed. I cannot stand having to work on the 'family" computer as this means an interruption every 20 minutes or so. I'm in the market for an old beat up computer, one with win 98 and a cd burner in order to get work done.

I've begun looking into the issue of bounding boxes. I was hoping against hope that there might be a way to shape a bounding box as to have a stranded AI "slide" off of a bit of geometry should it get stuck. After opening several early lithtech models it would appear that they all use the basic box shape. There was a slight exception to one of the Iwo jima prone models. It had a narrow box at the sides but extended way out in front of the model- almost a full model length in fact- you could get 2 prone models inside that box by the look of things.

zZaRDoZz
The Great Betrayer
The Great Betrayer

Post by zZaRDoZz » Feb 20th, 2009, 00:56

I forgot to mention my first attempt to change a value in the voodoo1.4 lithtech object. Vvega's mod equipped fanatics with sawed off shotguns. I attempted to replace the sawed offs with the combat shotty, to possibly double their firepower without resorting to splash damage weaponry. This ended in failure as the lithtech client refused to recognize the LTO as a valid windows object. I will try that again later. I did double the firing rate of a crouching fanatic by speeding up that particular animation (in model edit, not the LTO). Otherwise no changes to report in my ongoing experiments.