Blood 2 too fast on xp - amd double core cpu

Discussion about Blood II and its addons.
YourAngryExGirlFriend
New user

Blood 2 too fast on xp - amd double core cpu

Post by YourAngryExGirlFriend » Nov 4th, 2008, 13:24

Hi all,
First post here, hope not the last (depending how my personal life allows it :lol:). Warning this is a long thread...
I'm pretty sure that this has been covered somewhere else, but I just couldn't find the right solution, maybe you guys could give me a hint on this.
So, the other day I decided to install some classic Monolith games, among which was Blood2 (retail version with that nice booklet inside) -> v.1.0
Installation went fine and after double clicking on the Blood.exe, yes, the initial problems with Nvidia Graphic Card , but nothing that couldn't be solved through the control panel.
Done with that, the menu & music was finally visible and the adventure was just ready to begin. To my surprise, Blood 2 was way too fast, one click forward and I was at the other end of the carriage in less then a second right at the beginning.
This apparently is a common problem with some "old" games running on double core cpu's like amd.
A few solutions are available:
1. Run Task Manager, search for the application in processes, Affinity and uncheck core 1.
2. Run the Runfirst application - this had worked for me in Painkiller
3. Install amd cual-core optimizer, which I have installed

Unfortunately neither 1 nor 2 works - solution 3 I have no clue how to verify, it is installed when I check on "Currently Installed Programs".

I thought that Runfirst would make everything run properly. I created the Blood2.bat file -> G:\Runfirst.exe G:\BloodII\Blood2.exe (created in notepad and then renamed to bat). But the result is disastrous: on top left of the screen it says sth. like "couldn't find 8 bit map" + additionaly something with the invert axis of the mouse...it makes no sense.
Using Runfirst makes the sound disappear on the menu, I have to say that I can enter the options menu, but when I try to change the display level the game gets an error and closes.

If I click on the Blood.exe shortcut (not the Blood2.bat) all goes smooth, high detail etc...but as explained above...at the speed of light.
I thought that maybe I should un-install the Dual-core optimizer, but I'm not sure if I should, as my pc runs very good now with its current configuration.
My machine has the following components:
- CPU: AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core 4200 Mhz
- Graphics: 8800GT alpha dog edition 512MB G92

I was also thinking that I maybe should install the patches upgrading from v.1 to v.2, but I do not think that this will provide a major change to the "speed" problem....

Anyway, thank you for reading me and sorry for this long post. If anybody has faced this problem or knows how to solve this "issue" a hint is highly appreciated.
Best regards,
Angry Ex

zZaRDoZz
The Great Betrayer
The Great Betrayer

Post by zZaRDoZz » Nov 4th, 2008, 16:56

Your problem is almost certainly due to the duel core setup. Updating b2 to the 1.2 patch is always advisable because of a clipping glitch from hell but I doubt that it is related to what you're seeing. Someone with a modern computer should be along shortly.

Does it do this in software mode? -just curious.

RazTK
New user

Post by RazTK » Nov 4th, 2008, 17:01

How about limiting the FPS?

YourAngryExGirlFriend
New user

Post by YourAngryExGirlFriend » Nov 4th, 2008, 17:25

Hey thanx for answering :roll:

To Zardozz: I will install the patch as soon as I get it running smoothly. I do not quite understand what you mean with software modus...sorry. I only have one modus :shock:

To RazTK : How do I limit the FPS ? Through the autoexec.cfg ? But I doubt that this could be the solution...I'll give it a try later. Even if I would limit it to 30 fps I think that I would be on the other side of the carriage faster than running to the loo having diarrhea :)

I'm currently at work, with no internet at home, in 1h I'll be going home, so I won't be able to answer until tomorrow.

I'll see if I can uninstall the dual core optimizer...maybe that helps...who know.
If you're not now - you never were

zZaRDoZz
The Great Betrayer
The Great Betrayer

Post by zZaRDoZz » Nov 4th, 2008, 18:32

The ability to run the game in software mode should be under the video option on the first menu. Don't bother as it isn't what's wrong with your game. There are software programs out there that can slow a cpu down for older games. Those are usually for DOS games however.

YourAngryExGirlFriend
New user

Post by YourAngryExGirlFriend » Nov 4th, 2008, 19:31

Hi zZardoZz, yes you're right - I thought that Runfirst.exe would do the trick...but *sigh*...it didn't.
Anyway, I'm going to give it again a try at home - gotta run now. C ya!

kurt
.PSD
Location: a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind

Post by kurt » Nov 5th, 2008, 02:11

I think it's interesting that there's one thread here for Blood 2 running too fast and another one for Blood 2 running too slow.

I don't know if it's just me, but I think this game is possibly a little buggy...

YourAngryExGirlFriend
New user

Post by YourAngryExGirlFriend » Nov 5th, 2008, 11:25

Well I can say that I had running B2 on Win98 with no issues at all, I can also say that I had it running on XP perfectly - and I do believe that when it worked under xp i had not installed the amd dual core optimizer. That was in February this year, before I had built my new pc.
You know when you built a new pc you add those little things that you hadn't done before. My pc runs smooth in every sense now and this is the best built I've had so far, stable and quick responding.
I think that the "slow-fast" issue that you point out Kurt, is something hardware related, not game based, but who knows... :wink:
I faced the same "speedy" problems with two games I installed this year - Painkiller & Deus Ex - which could be solved through Runfirst.
I had no time yesterday trying out things at home, but I hope that I can try this week a few things and if it works I'll let you all know :roll:
Take care all,
Angry Ex

Overmind
Still Kicking

Post by Overmind » Feb 1st, 2009, 15:59

Abot the 'too fast problem', there are two good solutions:
1. Limit the number of FPS to 60 (there should be a console command or .cfg option to do it).
2. Make the game use only one core (although it runs fine on a quad too).
[color=#CC0000]I'm here to donate some blood... someone else's ![/color]