Split from Jace's Thread - Random Reactions and Offtopic

Discussion of and directed to Jace Hall's Blood vision.
Damien_Azreal
Pink on the Inside

Re: Greetings to the Blood Community

Post by Damien_Azreal » Aug 5th, 2012, 19:06

RazTK wrote: What? :>
You didn't understand.
Jace did say he would be the one floating the bill of this project. But, he didn't indicate that he needed to raise the money to do so. He's not short on the money to do it, but he's aware he will have to cover the financial obligations.

If Jace did do a Kickstarter for some reason, I would gladly donate. But, that doesn't seem to be the issue here.

RazTK
New user

Post by RazTK » Aug 5th, 2012, 19:13

Damien_Azreal wrote:You didn't understand.
Jace did say he would be the one floating the bill of this project. But, he didn't indicate that he needed to raise the money to do so. He's not short on the money to do it, but he's aware he will have to cover the financial obligations.

If Jace did do a Kickstarter for some reason, I would gladly donate. But, that doesn't seem to be the issue here.
Actually I did understand that. I'm just thinking "Hey, why should he finance this project all on his own?", especially when he's not looking to make any profit off of it.
With this much excitment and support from the community, I think we could find enough people who could gather at least some of the money needed for this. No? Just a thought.
Last edited by RazTK on Aug 5th, 2012, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

Cmon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Cmon » Aug 5th, 2012, 19:15

Save us Jace!

Damien_Azreal
Pink on the Inside

Post by Damien_Azreal » Aug 5th, 2012, 21:26

Monolith is owned by Warner Bros, and as such any decision on what Lith currently work on... comes to them. And in the case of Blood, Atari would have to be consulted as well.
And given that WB just laid off people from Lith (and a couple other Seattle based studios) chances are what Lith works on for a while is going to be pretty tightly controlled by WB.

While I personally would love an Xbox Live port of Blood, that's another discussion for another day.
Right now... Jace bringing Blood to Win7 would be a dream come true.

Gorgepower
New user

Post by Gorgepower » Aug 5th, 2012, 21:34

Sir!

I, like many others here, obviously loved Blood 1 and or 2 enough to post a reply, so obviously there are a good number of people who want to see the games come back to live, JUST like Lo Wang Shadow Warrior and Doom and Duke Nukem (Doom 3 and Duke Forever didn't count). I think my biggest fear is that when any classic game is re-created, just like "new versions" of songs, films, and other media types... money and stupidity seem to become what is important.
When I say money, I mean that unfinished games, or games that offer DLC which should clearly be a part of the game to begin with is released, I usually just wait to buy the game until all DLC has been released for the full price (usually $60) so that I can enjoy the game. Obviously this series has a community that has been supporting it for a long time, so for this point I would only ask that even though others may be able to mod the game or create levels for it, please release it when it is done, not when it is full of bugs and has unfinished story lines.
My second and MUCH bigger concern is the trap that many game developers have been falling into lately, which is the stupidity realm. When I say the stupidity realm, I mean that they assume PC gamers are complete idiots and we enjoy playing games which include quicktime cutscenes and linear boredom as 50% of the content, and that we are not going to see a bad game when we play it. When I play games such as Diablo 3 or Call of Duty, I do not expect a story line. Some times I just want to mash buttons and see blood and guts, but often I want to enjoy SOME extent of character development, story line and F_U_N gameplay, not gameplay that relies on a cover system or fucking bullet time... *face palm*
If you are simply hoping that enough people would enjoy some type of port of Blood 1, such as an updated version using an engine, I am guessing HELL YES is the answer. Most youngsters don't really know about the game, because they have been taught to accept the hyped up piles of console ported *^%@#$ they are provided. I am not sure if you are asking that the game be ported to a graphics engine like Zdoom or GLdoom, or if you are going to recreate it fully in a new game engine like U4 or the new Id-tech (Rage). Either way, as long as you stay true to the game and do not allow corporate greed to take hold I imagine you will do great!
I personally welcome the idea, and just like all the suckers that played Duke Nukem hoping to relive a boot-to-the-face game and those of us who wanted to play Doom again and were disapointed, please sir, please, stay true to the game. I am not saying do not change anything. Change can be a WONDERFUL thing, but do it for the right reasons! 8)

dosgamer000
New user

Post by dosgamer000 » Aug 5th, 2012, 22:11

First of all, I just want to say it's an honor to have a chance to communicate with one of the many people who made the absolutely awesome and unique Blood series! :D Blood has been a very special game to me as it has for everyone else here. Caleb, the gameplay, the unique story, the humor, all of it was just so great and it all came together so well. I've never really saw another game like it. I really don't know what to add to the "dream list" as everyone else here has pretty much said what was on my mind. One thing I'd want to add is that I like the fact that the Doom community has such an active community of modders for new stuff like weapons, enemies, power-ups, and making levels that would not be possible in original Doom using engines like ZDoom for example. All of it was so great and gave Doom lots of replay potential IMO and it would be great if something like that came to Blood. Although, just a good source port for original Blood with modern compatibility and extra things here and there would be VERY much appreciated. :) That alone would probably bring more players to Blood as it would be easier to run and in turn, further increase it's popularity and flow of fan-made content.

Although you are thinking of Blood 1 right now, it would nice if you could keep the future of the Blood franchisee in your thoughts. A Blood 3 would be amazing as I've wanted to see more of the Chosen, Gideon and the Cabal, Tchernobog, and the entire Blood universe as a whole. One of the great things about Blood and Blood 2 is that pretty much anything, or at least most things, can fit in. Sci-fi technology, magic, demonic stuff, you name it. Stephan Weyte is such a great voice talent and it's a shame I don't hear him as often in video games as I'd like. His voice is truly unique, with a sound completely his own. The Caleb character's personality was so interesting as with the other Chosen, I always wanted to see their back story expanded and new enemies and challenges for them to pass. I had a whole list of stuff I thought would work great in Blood 3 and one of them was character specific abilities called Bloodlusts (named after the Blood Alpha beast mode IIRC). Each Chosen has a gauge that fills with each life they take, when it's full you could activate a Bloodlust power. For example, extreme speed for Ophelia or double damage for Caleb.

I apologize if half of this post was off-topic (not talking about Blood 1). Thanks again for taking time to hear the Blood community's thoughts and thank you for keeping Blood alive in your heart! :)
Last edited by dosgamer000 on Aug 11th, 2012, 06:55, edited 2 times in total.

kryt1cal
New user

Post by kryt1cal » Aug 6th, 2012, 18:07

Thank you Jace, many People thank you for that.

Thank you

Anarcy
New user

Post by Anarcy » Aug 6th, 2012, 23:26

I just heard the news and registered only to say that even people in Germany are anxious to see an updated version of blood!

Wrim
New user

Post by Wrim » Aug 7th, 2012, 01:10

Please, please, PLEASE make a Kickstarter project out of this.
I will donate my kidneys and my firstborn to make this a reality.

Spaulding
New user

Post by Spaulding » Aug 7th, 2012, 17:04

That would be awesome. I play video games since 1991 and blood is my all time favorite. Everything is just perfect, sound, music, level design and so on. I have never had so much fun again in a multiplayer game as i had in blood back in 1997.

Bought it from GMG last year because i couldnt manage my original cd version to work with dosbox, but its too difficult to get the multiplayer to work with it. Perhaps you could fund the project with http://www.kickstarter.com/ or something like that. I would emmediately spend money on that project.

Even the game is banned in germany, many magazines reported on your thread here. That shwos the game is still known and famous. I bet blood with a working multiplayer on steam for 10 dollars would be easy to sell, with slightly improved garphics it would even sell like hotcakes.

PopeJamal
New user

Post by PopeJamal » Aug 7th, 2012, 18:58

I registered this account specifically to say "Please" and "Thank You". A new old Blood would be awesome!

Tiddalick
New user

Post by Tiddalick » Aug 8th, 2012, 01:11

Hello Jace,

Excited about what you achieve with the game!

However, echoing the thoughts of Nightmares and others, perhaps buying the rights is the way to go.
I am sure that if you started a Kickstarter campaign then you would draw massive support.
If the money raised was used to buy the rights (which you would then hold personally) then the source could be released and you could have some money to pay for whatever work you originally set out to do.

I have no idea how much the license would cost, but given the age of the IP, maybe its achievable.
Additionally, this would increase the number of people interested in project.

bouvrie
New user

Re: Split from Jace's Thread - Random Reactions and Offtopic

Post by bouvrie » Aug 8th, 2012, 13:09

Another Blood fan here, really excited about this news!
JaceHall wrote: I think it would good for the community to beging to create a "dream list" of all the things that they would hope for with Blood.
Perhaps for people not familiar with ZBlood, it's a mod for ZDoom that relives the Blood game while adding some more features and functionality. Perhaps some of its aspects could be a source for such a 'dream list'? :)

More information on ZBlood can be found on http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/ZBlood , but the official page mentioned there seems to have expired. The creators can probably be found on the ZDoom forum, if need be.

PS. Perhaps a tad bit more offtopic, but judging from the number of 1-poster accounts on this forum now, I think it's safe to say people are excited about seeing a Blood comeback, registering specifically after Jace's 'announcement' thread. :)

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Re: Split from Jace's Thread - Random Reactions and Offtopic

Post by Dimebog » Aug 8th, 2012, 17:29

bouvrie wrote:Perhaps some of its aspects could be a source for such a 'dream list'? :)
Hopefully not in a million years.
bouvrie wrote:PS. Perhaps a tad bit more offtopic, but judging from the number of 1-poster accounts on this forum now, I think it's safe to say people are excited about seeing a Blood comeback, registering specifically after Jace's 'announcement' thread. :)
On the contrary, that was actually kinda on topic.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Winkyboy
New user

Post by Winkyboy » Aug 8th, 2012, 19:26

Quickly chiming in here, I'm down with ANY kind of Blood based on the original. OMGYES. Put a Kickstarter out there and I'll back it, too! :)