ZBloodBath - My introduction, videos, info etc

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Hasuak
New user

ZBloodBath - My introduction, videos, info etc

Post by Hasuak » Apr 27th, 2008, 19:55

Hiya, fellow people of Postmortem!

Here comes the ZBloodBath thread at last. But before I'll start telling about it, I should tell something about myself, I guess.

Well, my name is Sami Mäläskä and I live in Finland. I've been making maps and mods for Z/GZDoom engine for few years now. My friend introduced me to the world of Blood games last summer and I completely fell in love with it.

So, after completing the first Blood few times and Blood 2 once, I got interested into modding for this engine. My dreams were crushed after realizing that Blood's source code was/will never be released. But I didn't give up on my dreams. I felt sorry for people who wasn't able to play the game on XP, so then I got an idea of turning Blood on Doom engine. Don't get me wrong on this. ZBlood was horrible. It really was.

After about four months of coding, my GZBlood was almost done and ready for mapping. I don't know why, but I got bored on the idea of whole Blood for few months after all the work. Now, after two months of pause on the project, I decided to make GZDoom on ZDoom engine and only BloodBath, because I've never played it. My friend asked if I needed help on mapping and of course. I couldn't make everything by myself, so his help was really needed and appereciated (is that a real word?).

So, well, here it is. ZBloodBath. It's not yet released because there's really many bugs here and there. And my english sucks.

Whatever, just watch these videos and then scroll down for information what's done and what's not, what's possible and so on..

This video is recorded about a month ago with my friend who helps on mapping (even though the Jewtube says 15 of April):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZGgx7cOyCA

These two were recorded today in botmatch of 4 players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKztYJtmLoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcWtHxXeecA

So, what's done and what needs more work?

Caleb: He's ready to rock. Jumping heights, deaths and sounds are done.

Pitchfork: Still needs work on exactly four hits.

Flare Gun: Flares sometimes stays in air and doesn't stick in poor calebs rotten flesh. I don't know why they does that. I'll look into it later.

Shotgun: Both firing modes and reload system done.

Tommy gun: Both firing modes ready to rock!

Napalm Cannon: Both fires done. Altfire is still a little too powerful.

Dynamites: I couldn't make the hold and throw system from Blood, so it simply throws the dynamite when you press fire button. Altfire throws a bouncy one.

Spray Can: You can spray to set players alight, set the bottle on fire and then either throw it or drop it on ground. And of course, it explodes in your hands if you don't throw it in time ;)

Tesla: Projectiles needs a little work and requires that sparkling shoot effect when hit on player.

Life Leech: Couldn't make it to use player's health, so first fire mode shoots normal burst of projectiles with cost of Trapped souls and altfire shoots faster projectiles with double speed with cost of your life AND souls.

Voodoo doll: Basic fire needs to be adjusted so it doesn't need player to be exactly in player's crosshair to be shot. When player is killed with it, he/she goes to the infamous "Finish Him" state :D

There isn't level props done yet, tho. Just worked on player and weapons.

So, you liked it? Disliked it? It sucked horribly? You loved it more than your momma and penor? Lemme know! Ask away!

Thanks for reading!

Sir Seizhak
Pink on the Inside

Post by Sir Seizhak » Apr 27th, 2008, 20:32

It's a good proyect but it is difficult "simulate" the entrie game in GZDoom (your GZBlood). You will need patience and perseverance. But, man, it a very advanced project (its possible to hear the midis, the correct operation of the weapons (save exceptions), the structure of maps, the new textures... If you work hard you will be able to obtain a decent source-port.

I watched the videos. It looks very nice and it promise a lot of. I am impressed by the effects of the weapons, they resemble a lot to the original game.

On the other hand, I don't know why somebody has not utilized the motor BUILD for SHADOW WARRIOR. It would be more easy... I believe :roll:
Cabal's Return Add-On. Wait for it.

BloodHispano. The best Spanish Blood website!

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Apr 27th, 2008, 20:42

Hello Hasuak, glad to finally see you posting here. As I already told you, I think your project has allot of potential, and I'm glad that someone's finally trying to do something new and fresh rather than a some half-arsed BLOOD TC, with failed attempts at level reconstruction and Doom stuff all over.

Keep up the good work, and try to preserve BLOOD's spirit and feel through the new content and constraints of the engine. Keep us updated!
EPN wrote:On the other hand, I don't know why somebody has not utilized the motor BUILD for SHADOW WARRIOR. It would be more easy... I believe :roll:
No it wouldn't. And it's not the topic either. What should or shouldn't had been tried, has been said one too many times already.
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Hasuak
New user

Post by Hasuak » Apr 27th, 2008, 21:44

Thanks for replies, guys!

About that Shadow Warrior. There is a port called JFShadow Warrior or something like that, to get it working on XP, so why making a TC then? :)

I'm making this BLOOD project because not everyone can play it on their computers. Tryin' to get this game six feet upwards, ready to pitchfork these new, so called 'good' games.

Damien_Azreal
Pink on the Inside

Post by Damien_Azreal » Apr 27th, 2008, 21:53

Yes, JFShadowWarrior is Jonof's port for SW using the source code 3DRealms released a few years ago.

There's a small HRP (High Res Pack) in the works for it at the 3DRealms forums. But until the Dn3D HRP is finished, the SW HRP will have slow progress at best.

Also, this is some nice work as well. BloodBath was one of the few online deathmatches I actually played. Good to see it still going in it's own way.
Last edited by Damien_Azreal on Apr 27th, 2008, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Apr 27th, 2008, 22:20

I'd be a liar if i said i'm not shedding tears of joy inside whilst watching this promising creation. Seriously it's a joy to the soul to see one doing every possible effort to extend Blood's life. The weapons overall are very well done despite the limations of not working on the build engine, the only complaint would be the spray can seems a tad powerful. Absolutely loving the sound of one's life blood spilt against the snowy surface.

I see that the project is for GZDoom ofcourse although it appears it plays under Skulltag, that makes me wonder will the project be compatible with Skulltag? Bloody brilliant if that's the case. Keep up the great work, i understand your purpose of recreating Bloodbath. Not being born in Blood's time period hurts me greatly, i was unable to experience Bloodbath in it's full glory back in the day.

Finally your English is pretty damn good if you ask me and don't worry about it i have sympathy for you seeing as english wasn't your first language.

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Apr 27th, 2008, 23:01

Damien_Azreal wrote:There is a member at 3DRealms named M210 who's working on creating a Total Conversion for EDuke32. He's looking to remake Blood... episode for episode in the EDuke engine... which would make it simply a DN3D TC. He's posted some promising screens at the 3DR and Monolith forums.
The project is not promising because of at least three reasons:

1. Recreating BLOOD's levels in eDuke32 is impossible but they don't understand it yet.
2. They are using Duke's palette so everything looks like shit.
3. It's made by Russians.

That's also not the topic here, again.

@Krypto:
Those vids were recorded in Skulltag!
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Bruce777999
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bruce777999 » Apr 27th, 2008, 23:05

Dimebog wrote:
Damien_Azreal wrote:There is a member at 3DRealms named M210 who's working on creating a Total Conversion for EDuke32. He's looking to remake Blood... episode for episode in the EDuke engine... which would make it simply a DN3D TC. He's posted some promising screens at the 3DR and Monolith forums.
The project is not promising because of at least three reasons:

1. Recreating BLOOD's levels in eDuke32 is impossible but they don't understand it yet.
2. They are using Duke's palette so everything looks like shit.
3. It's made by Russians.

That's also not the topic here, again.

@Krypto:
Those vids were recorded in Skulltag!
bahahahaha - so true :D

@Hasuak - great work!!!
A BloodDoomHybrid - hope we don't suffer a smug alert 8)

Hasuak
New user

Post by Hasuak » Apr 28th, 2008, 00:54

Oh, you! I think there is something wet coming down my eyesocket right now...

Oh... It was my eye. brb

---

Allright, it's there. Hard to move it, tho. Had to glue it back.

Um, just to remind you people. This is made in ZDoom engine. Not GZDoom. There is just slight differences between those. GZDoom supports real 3d floors, dynamic lights and MD2 or MD3 models. Otherwise, they are pretty same.

Oh and of course, GZDoom supports OpenGL rendering.

Tomorrow I'll see what to do with that flare gun. If I don't get the flare to stick on players, I gotta use the same technique what guys from Transfusion used. So the flare just sets player on fire.

Those are the times I'm hoping to be able to use dynamic lights.

And btw, when this project is complete and if people likes to play it, I'll consider on starting to make a new single player episode, following Caleb's (or Ishmaels) life from where Blood ended.

Whatever, I'm off to sleep now, I guess. Thanks for kind words and stay tuned for possible beta testing with Posty people!