Remaking Blood

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Icarus
New user

Remaking Blood

Post by Icarus » Dec 2nd, 2007, 22:17

As many of you know, Blood's source code has not been released, making it extremely difficult to play under windows XP.(unless something came up that i dont know about) So... i sugest remaking Blood. Now, i am aware that its ALOT easyer said than done, but as many of you know, Half-Life 2 has released its source code, making it a simpler process to mod. Has anyone considered using the source engin to re-make Blood? I know some of you don't like the idea of using Half-Life 2's engin(u know who you are...) but i think it would be worth it to have Blood in great graphics and workable on not only Windows XP but also Windows Vista.

Just a thought....

Spill Blood. Lots of Blood!!!

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Dec 2nd, 2007, 23:02

I don't know... maybe it's just me but what is the point? (besides compatibility).

Too much lost in translation...
It could be cool too, who knows.

But who will do it?
LOL HI!

DustyStyx
Still Kicking

Re: Remaking Blood

Post by DustyStyx » Dec 2nd, 2007, 23:09

Icarus wrote:Has anyone considered using the source engin to re-make Blood?
Of those who have publicly suggested it, you are the fourth by my count.

Requiem
Lightly Broiled

Post by Requiem » Dec 2nd, 2007, 23:15

A challenger appears!
[quote="Umnir"]The final boss of HL.. It's like running on sharp glass, acid raining on you while there's two pineapples in your ass sideways and bulldogs are trying to eat your balls.[/quote]

Vuzeth
Pink on the Inside

Post by Vuzeth » Dec 2nd, 2007, 23:21

DustyStyx wrote:
I bet you didn't read the russian forum. 3-4 of them if I remember correctly, maybe more as I wasn't here all time. So about 10 people. :)

Even I suggested it, because I don't see any better way to re-create Blood.
Last edited by Vuzeth on Dec 2nd, 2007, 23:32, edited 2 times in total.
AKA Ghoste

Requiem
Lightly Broiled

Post by Requiem » Dec 2nd, 2007, 23:24

Ghoste wrote:
DustyStyx wrote:
I bet you didn't read the russian forum. 3-4 of them if I remember correctly, maybe more as I wasn't here all time. So about 10 people. :)

Even I suggested it, because I don't see any better way to re-create Blood.
I suggested a sequel for HL1 once, what was I thinking? :lol:
[quote="Umnir"]The final boss of HL.. It's like running on sharp glass, acid raining on you while there's two pineapples in your ass sideways and bulldogs are trying to eat your balls.[/quote]

DustyStyx
Still Kicking

Post by DustyStyx » Dec 3rd, 2007, 00:53

Ghoste: No I don't read Russian and the intraweb translators suck. I was only stating "by my count"

Requiem: Posty actually had a HLBlood initiative once upon a time. Notice the link mid-left?

Umnir's comment still stands. Who would do it?

If you want to do something productive, start a creative commons licensed database of models/textures/maps etc. based on the subject matter found in Blood. Then anyone could use the materials for any recreation they are keen on. It would have the added bonus of not withering away when Steam pulls some kind of DRM crap in the future.

Requiem
Lightly Broiled

Post by Requiem » Dec 5th, 2007, 15:56

Haha, I'd never have had Daedalon down to contributing to such blasphemy :lol:

My 2 $ about this, remaking Blood for Source = no. Why? For the following reasons:
  1. Source engine content is expected to be high quality, if you want to be noticed you have to really push the detail. HL1 is a much better engine for the task as you can make something that will look miles better than Blood 2 but wont take a rediculous amount of time to produce but just like Source, people need the game first in order to play it.
  2. I don't know if you've noticed but Blood is rather big! There' are 34 maps, remaking all of those for Source would be a stupidly massive task, almost impossible unless you were prepared to spend 4 years on them, by which time even Crysis will start to look old...
  3. Producing the same kind of gameplay Blood envokes on the Source engine is impossible, Blood can handle a fair amount of enemies on-screen at once (y'know, due to being sprites and all), if you were to do the same, having 6 highly detailed cultist models on screen would produce about 15fps if you're lucky! Sure, lots of people have big swanky computers that can handle the workload but most hardcore Blood players don't.
At the end of the day, I have Blood, I don't need another one but the Transfusion guys are going the right way, producing a remake for an open-source engine means that anyone can download it and they wont need another game to run it, if you want to remake Blood, go and help the Transfusion guys out :twisted:

Note: This is the fifth time the list function has been used on Posty.

RiffRaff1138
New user

Post by RiffRaff1138 » Dec 7th, 2007, 01:44

I've been thinking of trying to remake Redneck Rampage for Goldsource, but I know I'm never going to do it. Hadn't thought about Blood.
[i]Why can't people just be nice?[/i]

Nathan Deringer
Pink on the Inside

Post by Nathan Deringer » Jan 18th, 2008, 16:35

This is so not happening.

If someone ever needs a pixel artist (not a PSP kind of artist) for a small but serious project, drop me a line.

Bruce777999
Pink on the Inside

Post by Bruce777999 » Jan 21st, 2008, 17:28

Such an ordeal takes HUGE amounts of time - pretty unlikely to happen in our busy world.

Vuzeth
Pink on the Inside

Post by Vuzeth » Jan 23rd, 2008, 15:56

Through it's pretty unlikely, someone might be working on it.. to rush it on our heads.
At least, if I was on it, I won't be sharing a bit until it's done.
AKA Ghoste