James 'Shade' Wilson or Craig 'Croweater' Hubbard?

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

James 'Shade' Wilson or Craig 'Croweater' Hubbard?

Post by wangho » Nov 25th, 2007, 20:43

These two guys are the main level designers of the original Blood episodes as you may well know. The differences between the two that I can tell is that Craig used alot of really dark shading in alot of his maps. James seemed to make his maps more colorful and fun. James also made more of my personal favorite maps (Dark Carnival, House Of Horrors, The Haunting, Bowels Of The Earth) Here's the author credits of each map...

The Way of All Flesh

[e1m1]
Title = Cradle to Grave
Author = James "Shade" Wilson

[e1m2]
Title = Wrong Side of the Tracks
Author = Craig Hubbard [Croweater]

[e1m3]
Title = Phantom Express
Author = James Wilson

[e1m4]
Title = Dark Carnival
Author = Kevin Kilstrom & James Wilson

[e1m5]
Title = Hallowed Grounds
Author = Craig Hubbard, Nick Newhard, & Terry Hamel

[e1m6]
Title = The Great Temple
Author = James Wilson & Terry Hamel

[e1m7]
Title = Altar of Stone
Author = James Wilson

[e1m8]
Title = House of Horrors
Author = James Wilson

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;Episode 2
;Even Death May Die

[e2m1]
Title = Shipwrecked
Author = Craig Hubbard

[e2m2]
Title = The Lumber Mill
Author = Craig Hubbard

[e2m3]
Title = Rest for the Wicked
Authors = Kevin Kilstrom & Craig Hubbard

[e2m4]
Title = The Overlooked Hotel
Author = Kevin Kilstrom & Craig Hubbard

[e2m5]
Title = The Haunting
Author = James Wilson & Kevin Kilstrom

[e2m6]
Title = The Cold Rush
Author = James Wilson

[e2m7]
Title = Bowels of the Earth
Author = James Wilson

[e2m8]
Title = The Lair of Shial
Author = James Wilson

[e2m9]
Title = Thin Ice
Author = James Wilson

;Episode 3
;Farewell to Arms

[e3m1]
Title = Ghost Town
Author = James Wilson

[e3m2]
Title = The Siege
Author = Craig Hubbard & Terry Hamel

[e3m3]
Title = Raw Sewage
Author = James Wilson

[e3m4]
Title = The Sick Ward
Author = Craig Hubbard & James Wilson

[e3m5]
Title = Spare Parts
Author = James Wilson & Craig Hubbard

[e3m6]
Title = Monster Bait

[e3m7]
Title = The Pit of Cerberus
Author = Craig Hubbard

[e3m8]
Title = Catacombs
Author = James Wilson & Craig Hubbard

;Episode 4
;Dead Reckoning

[e4m1]
Title = Butchery Loves Company
Author = James Wilson

[e4m2]
Title = Breeding Grounds
Author = James Wilson, Craig Hubbard, and Terry Hamel

[e4m3]
Title = Charnel House

[e4m4]
Title = Crystal Lake

[e4m5]
Title = Fire and Brimstone
Author = James Wilson

[e4m6]
Title = The Ganglion Depths

[e4m7]
Title = In the Flesh

[e4m8]
Title = The Hall of the Epiphany
Author = Craig Hubbard

[e4m9]
Title = Mall of the Dead
Author = Craig Hubbard

Can anybody pick out the differences between the two authors and can you tell when youre playing a 'Shade' map or a 'Croweater' map?

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Nov 27th, 2007, 21:46

Yes, I can easily tell the difference between the two. James gives Blood its arcade effect -- his levels tend to be more direct and action-based. His lighting is much more soft and his architecture far bolder. Craig's maps are more pensive and surreal at times with, as you pointed out, a lot of steady variations in lighting and sometimes nonsensical lighting altogether. The dead give-away, however, is Craig's architecture style, which is highly rectangular and frequently brave with its large scales and high ceilings and doors.

Who's better of the two? Heavens, no! It is the balancing act between them that is Blood's pride. James is Blood's heart -- without it, the game would feel inactive, adventure-based and lifeless, while Craig is its soul -- in skipping it, Blood would be confined to a largely simple shooter with horror tones and be largely confined to mundane earth and reality.

It is in this dichotomy that Blood's immortality is found -- this balance of elements is that which makes it excel. One must never forget this lesson that Blood teaches so masterfully. All this, in tandem, allows Blood to perform its marvellous tight-rope walk with head bowed and shoulders wide, always on the brink of madness, but never faltering or straying too far.

Blood is your life source.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » Nov 28th, 2007, 06:18

Daedalus wrote:Yes, I can easily tell the difference between the two. James gives Blood its arcade effect -- his levels tend to be more direct and action-based. His lighting is much more soft and his architecture far bolder. Craig's maps are more pensive and surreal at times with, as you pointed out, a lot of steady variations in lighting and sometimes nonsensical lighting altogether. The dead give-away, however, is Craig's architecture style, which is highly rectangular and frequently brave with its large scales and high ceilings and doors.

Who's better of the two? Heavens, no! It is the balancing act between them that is Blood's pride. James is Blood's heart -- without it, the game would feel inactive, adventure-based and lifeless, while Craig is its soul -- in skipping it, Blood would be confined to a largely simple shooter with horror tones and be largely confined to mundane earth and reality.

It is in this dichotomy that Blood's immortality is found -- this balance of elements is that which makes it excel. One must never forget this lesson that Blood teaches so masterfully. All this, in tandem, allows Blood to perform its marvellous tight-rope walk with head bowed and shoulders wide, always on the brink of madness, but never faltering or straying too far.

Blood is your life source.
Very well said, and thinking about the maps, I agree on every point. I see what you mean about Craig giving Blood it's soul and the surreal feeling. I've noticed he was really fond of cool secrets and secret passages. His maps 'Shipwrecked' and 'Wrong Side' both especially have this special surreal atmosphere about them. They both work in tandem just like you say and play off of each other like no other team.

James is more to the point and maybe a bit structurally less brilliant than Craig, but architecturally more adventurous. Craig's Overlooked Hotel is a bit of a wonder..

I wonder what Kevin Kilstrom and Terry Hamel are responsible for? Was editing their main jobs with Monolith?

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » Nov 30th, 2007, 15:21

the great Blood community known as Daedalus..

Vuzeth
Pink on the Inside

Post by Vuzeth » Nov 30th, 2007, 15:42

It seems your list misses some important information.

;Episode 6
;Civilian Life

[e6m1]
Title = Welcome to Your Life
Author = James Wilson
Song = cblood4
Track = 9
EndingA = 2
EndingB = 2

[e6m2]
Title = They Are Here
Author = Craig Hubbard
Song = cblood3
Track = 9
EndingA = 3
EndingB = 3

[e6m3]
Title = Public Storage
Author = James Wilson
Song = cblood5
Track = 5
EndingA = 4
EndingB = 4

[e6m4]
Title = Aqueducts
Author = James Wilson & Nick Newhard
Song = cblood1
Track = 9
EndingA = 5
EndingB = 5
Message1 = Power restored.

[e6m5]
Title = The Ruined Temple
Song = cblood7
Track = 6
EndingA = 6
EndingB = 6

[e6m6]
Title = Forbidden Rituals
Author = James Wilson & Kevin Kilstrom
Song = cblood10
Track = 8
EndingA = 7
EndingB = 9

[e6m7]
Title = The Dungeon
Author = James Wilson & Nick Newhard
Song = cblood2
Track = 7
EndingA = 8
EndingB = 8
Lockmessage = You must complete the sequence to open this door.
Message1 = Part one of three in the sequence has been completed.
Message2 = Part two of three in the sequence has been completed.
Message3 = Final part completed. A door has opened.

[e6m8]
Title = Beauty and the Beast
Author = Nick Neward & James Wilson
Song = cblood6
Track = 6

[e6m9]
Title = Forgotten Catacombs
Author = Nick Newhard & James Wilson
Song = cblood3
Track = 9
EndingA = 7
EndingB = 7

Never knew it was originally named 'Civilian Life'. :?
AKA Ghoste

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Nov 30th, 2007, 15:51

Well, we already had a discussion about that. In my eyes James is the one who brings realism and visual sexiness and Craig is the one who brings surrealism and chaos into the game.

James is Water and Earth - focused and masterful level design that deploys almost every possible Mapediting trick, concrete action and true-to-life arhitecture. Wilson's levels are less linear.

Craig is Air and Fire, conceptual level design, surreal texturing, surreal lighting, explosion of ideas. Craig's levels are more linear.

Finally, James is the one who gives BLOOD it's subtlety (E1M1) and Craig is the one who brings BLOOD it's grittiness (E1M2, E3M2). I myself slightly more prefer the grittiness of BLOOD but I can't deny the subtle aspects that actually suck you into the game in the first place. We were all charmed with the very first level.

In the end, some of the best levels are ones that they both worked on. Like The Sick Ward (E3M4).
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Nov 30th, 2007, 15:54

wangho wrote:the great Blood community known as Daedalus..
That's okay. There's plenty of me to go around.

We are Daedalus, we are Icarus. The barriers between us have disintegrated and we have become... shadows of ourselves, but we could be more. If we join with you.
Ghoste wrote:Never knew it was originally named 'Civilian Life'. :?
You found a secret!
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand