Alpha Blood

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Alpha Blood

Post by wangho » Nov 5th, 2007, 06:02

anybody know how to calibrate the keyboard controls for Alpha Blood? I can never get too far because of not being able to strafe

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Nov 5th, 2007, 13:32

No, but I know some of the keys, if you want. I got the thing working a few years ago, but just barely, haha.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Post by wangho » Nov 5th, 2007, 22:55

what keys are used for the strafing? Its been awhile since I've booted it up. Firing and opening doors is no problem. Do you know which key is used to use an item? How many maps are there anyway?

mouth
Lightly Broiled

Post by mouth » Nov 6th, 2007, 11:56

If I were to guess (can't try it out right now), the keys are probably the standard old skool fps keys.
Arrow keys to move
CTRL to fire
SPACE to open
ALT + arrow keys to strafe
hold SHIT to run/walk
I could be wrong though, since this is alpha and all, but try these out.
Long live the new flesh!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Nov 6th, 2007, 15:20

Hm, I never did find out how to strafe in Alpha. Maybe that holding alt+arrow keys thing will work.

Some interesting buttons include 'x', when holding the pitchfork. Spam that shit! Also, '[' and ']' I think. I won't say what they do, but hold them in to travel to another world. :D

As for the maps, I think I got stuck on level four or something. I don't know. There's some weird shit.
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

mouth
Lightly Broiled

Post by mouth » Nov 6th, 2007, 17:18

I doubt you can finish all the alpha levels :lol:
Long live the new flesh!

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Nov 6th, 2007, 17:43

mouth wrote:I doubt you can finish all the alpha levels :lol:
I think some don't even have endings! :lol:

Umnir
Half-homie

Post by Umnir » Nov 23rd, 2007, 00:17

How is alpha blood btw? Care to post any screenies?
LOL HI!

Daedolon
Supervillain outcast

Post by Daedolon » Nov 23rd, 2007, 00:18

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Nov 25th, 2007, 13:25

mouth wrote:I doubt you can finish all the alpha levels :lol:
Greetings fellow bloodites, for those of you who remember me i was a cheery active fellow of the Blood community (I took the oppurtunity to write a more detailed guide on running Blood on what is now known as the evil VDM when compared to Dosbox :roll:) sorry for the five month gap it seems, The Dreaming One banished me to a dark tomb never to enjoy the pleasures of Blood again. But now i have returned! and ready to enjoy Blood once again to it's full extent (That is with a little Dosbox tweaking, what was that Dimebog you said about the CPU Clock affecting what res you can run Blood at?)

It's great to see most of you still enjoying Blood today what with the Blood Coop games i've been seeing and the glorious release of RATM Episode 1 :D which i will get started right away, and if anyone's looking for a game of Blood just shoot me a pm and i'll get on Hamachi right away. Now that my hijacking of the thread is over (My sincerest apologies Matt :lol:) i'll get right to the topic.

Yes it isn't actually possible to finish Alpha Blood, i reached the 3rd or 4th level (my memory fails me) you start on a cliff, walking up you see a gate which cannnot be opened. Overlooking the cliff is water, now you'd assume water is a liquid but no! Alpha Blood defies the laws of physics it was solid when i jumped in seeing as there was nowhere else to go. After picking up what appears to be the Tesla cannon but really is a Harpoon Gun, i flicked a switch which opened up an alcove to my left. I assume you had to swim up to reach the next area but since this isn't possible my journey through Alpha Blood finally reached it's end. What an interesting insight into Blood's early development :)

Oh and sorry for the wall of text, i always get carried away :?

DustyStyx
Still Kicking

Post by DustyStyx » Nov 26th, 2007, 01:28

WB Krypto

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » May 22nd, 2008, 12:12

Took to prowling Deathmask.net yesterday and came across these intriguing shots.

An internal shot of the Monolith team testing out BloodBath. Could this be a more advanced build of Blood Beta since it carries the original HUD and not that awkard RPG styled one seen in Alpha?

An interesting look into the foundations for "The Great Temple". From the blue bar in the bottem left hand corner i'd assume Monolith at one point intended Blood to have Magic, or this is merely another method at recording ammo. Not sure about the face :?

The infamous star of "The Way of All Flesh" for creating the illusion of a moving train. However we see a shot of Caleb off the train, meaning this is probably an early development shot before this illusion was implanted.

And Finally a shot of the old Blood logo depicting a skull bat with a zombie about to rise from the Earth. Notice the 3D Realms logo in the corner, Blood was originally going to be developed by 3D Realms however they passed it on to Q Studios which became Monolith i believe. Feel free to correct me or even shed some new light on the matter.

For the curious here's the directory where i came across these beauties.
http://gila.deathmask.net/blood/

Stay Fresh :)

NAto
Well Done

Post by NAto » May 22nd, 2008, 15:19

Interesting stuff... I actually quite like that old logo, reminds me of Evil Dead somewhat.

Ella
Restraint Resistant

Post by Ella » May 22nd, 2008, 19:43

Krypto wrote:Not sure about the face :?
The only conclusion i can come to with that image is that it's a pre Caleb? (Though obviously different in character as it seems, i wouldn't think he would be called 'Caleb' at the time of development, but then again in any first stage development the story is created in mix with the theme, so i suppose it's a heads or tails thing...) I'm not really sure and know nothing on the alpha/beta, but it's pretty interesting to say the least. It's as if they gained the idea from Doom, though obviously i can't really judge whether it's a static face or animated to pain and what not.

Shadowman
The Posty Baby

Post by Shadowman » May 23rd, 2008, 02:57

It looks like it would've worked like any other face in FPS games. He looks like an asylum escapee in that, though.
Achievement Unlocked: <3*
(Since returned to Daedalus.)
Achievement Unlocked: Kickass Chaos Avatar by Ella.

Achievement Unlocked: Best Insult Ever