Blood Map Reviews

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
wangho
Well Done
Location: Over here, over there, yonder, aways, sometimes nowhere.

Blood Map Reviews

Post by wangho » Oct 31st, 2006, 11:27

long-time Blood fan and lurker at some of the Blood forumd around here. I've noticed that people are still making maps and add-ons for this most awesome game and I've been collecting maps for years. Why don't we review some of these maps that have been rotting away in cyber-space for all these years?? I know many of the maps are crap, but there are some real gems in the lot. To sort through the mess, I was thinking we could review random maps, to give our thoughts and to let each other know what the good stuff is.

Fullmoon.map

Map Type : Single Player Map
Title : Fullmoon
Date : 24.03.2001
Author : Michael J. Ox

Description : It is a warm summer night. You are walking alone through a
dark wood when you suddenly brake into the ground. You land in a hidden
temple structure of the cultists. Will the fullmoon spend you enough light
to find all secrets and kill all enemies?

My Review:

This is a pretty decent map. There are no new monsters, graphics, or music or anything like that. In fact, there is no music in this map at all. There is nothing too fancy about the map, but there is pretty decent gameplay involved. Michael throws alot of zombies at you, so if you enjoy killing zombies, this is for you! Aside from having no music, this map is lacking alot of ambient noises. This map is a challenge with the amount of enemies coming your way, but luckily, there is plenty of ammo to go around. When you first start the map, you'll only acquire the flare gun and shotgun for a good duration of the map, which is a sign that the author planned things out a bit. So, pretty decent map here with some pretty fun gameplay, but nothing fancy at all. Level design is decent. I give this map a 7.5/10

get it here...http://members.fortunecity.com/gamelead ... d/map.html
Last edited by wangho on Oct 31st, 2006, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Oct 31st, 2006, 18:16

Doesn't sound to bad, as long as you don't review maps that belong in the screaming pits of hell *cough*Blood Chronicles*cough* :wink: I've got this lot to play through http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l244/ ... isodes.jpg

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » Oct 31st, 2006, 21:33

Krypto wrote:Doesn't sound to bad, as long as you don't review maps that belong in the screaming pits of hell *cough*Blood Chronicles*cough* :wink: I've got this lot to play through http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l244/ ... isodes.jpg
nah, im going for the obscure and not well-known maps. The total crap maps I probablly won't review.

You haven't played through those add-ons? Most of those are fantastic with Banzai, Inherit The Earth, and Bloodlines being my favorites. Hostile Takeover is one that I need to actually revisit, because I don't remember much about it at all.

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Nov 1st, 2006, 01:22

Haha. Love Blood's continual topic cycles. Pretty whacky.

I remember FullMoon and actually had contact with the designer for a while. Quite a fun map, I recall. But I think I have some notoriousness (sounds like incorrect english, doesn't it?) about my review methods and manners. :)
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » Nov 1st, 2006, 01:48

Daedalus wrote:Haha. Love Blood's continual topic cycles. Pretty whacky.

I remember FullMoon and actually had contact with the designer for a while. Quite a fun map, I recall. But I think I have some notoriousness (sounds like incorrect english, doesn't it?) about my review methods and manners. :)
The main thing Fullmoon is lacking is atmosphere and variety in level design, that's what I look for in a Blood map

where are all of your reviews? It'd be cool to put all these reviews together in one database or thread. I need your Sin campaign to check out Daedalus. What are your fave usermaps (non-addon?)?

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Nov 1st, 2006, 04:00

Well, first off, well met to you, mister Wangho. Welcome to the Postmortem. Hope you enjoy your stay in our comfortable, haunted resort.

I consider myself something of a wise-ass on this topic and I think I've played almost every Blood map out there. Even the really obscure ones. There might be some Russian stuff I haven't seen, though. I've been through the reportedly best and worst of them.

I've contributed a lot of info to this site and some of the information I've collected isn't available/uploaded. Most of it being user map ratings. About a year or two ago I went through what must've been at least 200 maps! They varied from 'fun' to 'very good' to 'slamming own face on desk bad'. I ask for your sympathy for my reviews being short, as there were so many and there's so much trash out there. If you like, I could flood this topic with those reviews, but I do hope you like reading if that's to be the case. :P

I'll post my review on FullMoon here, just for enrichment. Let me dig through my archive here... ah yes. Here we go:

-------------------------
Map name : Fullmoon

fullmoon.zip

Author : Michael J. Ox

2001/03/25

A nice, clean level where the designer took no chances. =-) It's well made, but there is a lack of ambient sound and, maybe it's just me, but the level is a bit boring and repetative.

Architecture : 6.5

Atmosphere : 5.5

Shading : 8
-------------------------

... and trust me. That's a great review, coming from me. :wink:

Anyway. Moving onto your next question. In my very early days of editing there were a few maps that I really liked and looked up to. They might seem a bit simple these days, but here are some old friends:

- gitit
- newcult
- ancient (which was included in a level pack of sorts)
- hellwar

That's all that comes to mind. As much as I'd like to help you with my old 'Sin Campaign', I don't own it at present. :lol:

Good day to you!
Kazashi wrote:Daedalus, I don't care how much you know about Blood, your attitude has to change.
Blood + Focus = Love · Faith is the key · Heretics and traitors cannot stand before us · Some games are self-perpetuating - Blood requires conscientious communal effort to survive · We are the last line · Ask not for whom the main menu animates · Blood's promotion and survival - all other gaming considerations are secondary · More than just a game · Need a hint? · Make a stand

Drakan
Well Done

Post by Drakan » Nov 1st, 2006, 13:45

Ahhh but the wolf does! Forgive me, old friend. I still have had no chance to sink my fangs into it but rest assured; the day I earn my chance to sink them into Blood's warm and gooey body, SIN will be attacked (in an affectionate way) after the main campaigns (Blood, Crpytic, Plasma) are finished off once and for all. Rest assured it will be reviewed!!!

Meantime Mr. Wangho, contact me, I have it. You can thank me later. :) (Hope it's ok with you, Mr. DD?)

BlooditeDrakan@gmail.com
Life is a privilege...Death is a promise...

Krypto
Well Done

Post by Krypto » Nov 1st, 2006, 18:15

I haven't played through those Addons because i was doing my 2nd play through of Blood and addons :) almost finished Cryptic Passage then to the user Episodes for more Blood to spill! :twisted:

Daedalus
Blood is my Medium

Post by Daedalus » Nov 1st, 2006, 18:34

That's perfectly fine, Drakan. Thanks a lot. Also, a thank you for your signature. I acquired some fun things there. :wink:

Shaggy
Pink on the Inside

Post by Shaggy » Nov 1st, 2006, 23:42

uhm, so i also wouldn't mind playing the sin campaign :}

BoredWithInventingAName gmail.com

thanks.
signatures are irrelevant. they are for those naive simpletons, who think that they can sum their whole life philosophy in several worlds.
idiots.

Drakan
Well Done

Post by Drakan » Nov 2nd, 2006, 07:29

You're all welcome lads! And, hmm, DD you still seem to be having trouble becoming a beast again. What's wrong? :lol:
Life is a privilege...Death is a promise...

mouth
Lightly Broiled

Post by mouth » Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:17

Could someone review Trip To Hell, Grandmother's House and Cold Screams? :)
Long live the new flesh!

wangho
Well Done

Post by wangho » Nov 2nd, 2006, 17:25

mouth wrote:Could someone review Trip To Hell, Grandmother's House and Cold Screams? :)
are they at Gameleader?

Dimebog
Troll of the Opera

Post by Dimebog » Nov 2nd, 2006, 17:35

Daedalus wrote:But I think I have some notoriousness (sounds like incorrect english, doesn't it?)
I'd believe the correcting word is actuallity notoriousnesnesness. (Angry Scientist)

@wangho:
Welcome aboard. :wink:
Raven wrote:Nevermore.

mouth
Lightly Broiled

Post by mouth » Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:33

wangho wrote:
mouth wrote:Could someone review Trip To Hell, Grandmother's House and Cold Screams? :)
are they at Gameleader?
yes.
Long live the new flesh!