BloodGDX

Discussion about Blood and its addons.
Blood of Nightmares
Well Done

BloodGDX

Post by Blood of Nightmares » Jun 3rd, 2017, 23:02

There now seems to be a new Java based source port for Blood that has been released: http://m210.duke4.net/

I've tried this myself and it seems to be using a previous version of Blood (v.100 I think) and also there's a few problems I've came across myself like the animated textures don't work (the fire textures for example), no guns akimbo for tesla cannons, no alt-fire for the life leech, using the alt fire on the voodoo doll doesn't automatically remove the weapon after use but when you select a different weapon it's no longer there in your inventory, certain usermaps don't work (for example one of wangho's earlier version of the nuthouse map doesn't work once you trend further into the map and the game crashes), cutscenes don't work, etc.

Has anyone tried this sourceport and what's your opinion on it?

Wookiestick
New user

Re: BloodGDX

Post by Wookiestick » Jun 9th, 2017, 03:08

It's my understanding that BloodGDX is a splicing of the leaked Blood alpha source code with the publicly released build/duke3d code.
It works, it's playable, and the AI is spot on to Blood retail. It does have it's share of bugs but it's had a pretty good run on patches to fix the biggest issues. Voxels don't work yet so it's all sprite based. Room over room rendering is not working yet. I like it quite a bit, and I'm hoping that m210 continues working on it with regular updates.
I'm pretty impressed with it, considering what he had to work with.

Tekedon
Pink on the Inside

Post by Tekedon » Jun 10th, 2017, 19:06

I like it too. It might not be perfect yet but M210 seems to be working very efficiently on it. Next update is going to include voxels. I'm sure in the end that this will almost be like a perfect port, which makes me very happy. I'm just hoping we get multiplayer support also.

Status Cruo
Pink on the Inside

Post by Status Cruo » Jun 10th, 2017, 21:20

Overall, physics (consequently gameplay and gore) feel surprisingly natural and smooth (compared to a variety of now defunct projects with similar goals), and it seems to me as it could easily pass for a "real beta" of the original if we didn't know any better. Truly well executed.

The readme mentions some of the current bugs and limitations which will become evident to the acquainted Bloodite anyways, but there's nothing (on the surface thereof) serious enough that should make the project inviable for completion.

On the downside, vsync+interpolation is not without hiccuping on this machine, but that's hardly anything compared to what it actually gets right (e.g. the choice method for alpha blending that smooths out the edges of the sprites rather than making them look like cutouts, which's a plague in modern source ports for other titles)

Looking forward to seeing more of BloodGDX 8)

Wookiestick
New user

Post by Wookiestick » Jul 21st, 2017, 14:48

For those that haven't made the plunge yet a lot of the biggest issues have been fixed, and I really recommend checking this out. Voxels now work, room over room rendering, it has widescreen support with the correct AR, and a launcher.

Tofu
New user

Post by Tofu » Sep 11th, 2017, 16:58

It's really, really good. I'm playing the latest release and it's identical gameplay wise (v 0.775). I can't tell anything off from movement, to cultist behaviour, damage modeling, gunplay, physics, environmental damage, Caleb's quips, it all seems to be there. Only difference I've noticed is your aim gets fucked up if you're standing on a slope (I think this was like Blood retail release 1.0). The colour change when you're drowning underwater also goes purple-y as opposed to dark blue, which is a bit weird but I don't mind it personally. It's still in beta though so of course there are a few bugs (the most glaring of which I've noticed are clipping issues, and explosives being able to harm you even if they explode next to you from behind a barrier) but my god this thing has so much potential. Dude has done an amazing job, hats off to him.

At the moment the renderer is polymost so unfortunately the aesthetics are currently lacking the shading qualities of the real game. Apparently there's a problem with producing the original look at higher resolutions. I've heard however that he's planning to rewrite the renderer so that the game has the exact same pixel shading of the original. Also he's already added the voxels and room over room; he's making tremendous progress and moving things along very quickly. I honestly think the man's a hero. Playing Blood at 120hz with perfect mouse aim feels so fucking good.